Switchblade/Flip Key

DocHolladay23

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Worked on mine this afternoon

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3399/3237472948_056c3d5e73.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/3237476712_b6e5471aa1.jpg

Looks good. How'd everything turn out with the flip operation? Any rubbing? You didn't bend your spring like I did, did ya? :lol:

This is awesome I can't believe I missed this thread!

So the process to do this is:

1. Buy Honda Flip Key Shell
  2. Wait for shell to arrive
  3. Take apart Subaru Fob & Honda shell
  4. Trim Subaru internals to fit in Honda shell
  5. Take chip from Subaru fob and put in Honda fob.
  6. Pop pin out
  7. Get new key cut (from lowes/homedepot?), dremel it to match flip key.
  8. Assemble everything

Did I miss anything? Does anyone have a pic of the new key cut to fit into the flip thingie? Does it look like this:

http://www.lsk.net.cn/ebay/blade/11/25.jpg

Oh boy I can't wait to do this! I'm just a bit confused on getting the new key cut and dremeled to fit into the flip part. Can anyone clear it up for me?

Thanks.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

4. Trim Subaru internals to fit in Honda shell
  5. Take chip from Subaru fob and put in Honda fob.
  6. Pop pin out
  7. Get new key cut (from lowes/homedepot?), dremel it to match flip key.
  8. Assemble everything

Did I miss anything? Does anyone have a pic of the new key cut to fit into the flip thingie? Does it look like this:

http://www.lsk.net.cn/ebay/blade/11/25.jpg

Oh boy I can't wait to do this! I'm just a bit confused on getting the new key cut and dremeled to fit into the flip part. Can anyone clear it up for me?

Thanks.

See that little part at the top of the pic that says 25, that little tab is the one you will have to trim the subaru key to. Some of the channels are angled, some aren't . pretty much, when you get the new honda fob, take out the blank and just match the subaru dremel key to the honda blank

^ Ahh, that's what I figured. And you can get a new Subaru key at somewhere like Lowes?

I'm also assuming that if you cut the notch right, there wont be any wiggle with the key, right?

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

See that little part at the top of the pic that says 25, that little tab is the one you will have to trim the subaru key to. Some of the channels are angled, some aren't . pretty much, when you get the new honda fob, take out the blank and just match the subaru dremel key to the honda blank

I think I'm gonna give dremel'ing the key another go around. Not happy with the fitment of mine....it's a tad loose.

4. Trim the 3 hexagons in the Honda shell like firepyro said in an earlier post!
  5. Trim the bottom of the panic button opening on the Honda shell.

6. Trim Subaru internals to fit in Honda shell
  7. Take chip from Subaru fob and put in Honda fob.
  8. Pop pin out
  9. Get new key cut (from lowes/homedepot?), dremel it to match flip key.
  10. Assemble everything

Thanks.

Added in bold some steps you missed. :)

Is the thickness of the honda key the same as the subie key? If not exactly, does lowes, home depot, etc have a blank key that will match better?

thanks for clearing up firepyro...the way i understood from other posts was that you can just go to lowes, etc and they would cut to proper size. I guess you do need to buy a separate subaru key then if you do not want to hack the original.

I really hope this is the honda key blank that everyone's been buying b/c i just bought one. figured the price was good and shipping wasn't expensive as it's not coming from china like some of the other deals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200304778120#ht_2540wt_916

Still a number of them available....

Archived