LegacyGT.com

The Official Tuning Thread

Infamous1

If the access port has a mini-usb port on the bottom you can plug into the lap top with that- otherwise you may have to contact Cobb for the multi-pin to USB-A connector.

You also want to go to the Cobb website and download the software for your computer- the Accessport Manager

good luck

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought 05' LGT 5EAT already tuned, looking for a great place in NH

to get tuned. One guy said Claremont, another said Bren in Mass.

any other options? car came tuned w/ a Cobb Accessport (old style)

I have no clue...

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

perhaps I'd like to know more about the existing tune, do some D/L

would also like a better MPG option for when I'm not goin' hard on it

less than 250 miles per tank currently

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Bought 05' LGT 5EAT already tuned, looking for a great place in NH

to get tuned. One guy said Claremont, another said Bren in Mass.

any other options? car came tuned w/ a Cobb Accessport (old style)

I have no clue...

Make the trip to bren.

• 3 weeks later...
Got a 05 5EAT with 108,000 on it. First time Subaru owner but i am looking at getting a COBB CAI and then tuning it. Where in NY , westchester area is there a reputable place to go to get this done.

ANy help you guys can give would be great.

an intake will gain you nothing.

Welcome captainobvious. As a first time Subaru owner, you should do some searching around these parts to see what the story is with mods. Some are useless, others are dangerous without a tune. Such as an intake, which is both :) The stock intake flows sufficient air for the stock turbo.

Thanks Fishbone. Im new to this whole thing, want to get the best performance and gas mileage out of it. A friend of mine told me that any aftermarket part i put on the car i should get it tuned. He quoted me $250.00 for the tune, which i think is high? Not sure. I was looking at a downpipe and up pipe as well. Someone told me to get the one with the cat on it off the car before the turbo sucks something into it. Look forward to searching the site, I do have to get a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge in as well.

Your friend is spot-on with pricing and suggestion, especially if his tuning is a road tune with wideband 02. You can get an e-tune through here for $150 but IMHO, the tuner being in the car and having wbo2 yeilds better results.

I'll make it easy for you. Go Stage 2 from the get go, you won't regret it.

Catless up-pipe, either catless or catted downpipe, tune, tranny cooler for the auto. You may have to upgrade the intercooler if your stocker separates.

Keep up with your tranny fluid changes and if it feels slushy and slow, see here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-valve-body-upgrades-finally-164484.html

Stage 2 with a good tune will really wake the car up and you will still get decent mileage.

This is all hardware talk so if you have any other questions after you look around on here, open up a separate thread or PM me.

I having a short block built by AMS in west Chicago. Anyone have any experience with this level of work from these guys? They seem to not even give me a solid delivery date which makes me question everything else.

thoughts appreciated

der Mutt

• 1 month later...
Question, my friend just so happens to have a Cobb Accessport for his 05 lgt. I myself have a 05 lgt (stock). Can i use his accessport on my car or is that a bad idea? He said its basically paired to his car, but may be able to un-pair it and tweak my car. :)

The tunes only work on the married car. If you unmarry it, the tune is gone. You can only have 1 car married at a time with an AP. So unless your friend doesnt want to use the AP anymore, you can keep it married to yours with the tune.

The correct terminology is installed, not married or paired. The AP controls only a single vehicle at a time, the one it is installed on. You can repeatedly uninstall and install on different cars, provided you have a map appropriate to each car on the AP.

Uninstall is way easier than divorce, unless connecting the green test clips provides a great challenge for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had an epiphany on the tune for boost vs timing debate.

I know ultimately you tune for the most timing you can run at a boost level but i always wondered why cars blow up more on 18 psi and 300whp then 20psi and 300whp on the same turbo...

My thoughts are : the 20 psi car is EXPECTING higher intake temps and has reduced timing to compensate and is less affected when ambient temps go through the roof where the 18psi car running more timing will knock like hell if the intercooler becomes heat soaked on a 100*+ day. Which is why people say tuning for boost is better then timing.

Because the higher boost car isn't going to be as affected by higher ambient temps because the discharge temp from the turbo is higher so the heat transfer is still remotely efficient even on hot days.

Archived