LegacyGT.com

Switchblade/Flip Key

DocHolladay23

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the same problem that i ran into. I bought a couple different model flip keys, this is because i found one that already had a pre cut blank. I used a small hammer and a T-6 size torx head. Since i don't really have a sized punch set, i went through different hex keys to find approx size, then went with the torx because it has a flatter surface on the top. It will require some force, get the pin almost halfway and then you can take some pliers to it.

Have you tried it from both sides?

This is the same problem that i ran into. I bought a couple different model flip keys, this is because i found one that already had a pre cut blank. I used a small hammer and a T-6 size torx head. Since i don't really have a sized punch set, i went through different hex keys to find approx size, then went with the torx because it has a flatter surface on the top. It will require some force, get the pin almost halfway and then you can take some pliers to it.

Have you tried it from both sides?

Yeah, tried it from both sides. Lemme go rummage through our engineers tool box and see what I can come up with.

So, I'll assume from what you're saying it's just a slide and not a screw-in type.

How the heck do you go about getting your key blade onto the flip part of the new key?

I'm going to have to dremel it to fit into the joint, and then dremel a groove across the key so the pin can hold it in there. But that's a job for tomorrow.

Got the key cut and the imobilizer and fob programmed to the car. The Hundi blank, they weren't able to cut it for some reason. So I had them cut the subaru blank and that it works ok. The fob has to fit inside the ring, so it can be a little hard to turn with the fob turned in one direction. But it WORKS :). I am thinking of trying to find a subaru key that doesn't have the plastic on it and having it cut, then cutting it down to fit the flip, so that the fob doesn't have to fit inside the ignition ring.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Oh, almost forgot, got all buttons to work, I think w/out problem. I took out the white button back from the Hundi fob and put in the black rubber from the subaru fob and the front buttons work better now. I also used the red rubber from the pannic button to between the pannic button on the fob and the internals. So far my tests have showed it to work better.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Well, it's done. Dremeling the key was the biggest pain in the ass as you have to trim down the neck to fit in the part that rotates (the slot is thinner and narrower than a normal key), and getting the angle right (so the key doesn't hit the sides when folded away) wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be. So after all that, and cutting a groove for the pin to go back in in the right spot, while putting it back together, I screw up the spring that actually makes it pop out. :lol:

Anyone know where I can source a spring like that? :lol:

Well, it's done. Dremeling the key was the biggest pain in the ass as you have to trim down the neck to fit in the part that rotates (the slot is thinner and narrower than a normal key), and getting the angle right (so the key doesn't hit the sides when folded away) wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be. So after all that, and cutting a groove for the pin to go back in in the right spot, while putting it back together, I screw up the spring that actually makes it pop out. :lol:

I did mine tonight... dremel with a remote extension... i didn't have too much difficulty making my 08 (yes, i bought an 08 key fob for my 06 back in the day) key fit in the switchblade slot.... Cutting disc to make the sharper marks and outlines, and the drum sander to gradually make it fit snugly... took about 20-30 minutes including the groove.

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Getting the pin out was the biggest pain!:lol: I didn't know the pin was freaking angled. Broke two drill bits :mad:

And now because my groove is a bit wider, the key wiggles. So now it gets stuck too! :rolleyes:

But I'm keeping it, it was fun.:cool:

Archived