LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Magic. Best answer I can come up with.

This.

Delta, how did you do the actual "marking" on the metal?

A couple pages back in this thread, there's a link to a home electrolysis method. Q-tip, vinegar, salt, 9V battery & some wire. I only used one Q-tip for the whole thing, lines & numbers. The hardest part was finding the gallon marks. I had to manually pour a gallon in, mark, then repeat. Seven times. Meh.

...and if you're thinking I meant to mark 5.5 gallons, you're being generous with my intelligence. I just sort of forgot what I was doing & etched that spot in between two pieces of electrical tape. It just happened to be exactly halfway between 5 and 6.

Tits mcgee

• Mega Users
Kegged the IPA and in the process of brewing an american barleywine. The IPA tastes amazing, but its a bit too bitter. I think I got more bitterness out of the late additions than expected. Its still only 10 days old though. It might mellow a bit over the next week.

• Moderators
Kegged the IPA and in the process of brewing an american barleywine. The IPA tastes amazing, but its a bit too bitter. I think I got more bitterness out of the late additions than expected. Its still only 10 days old though. It might mellow a bit over the next week.

Finished the whole beer in 10 days? Super quick!

We kegged our caramel wit after 3 weeks in the fermenter (or so) and carbed it up in two days. Tapped it on wednesday and it turned out really nice--will likely go quick.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Mega Users
10 days is plenty for smaller beers and IPA's with good temp control and enough yeast. For wit's, my rule is to keg when the sulfur goes away. Usually also 10 days, but I've had hefeweizens finish by 8 or 9 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent most of the day yesterday on a coconut IPA with 3 stages of 4 different hops... and I discovered I really need a wort chiller. This utility sink business takes SO long.

Between the hops & the coconut in the boil there was a ton of sediment I had to filter out going into the primary. I was at it until 10:30pm & left a mess in the kitchen... indoor brewing has a perilously low WAF.

Tits mcgee

• Moderators
What kind of time do you spend between mashing out & boiling? Do you just turn up the temp & roll right into the boil?

Where doing extract kits--keeping it very simple.

The process is pretty straight forward. Mostly it's just steeping a bag of specialty grains and then doing the boil. Some of the kits also involve a little "mini mash" or whatever where we have actually had to do a small scale mashing in with regular grains.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Oh, I gotcha. My all-grain recipe last night wasn't much more complicated than the extract kit I used last time, just less manageable. Higher quantities of everything, which made everything heavier. Each time I do it, I realize another piece of equipment or a few more tools would make it easier...

I think I can easily sell my wife on an outside burner after yesterday.

Tits mcgee

I spent most of the day yesterday on a coconut IPA with 3 stages of 4 different hops... and I discovered I really need a wort chiller. This utility sink business takes SO long.

Between the hops & the coconut in the boil there was a ton of sediment I had to filter out going into the primary. I was at it until 10:30pm & left a mess in the kitchen... indoor brewing has a perilously low WAF.

I posted the link a couple months ago when I built my chiller, but this website has good prices for DIY kits:

https://coppertubingsales.com/storefront/index.php?cPath=174_208&osCsid=tkfmsp0uonjoggh9aagibsj5o6

You can probably find the same tubing at Lowes or HD for the same price without the shipping. Check local scrap yards as well. I found about 25' of 1/2" tubing for $3/lb.

Yeah, you can get the supplies slightly cheaper if you do some more leg work, but I'm lazy and like having things shipped to my door.

I also like that it's a kit, and came with the clamps, vinyl tubing, etc, and I ordered the sink-to-hose fitting adapter from them at the same time. Obviously, all things I could get at a hardware store, but convenience wins out sometimes.

Man... I came home to a carboy bung on the floor & a krausen snake crawling out the top of the carboy. LOTS of action on this batch. Maybe the closet is too warm.

Then I was cleaning my autosiphon & the little retainer came out of the bottom. I could fix it if I had a small dowel, but I don't. I wrote Midwest Supplies & they immediately shot back a note saying they'd replace it... which is good, because one brewing hangup is enough for one day.

Tits mcgee

Archived