LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

I haven't brewed anything since the spring, but did sit in on a friend's brewing session yesterday, and learned how to do all grain. For some reason I had it in my head that all grain was a much more complicated process, but it really wasn't. I'm not going to be making the move to all grain yet (money/storage space), but it was still pretty informative.

Anybody know why it's called a hot liquor tank?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After some research on homebrewtalk.com, I decided if I brew a 10-gallon batch, I should be able to split it and ferment in two 5-gallon kegs using my existing temp-controlled fermenter setup. Anything bigger than two cornys, I can't fit in my dedicated cooler, without sacrificing my kegerator for fermentation duty... and I don't want to go 3+ weeks without draft beer. That would be a crime.
Tits mcgee

I haven't brewed in too long. I was thinking about doing a couple extract batches to get the pipeline going again. If I go extract, I can do two 10 gallon batches at once with my equipment. I haven't brewed an extract batch in 5 years but 20 gallons of beer in 2-3 hours is pretty tempting.

Because this...

I don't want to go 3+ weeks without draft beer. That would be a crime.

• Mega Users
Quality, taste, control, cost to name a few.

Yea, AG and buying base grain in bulk cuts cost in half easily. One of the many benefits. Equipment will pay for itself in a few batches unless you go nuts on equipment.

• Moderators
Quality, taste, control, cost to name a few.

Yea, AG and buying base grain in bulk cuts cost in half easily. One of the many benefits. Equipment will pay for itself in a few batches unless you go nuts on equipment.

I won't argue that it might be "better" to brew AG, but storage for the equipment (not the cost) plus that time factor is why I'm avoiding it at the moment. I *do* have 3-5 hours to brew 15/20gal worth of beer--I really *don't* have an entire day to just to 10gal or even 5gal.

And cutting the cost in half would save what, $20-25 on every 5 gal brewed? Right now I'll take the savings in time and storage space over the dollars and cents--two small children, wife, other hobbies, etc. If I was single or even didn't have kids, I could easily see myself taking whole days to brew!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 2 weeks later...
I won't argue that it might be "better" to brew AG, but storage for the equipment (not the cost) plus that time factor is why I'm avoiding it at the moment. I *do* have 3-5 hours to brew 15/20gal worth of beer--I really *don't* have an entire day to just to 10gal or even 5gal.

And cutting the cost in half would save what, $20-25 on every 5 gal brewed? Right now I'll take the savings in time and storage space over the dollars and cents--two small children, wife, other hobbies, etc. If I was single or even didn't have kids, I could easily see myself taking whole days to brew!

Made an AG batch on Sunday. Fired up the burner for the strike water at 7:30 am and was done cleaning the kettle at 1pm. It doesn't take an entire day but a good chunk of it.

Before I had a mlt I would mash in the boil kettle, collect the runnings in a bucket, rinse the kettle and then boil in the same kettle.

I'm not knocking on extract, I made maybe 5 batches with extract/steeping grains and then realized I didn't need any more equip and tried AG. The entire AG process feels more like your actually making beer and not just pouring syrup/dme into hot water.

If you have a kettle with a valve all you need is a bazooka screen or you could 'brew in a bag'. You should give it a shot on a day you have the time.

Oh just an update, the chocolate hazelnut ale turned out amazing. Seemed to go very quick over the holiday and weeks before but I'm happy it turned out.

Next is a holiday mix I'm looking forward to.

Edit: just noticed the pics are sideways but you get the idea ;)

Dave

20141121_184332.thumb.jpg.3d3c61b8ef32319fe4e019ac4f5ab429.jpg

20141121_184338.thumb.jpg.8b00d4806e46b75122874281d8e9c78b.jpg

20141121_184515.thumb.jpg.6dcfa16b066935488909997622cce5b8.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived