LegacyGT.com

The Official Tuning Thread

Infamous1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eh, not bad, tiny knock here and there but mostly in the real low load ranges

I'd add, eliminate that 32-4400 max-load knock. You can never tolerate knock at max load.

Reset and see if it shows up there again. If it does, correct it ASAP.

Thanks guys

How long after the ecu reset should I report back ?

After 50-100 miles with some logging runs and "spirited" driving in it, checking daily for knock... if it takes that long. If you see any knock at max load at any RPM, at any time, take care of it.

This isn't saying ignore knock at lower RPM and loads, especially if it keeps recurring in the same place. That should be addressed as well. But it is knock when the engine is at WOT and high RPMs that kills motors.

Back the timing off where it knocks until there is none there.

Never stop checking. Make it a habit. Conditions change, gasoline changes, flat land vs mountains, etc. Checking is easy, replacing engines is not.

That is one knock count, I wouldn't put to much effort into that. It could easily been picked up on a bad shift. Like I tell customers often, do not get all caught up in logged data unless you want to get into tuning your own vehicle.

So here's What my logs look like and my learning view. The lv looks cleaner than the one before with no 'knock' throughout the ranges. Most of the knock sums picked up in my log were under 3k rpm.

So if you're bored, please take a look at it please and tell me your thoughts.

EDIT: I can't upload my excel sheet. Any trick to convert to file to get it uploaded ?

1236527611_ibr_adam09bnr100mile.jpg.a906821093fe3105de9eb30d7488d6bb.jpg

I have a tuning question for you guys....or I should say DE-tuning question:

With the gas prices @ $4.50 / gal for premium and soon to be $5 / gal I was wondering how hard it would be to make a 87 octane map. I was thinking of an "economy" map that cut out boost control (just running waste gate pressure) and timing to match.

Is this a viable idea? I really don't know, but the gas prices are KILLING me. :mad:

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I have a tuning question for you guys....or I should say DE-tuning question:

With the gas prices @ $4.50 / gal for premium and soon to be $5 / gal I was wondering how hard it would be to make a 87 octane map. I was thinking of an "economy" map that cut out boost control (just running waste gate pressure) and timing to match.

Is this a viable idea? I really don't know, but the gas prices are KILLING me. :mad:

you bought the wrong car

I made my map to where anything under 3000 rpm its easy on gas. If you look at

your current map it probably pretty close to doing the same thing. Anything

over 3000 and its better perf again. So just keep your foot out of it.

I'd love to hear more. :spin:

you bought the wrong car

Negative Ghostrider. On the flip side I bought the PERFECT car for my needs. I just want to save a few bucks at the pump when I am driving around town and not playing boy racer <--Maybe that's what you do? :rolleyes:

Besides, I have used my car plenty on track days, auto-x and rally-x to justify the power. My next event is the Lone Pine Time trial and I am sure to load my 91 octane map (or E85 if I can find some) at that point. Until then, I see no reason to have all the power and spend an extra $.30 - $.40 cents a gallon.

I think he's saying that if it's such a big deal to you to pinch pennies and save 20 cents/gallon at the pump, then you shouldn't be driving a turbocharged car. Since you made the decision to buy a turbocharged car, kwitcherbitchin and suck it up.

No, I know how to do it. I've been in Jersey and had the guy fill up with regular instead of 93 and had to create and load a map before I drove off. I didn't pay for the tank and I tracked knock. Drove safely on that tank, albeit with less power. I still have the map saved and I suppose I COULD send it to you. I'm sure it's not as good as something a tuner would make as it was created in 10 minutes by me, but it worked just fine for what I needed it for, and it was free. That gas station attendant is lucky I had my laptop in the car with me.

Well, I just did the math based on how much I drive and it's only a potential savings of a few hundred a year. Not really peanuts, but not a whole lot of money either. I still may do it just to see how it goes.

I wish I had E85 in my area, that way I could have the better power and cheaper fuel. The downside is the worse mileage of course. I wonder if anyone here has done a cost analysis of E85 price per gallon (savings) vs. the worse mileage than gasoline.

:lol: That's a a funny link!

Not quite what I was looking for, but close enough. It looks like the mileage loss with E85 varies quite a bit from platform to platform. It would be nice to see an LGT tuned for E85 with some long(ish) term data to back it up to see how bad the mileage really is vs. gasoline.

Here is another tuning question for you "MOAR POWER!" fan boi's... Lean Cruise Mode :eek: Discuss.

Archived