LegacyGT.com

testes1010's '05 LGT Mod thread.

testes1010

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: Are you saying nothing beats throttle responsiveness quite like a MBC?

I haven't even considered an MBC since I used one on my 88 ford thunderbird turbo coupe. But in that application, it was beautiful....$40 and the powerband was transformed (no tuning in that application!).

I'd love to find a way to get much faster throttle response throughtout the powerband... :)

Joe

Question: Are you saying nothing beats throttle responsiveness quite like a MBC?

I haven't even considered an MBC since I used one on my 88 ford thunderbird turbo coupe. But in that application, it was beautiful....$40 and the powerband was transformed (no tuning in that application!).

I'd love to find a way to get much faster throttle response throughtout the powerband... :)

Joe

He means in combination with ECU tuning. A MBC by itself is just asking for trouble.

I wasn't assuming without tuning. I guess I just haven't seen an MBC utilized for most tuned LGTs....

Testes - Can you comment on the responsiveness of the otherwise stock LGT with an MBC + tune? How does the driving characteristics differ?

Be nice to run a one-less-cat DP, MBC, and OS tune for a really cheap, responsive stage 2 setup.

Joe

P.s. my '88 thunderbird turbo coupe pushed 18 PSI from around 2800-3200 RPMS to over 5500 RPMs using only a MBC and a cone filter stuck on the end of the intake. It transformed the car, as the boost was no longer electronically limited.

It doesn't quite get as cold here in Evansville as it does in South Bend, its a +6hr drive to South Bend from here, Evansville is the most southern point in Indiana.

Where are you from? further north?

I'm actually from the DFW area in Texas, I was just visiting on business. :)

Testes - Can you comment on the responsiveness of the otherwise stock LGT with an MBC + tune? How does the driving characteristics differ?

Joe the responsiveness is damn near instantaneous when compared to OEM boost mapping. You still have to watch out for PTFB(partial throttle, full boost) but some creative open loop fuel mapping can make it a bit more safe, even though its still not a recommended situation. As long as you remember that anytime you need to get on it, get in the correct gear(ie, shift down) you'll be fine.

Some interesting results from the addition of just a Magnaflow CBE to my STG1 map, this is using the exact same map I used for the STG1 runs posted previously.

Runs: My STG1 map w/ Magnaflow CBE:

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/uploads/monthly_11_2008/post-367-1226971292.gif

Runs: My STG1 map w/ Magnaflow CBE vs. just my STG1 map(13whp/18wtq gain over stock CBE w/ STG1 map):

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/uploads/monthly_11_2008/post-367-1226970810.gif

Runs: My STG1 map w/ Magnaflow CBE vs. 100% stock/100% stock mapping(34whp/46wtq over stock CBE/stock mapping):

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/uploads/monthly_11_2008/post-367-1226971110.gif

13HP and almost 20ft-lbs?! Holy crap. A lot of people say the gain is all in the DP. I can't wait to see what that brings you....

I'm in shock as well with the gains, the g/sec went from ~233 @ STG1 w/ the stock CBE to 244g/sec w/ the addition of the Magnaflow CBE using the same map.

I can't wait for the catless DP as well, but at the same I'll probably be doing the catless UP & P&P&C'd manifold w/ a Grimmspeed X-over pipe. After a solid STG2 Map I'll be adding the Tuning Alliance TMIC I have in the garage.

Nice to have another tuner on board that likes to show us the graphs.:)

Any chance you can post a screen shot using airboy's spreadsheet and the excell function. A lot of us here use it.

As a side note, I don't mind sharing logs at all, if you don't mind it would be nice to have your logs attached, then we can follow along better (makes for better tuning discussions).

Just change (if not using vista) your ext to .pdf and post.

Thanks!:)

All I did today was a quick & dirty dyno pull, just RPM, KC, & Load. I'm definitely willing to share logs no problem. Attached is Airboys Dyno of the (249/290)data used for the DLL graphs above, I also changed the weight of the LGT to 3300 in Airboy's graph to make it the same as the DLL def Airboy smoothing set to 4.

airboyxlsdyno.gif.7c42d56e2347afba9a15967cb8da58d1.gif

hmm just from a stage 1 tune and CBE...I should see what my whp numbers are then. didn't think stage 1 went up that high.

thanks.

Depends on how far you push the tune. Remeber the majority of stg 1 tunes are just conservative off the shelf maps. When dyno/road tuning you can get as much out of the car as it can safely take. However it closens the gap between stg1 and stg2.

:eek:

Wow, I was moving 244 g/s while stage 2 with an aftermarket TMIC.

Have you rescaled your intake or is that the stock scaling?

Great job!! :)

Thanks! It is stock scaling, 100% stock intake w/ OEM filter.

The linked log on bottom of pg3 from this morning was 249.9g/sec via a few tweaks I made to my map last night. I have a few more tweaks to add this afternoon.;)

Thanks for the graphs.

I like threads like this.:wub:

Thanks, if there's anything specifically requested just let me know. Once I get 'done' tweaking in the STG1 I will most-likely post the map up for peer-review, granted the maps results are speaking for themselves.

Just to clarify to anyone keeping up with the thread, the ONLY mods done to the car is a Magnaflow CBE(Magnaflow Part #: 16747), Hallman PRO MBC(set to peak ~17psi), and my custom tuning.

The car has Stock intake including stock OEM Filter (stock MAF scaling), stock exhaust from the heads to the end of the midpipe cat, stock TMIC, stock AVCS tables.

So are you using the OEM EBCS at lower throttle settings, and the MBC at higher ones?

If so you are trying for 17 psi with the stock turbo, it obviously doesn't acheive it (just like the guys that do a hybrid type MBC on there STIs), but you are essentially maxxing out the turbo at higher rpm.

I have no specific requests right now, but once you switch to a bigger turbo I might have a few.

Archived