LegacyGT.com

Switchblade/Flip Key

DocHolladay23

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
you just buy a subaru blank, and dremel the end to fit in the swivel mech. Honda keys are not the same as subaru keys, no matter how much you cut and shape a honda blank, it still wont fit

Just got my Honda setup by mail and now I just have to work on the key. I am no locksmith, but in comparing the keys how is that the honda blank cannot be cut to work? I could understand if there are parts on the honda key that are smaller than the subaru key, but that is not the case.

I would like to avoid hacking my existing key, and I think I am just to eager to get this done rather than have to wait for a new subaru key...not to mention added expense.

Just got my Honda setup by mail and now I just have to work on the key. I am no locksmith, but in comparing the keys how is that the honda blank cannot be cut to work? I could understand if there are parts on the honda key that are smaller than the subaru key, but that is not the case.

I would like to avoid hacking my existing key, and I think I am just to eager to get this done rather than have to wait for a new subaru key...not to mention added expense.

Take your current key to Lowe's and get a spare made. Hack that key. The Honda key is too thick, and I don't think key cutters are designed to cut to "thickness".

The '08 key fobs are incredibly easy to take apart. One tiny screw, then the lock/unlock part pops right out and so does the immobilizer chip. You can swap them back and forth all day long without issue if you want to go back to a "stock" key.

do you really want to cut down the thick honda key to fit the subaru locks??

Is there any reason I would not want to? Just looking for the easiest and least expensive way to get a key cut.

As far as getting a new key from Lowe's or such...I guess I am trying to avoid if possible learning how good or bad my metal cutting skills with the dremel will turn out.

seems like the lazy way of thinking it through. I already have this, so why should I get the RIGHT part if I can ghetto this one to fit and save $2 :)

Instead of getting the right size blank, you'd have to cut down the thickness as well.

but i guess you get what you pay for also works with you get what you put in to it.

Instead of destroying my spare key or valet key, I ordered a valet blank from subarugenuineparts.com $10 plus $9 for shipping whereas the dealer wanted over $45 to cut key and then an hour of labor ($125) to program it which I didn't need but should have the blank tomorrow, then to lowes to cut it. Didn't have a key at lowes made as didn't want the entire metal key have and have to cut the end off and try to figure out how to make it fit in there, so hopefully this route will work.

Instead of destroying my spare key or valet key, I ordered a valet blank from subarugenuineparts.com $10 plus $9 for shipping whereas the dealer wanted over $45 to cut key and then an hour of labor ($125) to program it which I didn't need but should have the blank tomorrow, then to lowes to cut it. Didn't have a key at lowes made as didn't want the entire metal key have and have to cut the end off and try to figure out how to make it fit in there, so hopefully this route will work.

On the new spare valet key won't you still need to cut the end some and shape it to fit in the flip part? I wouldn't think they'd be the same shape/size.

And you don't need to destroy the FOB on the '08 keys. It's a simple small phillips head screw, and you pop the fob open, and the button piece and the immobilizer basically just pop right out in one piece. Incredibly easy to put them back in the OEM key if you want (I've done it 3 or 4 times already).

On the new spare valet key won't you still need to cut the end some and shape it to fit in the flip part? I wouldn't think they'd be the same shape/size.

And you don't need to destroy the FOB on the '08 keys. It's a simple small phillips head screw, and you pop the fob open, and the button piece and the immobilizer basically just pop right out in one piece. Incredibly easy to put them back in the OEM key if you want (I've done it 3 or 4 times already).

That's what I did, and decided to cut up the valet key and keep this one as the untouched backup key.

I think its funny that everyone is crying about cutting up their valet key. I'm pretty sure out of every car I've owned, this is the first time that key was actually USEFUL for something...lol

Is there any reason I would not want to? Just looking for the easiest and least expensive way to get a key cut.

As far as getting a new key from Lowe's or such...I guess I am trying to avoid if possible learning how good or bad my metal cutting skills with the dremel will turn out.

Most people i know just leave the valet key at home and dont touch it. I was a valet for 2 years and not once did i have someone actually hand me the valet key.

In short, the honda key blank that you receive is just too hard to cut down to size. First of all, it is thicker than the subaru keys, so you would have to make it thinner, possible by constant sanding. Then (correct me if i'm wrong) you would have to shape the nose of the key to match. After that you need to shave down certain areas and cut the channels on either side.

So you not only have to thin out the honda blank, you have to create the channels, shape the nose and thin out certain halfs of either side. Do you really want to go through all this trouble while also trying to avoid your possibly good/bad dremel skills?

Not to be mean, but cutting down the spare key is the EASIEST way to go while saving the most money

Most people i know just leave the valet key at home and dont touch it. I was a valet for 2 years and not once did i have someone actually hand me the valet key.

In short, the honda key blank that you receive is just too hard to cut down to size. First of all, it is thicker than the subaru keys, so you would have to make it thinner, possible by constant sanding. Then (correct me if i'm wrong) you would have to shape the nose of the key to match. After that you need to shave down certain areas and cut the channels on either side.

So you not only have to thin out the honda blank, you have to create the channels, shape the nose and thin out certain halfs of either side. Do you really want to go through all this trouble while also trying to avoid your possibly good/bad dremel skills?

Not to be mean, but cutting down the spare key is the EASIEST way to go while saving the most money

I normally don't use the valet key, but I have a few times, usually if I drop my car at the dealer and it's going to be there for a while, just don't feel like taking my house keys off my car key. Also used it when I blew my tires and had to have my car towed. So, it has come in handy a couple of times.

I figured a key store might have the tools required to cut the honda blank to spec.

I was able to simplify this job by going to a local locksmith after a failed attempt at going to home depot. The locksmith not only provided a cut key blank, but was able to cut it as close as possible to match the grooved end on the honda blank. I refined the end when I got home and was able to finish the process in a very short amount of time.

Thanks again to all who contributed with the info necessary to complete this relatively simple project!

754615785_key1.jpg.e93238bbb276aa9f570f3684ac8b72a0.jpg

1593361237_key2.thumb.jpg.b293268546b3d6009ab6face99fe8be2.jpg

2122986885_key3.jpg.9c17e8cbdca1190b13c633882893fdb1.jpg

strykr...trying that particular key would likely be counterproductive as the end of the key is completely different. You would probably have to cut farther down the key and lose much needed metal.

My recommendation as it worked for me...try a local locksmith(might not get someone quite so helpful at a home depot or walmart) and have them cut a new replica key. Ask if they can cut the end of that to match your blank end as close as possible. You might still have to take the dremel to it to perfect the end, and this will save you from cutting up your spare key.

I didnt mean that exact key per se, but a flip key blank in general. I dont know which, if any, of the blanks would be close enough to the subaru key. Just thought it might make for less dremel work since its already made for a flip key.

Did the locksmith you went to have a comparable key to the subaru? Or did you have to bring a subaru blank with you?

I didnt mean that exact key per se, but a flip key blank in general. I dont know which, if any, of the blanks would be close enough to the subaru key. Just thought it might make for less dremel work since its already made for a flip key.

Did the locksmith you went to have a comparable key to the subaru? Or did you have to bring a subaru blank with you?

The locksmith used his own blank key to cut to spec. I showed him the honda blank that came with the shell so he could match the end.

Archived