LegacyGT.com

Switchblade/Flip Key

DocHolladay23

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is correct, or you can send him some more $$ links to ebay auctions like I did and have him buy a new set for you and put it together, that way you are not w/out one set and just have to get the key cut and then programed to the car.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

That is correct, or you can send him some more $$ links to ebay auctions like I did and have him buy a new set for you and put it together, that way you are not w/out one set and just have to get the key cut and then programed to the car.

FYI it will cost $$ to get your key programmed and they will need all your keys and car to reset and reprogram.. my stealership quoted $100 for the programming and suggested I go to a locksmith to get it cut before I bring it to them. I have two sets of keys/fobs so I'm going to send my extra set to him to get retrofitted into the new shell. doing it this way I won't have to reprogram anythig since I'm using a working key/programer.

on another note if anyone wants a Tribeca key I'll be posting my blank Tribeca key in the FS thread..

Trademark, I guess I am lucky then. My dealiership is doing mine for free. I guess it pays to buddy up with the service manager.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I asked and they only charge $50 for the programming anyway and was willing to pay it. I see you are in renton, what dealiership were you working with? I have taken my old subies before I moved to CA with Carter and they were actually very competivally priced. Might be worth a call if you went this route.

For example, when I had my 90 legacy the AC compressor went out. I took it to Subaru Only in Lake City and they wanted 1k to replace it. Took it to a family friends mechanic, he wanted 900. Took it to Chaplens and they wanted 1200. Took it to Carter and they charged me 600. Talk about competive.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I asked and they only charge $50 for the programming anyway and was willing to pay it. I see you are in renton, what dealiership were you working with? I have taken my old subies before I moved to CA with Carter and they were actually very competivally priced. Might be worth a call if you went this route.

For example, when I had my 90 legacy the AC compressor went out. I took it to Subaru Only in Lake City and they wanted 1k to replace it. Took it to a family friends mechanic, he wanted 900. Took it to Chaplens and they wanted 1200. Took it to Carter and they charged me 600. Talk about competive.

nice! ya I went to Chaplins in bellevue.. they were doing an oil change and I asked the service guy.. nice to know you got better deals at Carter.. :spin:

nice! ya I went to Chaplins in bellevue.. they were doing an oil change and I asked the service guy.. nice to know you got better deals at Carter.. :spin:

Yeah, i went to chaplins when i bought my OB since that was where i bought my OB and legacy. great guys, just not very helpful when throwing out hypotheticals (at least for me) They programmed my both my fobs for free, but that was because they lost my other 2. They said it would take about 45 min, it ended up being around 2 hours in the end.

Yeah, i went to chaplins when i bought my OB since that was where i bought my OB and legacy. great guys, just not very helpful when throwing out hypotheticals (at least for me) They programmed my both my fobs for free, but that was because they lost my other 2. They said it would take about 45 min, it ended up being around 2 hours in the end.

eek

They're shipped from China, so I wouldnt expect it next week. Mine took more than 2 weeks.

Picked mine up at the Post Office this morning, so shipping wasn't too bad (1 week, they attempted delivery yesterday but I wasn't home).

Taking them apart was extremely easy, but I have 1 question, how do you get the blank key off the metal part that actually flips around? Does it have anything to do with that tiny hole? See pic below (sorry for the crappy pic, it's my camera phone).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/keyblank.jpg

Picked mine up at the Post Office this morning, so shipping wasn't too bad (1 week, they attempted delivery yesterday but I wasn't home).

Taking them apart was extremely easy, but I have 1 question, how do you get the blank key off the metal part that actually flips around? Does it have anything to do with that tiny hole? See pic below (sorry for the crappy pic, it's my camera phone).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/keyblank.jpg

This is exactly what I was wondering as well!!

By the looks of the picture you just need to punch that little piece out.

Archived