LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

Drank my first pliny clone last night. Pretty damn good, must be at least 8%, smells boozy but doesn't taste it.

But It took almost four weeks in the bottle before it developed any carbonation. Any idea why?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Higher alcohol beers can be a little tough on the yeast. I always add a tiny bit of fresh yeast back in at bottling on anything over 7.5ish% or anything that has bulk aged for a period of time. Temperature is important while bottle conditioning. Keep it as close to 70* as you can until it's fully carbed.

• Moderators
Drank my first pliny clone last night. Pretty damn good, must be at least 8%, smells boozy but doesn't taste it.

But It took almost four weeks in the bottle before it developed any carbonation. Any idea why?

Dunno, ours went in a keg and was carbed in 3 days :p I think the above is right though--high alcohol is going to kill of some of the yeast.

Our pliney clone also came in high at 9.25%--maybe yours is a bit high also.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm still losing all of my CO2. Three 5-lb tanks now. I've done the submersion test, changed gaskets in the keg and sprayed all connections down with soapy water.

I think I'm going to dismantle the manifold and replace the outgoing valves. The only thing I can think of is that the cold creates gaps as the cast & machined parts contract at different rates.

For the last keg, I kept my homebrew gas turned off as a test, and still lost the keg. Before installing this manifold, I had the same tank for 5-6 kegs and then enough for another one after 2 years of equipment storage.

Tits mcgee

I've lost a few tanks of CO2 to mystery leaks too. Well, one of them wasn't a mystery, I forgot to re-install the gasket between the tank and regulator. :lol: One I suspected was a faulty pressure relief valve. I haven't lost a tank since I replaced it. Good luck. I know it's frustrating.

Now that the weather's warmer, I brewed the Northern Brewer's Saison du Vin kit that I've had sitting around. Pitched around 3:00 pm yesterday, and the airlock was bubbling by 10.

Sitting at 73 F right now.

Recipe was:

• 1 lb Belgian caramel pils
  • 6 lb Pilsen LME. Recipe says add all of it at 60 minutes, I did half at 60, half at 30 to keep color light.
  • 46 fl oz Sauvignon Blanc grape juice at flame out
  • 2 oz Nelson Sauvin hops. 0.5 oz at 60 minutes, 1.5 oz at 20 minutes.

Bottling our 5 gal of hefewiezen today.

Lots of work but worth it in the end. If I had a soda keg I wouldn't have to wait another 2 weeks :)

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• Moderators
I need to pick up a second brew kettle. We have everything now to brew two batches at once aside from that. Our current kettle is 11 gallons. Thinking about picking up another of the same size, although wondering if it will be worth it down the road to grab something larger like a 15 gallon version.

• Moderators
I would go with a 15 gallon. It would allow you to do 10 gallon batches and you would just be a mash tun away from doing 10g all grain batches. You can use the 11 gallon pot as a hot liquor tun.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I went ahead and grabbed a 62qt model. Because more beer :lol:

• Moderators

Kegerator is getting upgraded. We have a small fridge at the moment with three taps, really just not big enough for 3 kegs though. I've been watching out for the right upright freezer and was going to convert one over (want the small footprint), but then I stumbled on this. So. Much. Room. It has an ikea style shelving setup too--rails are attached inside the fridge and the little supports can be moved up and down. I'm gonna fab up some shelves of some sort and will be able to put them right where I need em. Should be plenty of room for kegs on the bottom, glassware above, and then some shelves for bottles / cans and random extra fridge space for family stuff--ya know, like food :lol:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/7330F342-FE74-49C3-A9AD-0217D15A30E3-3576-000005BDC4FAA5C6_zpse4f45d5b.jpg

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/C0F9EDDE-86BE-4123-BAF3-ADC64F75E75D-3576-000005BDC930750B_zpsa2181dc8.jpg

Kegerator is getting upgraded. We have a small fridge at the moment with three taps, really just not big enough for 3 kegs though. I've been watching out for the right upright freezer and was going to convert one over (want the small footprint), but then I stumbled on this. So. Much. Room. It has an ikea style shelving setup too--rails are attached inside the fridge and the little supports can be moved up and down. I'm gonna fab up some shelves of some sort and will be able to put them right where I need em. Should be plenty of room for kegs on the bottom, glassware above, and then some shelves for bottles / cans and random extra fridge space for family stuff--ya know, like food :lol:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/7330F342-FE74-49C3-A9AD-0217D15A30E3-3576-000005BDC4FAA5C6_zpse4f45d5b.jpg

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/C0F9EDDE-86BE-4123-BAF3-ADC64F75E75D-3576-000005BDC930750B_zpsa2181dc8.jpg

Norlake is good stuff too. Good find.

• Moderators
Norlake is good stuff too. Good find.

Good to hear. I tried to do some research and other than finding that they make some REALLY expensive stuff I couldn't find much. Only paid $150 for it, so I'm really happy with it :)

The guy basically had a warehouse of scientific / medical fridges and a bunch of restaurant-style stuff also.

The guy basically had a warehouse of scientific / medical fridges and a bunch of restaurant-style stuff also.

Bleach, lots of bleach...

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Archived