LegacyGT.com

testes1010's '05 LGT Mod thread.

testes1010

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought that would come up so I thought a 'range' might be a better way to ask. I'm just curious, If I get my car protuned I'll know to spot when somethings wrong. Without a range ya just don't know until you come back here and post up.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Question for the 'tuners' out there.

IYO, what is the whp/wtq range expected from a protune running VF52, Perrin TMIC, 740's, Walbro pump, Grimspeed headers, and full 3" TBE.

I think some are getting #'s similar to Testes but they "do" have injectors/pump/upgraded TMIC.

I figure with larger Injectors, fuel pump & TMIC I've got another 15-20whp or so left with this turbo along with at least another 20wtq.

How much more agressive is your tune than your average safe pro-tune? Any guess on whp, wtq? Looks like your pulling some great power out of that thing!

From what everyone is telling me is that I'm running alot more timing than most able to get by with, yes our fuel is good stuff. I haven't directly compared others' timing curve to know for sure, but even with just my STG1 map(before I had any exhaust mods) I was pulling more grams/sec than some pull with full custom tuned STG2 and I was under 17psi.

Some comments from LittleBlueGT, he's running a 44lb/min turbo, quite a bit larger than the VF52. I would guess the VF52 weighs in ~38lb/mins.

Nice to see your logs.

I compared (in detail) your timing vs my timing. I am running considerably less timing (w/ a bit more airflow) but on 91 + alky. I cannot get anywhere close to the timing you are running w/o hints of knock. :(

I am pushing a legit 30 g/s more air, at 11.7:1 AFR and cannot get much over 330 whp.

On my pump tune (obviously my 44 lb turbo is going to be a bit more efficient at 280 g/s then yours) I push about 280 g/s, and make about 270 whp. That is at 11:1 AFR, I can't push much more then about .5 degree more timing, or else I get knock.

I wish I had your guys gas.

Ok, understanding that LittleBlueGTis using a larger turbo and I to and am on 91 pump. Am I looking at only 270whp or close to it?

If I can't break 300 on SoCal 91 pump then I'll have to save for AVO's FMIC and wait until summer to get it done.

Lol...that doesn't help. Just looking for an average I suppose.

I intend to install all supporting mods so no stock injectors.

Is there more to be had from a VF40-18G?

Is there more to be had from a VF40-18G?

IMHO, the turbine is the restriction on the VF40, not compressor. The 18G compressor flow will ~40lb/min, if the turbine isn't too much a restriction. The turbine on the VF52 is much much larger than that of a VF40. The VF52 seems to be a VF39/43 in LGT/+08WRX fitment which in my experience the VF39's are roughly 36-38lbs/min turbos.

Jeremy

^ My stock TMIC has seen 24psi and the endtanks are still solidly attached, if that gives you any relief.

On the other hand, one of the NW guys went stage 2 last Saturday and had a leaky TMIC on Sunday.

Keep your fingers crossed. :)

So after the new pump and redone top mount, what if anything, is on your list of future power mods? Or are you gonna be happy where you are and gonna move on to suspension work next?

Injectors then bump the boost up to 22-24psi peak if the car is still making lots and lots of power at that point. More than likely after that I'll be done with the engine mods, however I loved my meth injection on the WRX I'm not sure if I'm willing to keep up with the maintenance/hassle it requires. New tires will be in the future as well as a tint job & getting a door ding fixed that was on there when I bought it.

The car rides too nice to do much to the suspension, I sound like an old fogy.:lol: Its staying sleeper on the exterior, the WRX drew too much attention with the cops.

Jeremy

I came from a MINI I drove for roughly 2 years so I'm used to a stiff ride. I miss the "point and go" driving style so a sway bar set is in my future along with, as you said, new rubber. And my head is constantly going with what kind of wheels to put said tires on. I want either STi BBS's or have really taken a lking to the AME Tracers that were posted in the wheel & tire section. And I too have a ding in the door that was there when I got mine so tax money may go to getting that fix0red.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice, I wish it was easier to find gas without 10% ethanol.

Anyone found some sort of database, local or otherwise, that lists stations who don't carry E10? Be nice to have versus driving around looking, but I'll definitely pay attention from now on when I fill up.

Why are you guys avoiding E10? I can see how it would change your tune, slightly, but I know a lot of guys purposely do up to a third tank of E85 for some extra torque and knock resistance.

If E85 (or E70 in the winter) is wonderful (and it is), why is E10 so bad? Is it that you're just after consistent fuel every fill-up throughout the year?

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Why are you guys avoiding E10? I can see how it would change your tune, slightly, but I know a lot of guys purposely do up to a third tank of E85 for some extra torque and knock resistance.

If E85 (or E70 in the winter) is wonderful (and it is), why is E10 so bad? Is it that you're just after consistent fuel every fill-up throughout the year?

It's because E85 cars are tuned for E85. The E10 crap is just nothing more than watered down gas. Yes, I know it's alcohol but to me, it might as well be water. That small of an amount won't increase any knock resistance or octane. IMO, that's nothing more than a way for gas companies to spend less and charge more.:spin:Exxon and their 45 billion or whatever it was in profit can blow me.:lol:

^^ So even on a straight gas (normal) tune, you think you make less power with E10? I would think once your LTFT's adjust to it (seasonally), you'd make the same. One could make a case for more power... I just have a hard time believing you'd make less.

I'm sure testes has got some acceleration plots for me.. ;)

My '05 LGT

I'm sure it could go either way, to tell you the truth. It's just that when I buy gas, I want gas. Not some alcohol/gas cocktail. My dad bought me a Sunoco gift card for X-mas and all they offered at my nearest one was a 10% brew. It didn't cost me anything so I figured what the hell? It felt a little different but that's also because a week beforehand I just reflashed her and I know I was trying to feel every small difference to make nothing was FUBAR'ed. If I went and did it today, I probably wouldn't notice a thing.

i can't speak for everywhere, but the 10% ethanol brew in Utah is crap. The reason being is that they use 10% ethanol (with an octane rating of 100+) and mix it with crap gas (octane rating of <90) to come up with an octane of 91. When i run it with a normal map (other then my e85 map) I don't notice a difference in power so much as a difference in mileage.

Guys who mix 30% e85 with 91 premium are essentially boosting their octane rating up to 94-96 depending on the season. Most maps can take advantage of it a little bit, but not a ton.

The reason being is that they use 10% ethanol (with an octane rating of 100+) and mix it with crap gas (octane rating of <90) to come up with an octane of 91.

Ahh... that must be it. I'm also not liking my winter fuel blend, BTW, because they put 15% more gas in my ethanol... my E85 is just E70 right now.

My '05 LGT

Archived