LegacyGT.com

Switchblade/Flip Key

DocHolladay23

I took my OEM key to Lowe's, and had a generic spare key made (should cost you $1 or so). THEN, you need to cut it down to fit the shoulder of the flip key (using a dremel). That's how I did it. Others may have done it differently.

Dito, but it cost me about $2.50. The dremel bit is fairly simple. Just use the blank that the flip comes with as a template and cut it down to size.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think i was the lucky one, i found a subaru blank on ebay that already had the cuts in it to fit the flip cases.

Then i just took it to lowes and had it cut.

This was back in Sept - 08 , i haven't seen one since then

Like doc said, as long as you use one of the original immobilizers, then you don't need to visit the dealership

I took my OEM key to Lowe's, and had a generic spare key made (should cost you $1 or so). THEN, you need to cut it down to fit the shoulder of the flip key (using a dremel). That's how I did it. Others may have done it differently.

Ahhh okay. For some reason I was under the impression normal hardware stores wouldn't cut car keys. :confused:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

my local HW store said they would absolutely not cut a key with the Immobilizer in it.. for "insurance reasons" so now I get to pay $50 for a lock smith just to cut the key.. I was like !!!???!!!???!!!??!!??!!??!!?!?!?!?! still haven't gotten mine cut just because I can't see paying that much for it!

^ see, that's what I'm worried about. I don't mind spending a little to do this project, but if I have to spend that much to get a key cut, it's not worth it, IMO.
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

so I look at my keys and they seem pretty damn solid. Am I missing something here? Do any of you happen to have some more detailed instructions on exactly where to cut to get the chip out?

Winning the internet

my local HW store said they would absolutely not cut a key with the Immobilizer in it.. for "insurance reasons" so now I get to pay $50 for a lock smith just to cut the key.. I was like !!!???!!!???!!!??!!??!!??!!?!?!?!?! still haven't gotten mine cut just because I can't see paying that much for it!

thats just silly...i had a local shop by me do it for less than $10. it took him all of maybe 5 mins or so.

I think it's generally a stupid feature to begin with, and a way for the stealerships to make more money off of cutting custom keys.

I mean really, if this is such a great feature, why do we even have keys at all? Why not just have a push button start and the chip placed some place where it can be read by it's reader.

Winning the internet

So I wonder if it's possible to just mount that chip some place in side of the steering column and forget all about the stupid immobilizer feature.

Forgetting about the security issue here, I doubt this would work due to the distance from the ignition. While numerous posts from others have listed this as a concern, I experienced an example first hand.

When I first put my Switchblade/Flip Key together, I only place the transponder chip inside without securing in any way. Within the first week of using the new key fob, the chip got knocked out of place inside the shell. Needless to say, the car would not start until I took the switchblade apart and moved the chip securely back into place.

As a related note, I would advise anyone who is making a custom switchblade key to make sure the transponder chip is held securely in place before screwing it all together.

Local locksmith tried to cut the key and messed up.. Now I gotta get another blank off eBay!?!?!???!?!?

i would try another locksmith...my guy supplied key for me and all. i only had to refine the groove where the pin when into with a dremel.

Archived