LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Mega Users
Getting rid of the last bit of cascade in my freezer today. I'm making a pale ale with one pound of flame out cascade as the only hop addition. I'm not even going to dry hop. Just 2-row and a quarter pound of home made marris otter crystal malt.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a problem with gas.

Yes, yes, tee hee.

I have a leak. I've gone through two full 5lb CO2 tanks. I have a tank, a 2-way manifold with check valves, pigtails going to a home brew keg & a regular San-key connector. I keep losing gas. When I started, I put everything after the regulator into a tub of water--tap, pigtails, manifold--and opened all the valves. No bubbles.

I have to believe it's in the home brew keg somewhere, but I've also sprayed that down with soapy water & I see no bubbles. Argh. I'm considering emptying my homebrew keg into a sanitized carboy, changing gaskets, and refilling.

The good news is, even uncarbonated after a week or so in the keg, my IPA smells/tastes terrific. I just can't get a good feel for it without gas.

Tits mcgee

Just finished the last beer in our "gallon" batch to realize we need to brew more :)

Went out and bought a 5 gallon "kit" and will be using ingredients for a hefewiezen first. Couldn't swing the co2 and keg setup this time but that's coming as well. Never realized how fun and relaxing brewing beer could be. In my line of work anything that forces me to slow dowe a little and stop "working" is a good thing.

Hope it comes out as good as the gallon did :)

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I have a problem with gas.

Yes, yes, tee hee.

I have a leak. I've gone through two full 5lb CO2 tanks. I have a tank, a 2-way manifold with check valves, pigtails going to a home brew keg & a regular San-key connector. I keep losing gas. When I started, I put everything after the regulator into a tub of water--tap, pigtails, manifold--and opened all the valves. No bubbles.

I have to believe it's in the home brew keg somewhere, but I've also sprayed that down with soapy water & I see no bubbles. Argh. I'm considering emptying my homebrew keg into a sanitized carboy, changing gaskets, and refilling.

The good news is, even uncarbonated after a week or so in the keg, my IPA smells/tastes terrific. I just can't get a good feel for it without gas.

Before you do this, check that the fiber washer gasket is there between tank and regulator..

• Mega Users
Why would you empty the keg to change the orings? You can do all of that even with it being full of beer.

Yup. No reason to go through all that. Just depressurize it and change the prints. If its leaking with everything attached, its probably the exterior oring. That could cause it to onlyleak when a qd is connected.

Why would you empty the keg to change the orings? You can do all of that even with it being full of beer.

Hmm... I was nervous about changing them while full, but I can try it. I have an o-ring set on the way. I just didn't want to drop debris into the keg.

Before you do this, check that the fiber washer gasket is there between tank and regulator..

Done. They gave me a new one with both fills. There's also an o-ring that fits into the regulator, and I've changed that.

Yup. No reason to go through all that. Just depressurize it and change the prints. If its leaking with everything attached, its probably the exterior oring. That could cause it to onlyleak when a qd is connected.

Well, I'll try it & find out. I rushed to blame the manifold, but it passed the submersion test. I don't have a sink big enough to dunk the keg... but it's the only thing left! Argh.

Tits mcgee

• Moderators
Hmm... I was nervous about changing them while full, but I can try it. I have an o-ring set on the way. I just didn't want to drop debris into the keg.

Done. They gave me a new one with both fills. There's also an o-ring that fits into the regulator, and I've changed that.

Well, I'll try it & find out. I rushed to blame the manifold, but it passed the submersion test. I don't have a sink big enough to dunk the keg... but it's the only thing left! Argh.

My experience is somewhat limited, but I think you're overthinking it. just clean your hands in some sanitizer and go to work, not that big of a deal. I have had to remove / reinstall popits and dip tubes a number of times already due to clogs at the beginning of kegs. Especially when dry hopping it seems to happen where they clog up the first couple of pours and I have to clean 'em out. No issues.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Well, kegged and carbed my gunball head. I can't believe it has taken me years to realize that I need to start doing secondaries. The beer tastes like yeast and it's getting rather annoying. Does anyone have any other methods of getting the taste of yeast out? right now I just go from carboy or bucket to keg, add gelatin and wait for it to carb.

• Mega Users
Noooo! Keg it and chill it to about 32f. Fine with gelatin and wait 2 days. It absolutely has to be chilled first. It brings out chill haze and the gelatin binds to it. During that time you're also carbing it. I like to let it condition at 32f for a week, but you could raise it to serving temp after 2 days with gelatin. You'll get crystal clear beer this way.

• Mega Users

You have kegs, so no need for that IMO. Don't do a secondary unless you're prepared to transfer everything with co2. Transferring to and from secondary is a great way to oxidize your beer. The best part about using gelatin in a keg is that all the crap you don't want will sink to the bottom where it will get cleared out by pouring it. You'll lose a couple pints, but you'd likely lose more with multiple rackings.

No need to start out with a bunch of steps unless you find them necessary. Proper use of gelatin will take care of the issues you're talking about. If you try it and don't like the results, then go for the filter.

As for the yeast flavor, is it estery or is it yeasty? I just want to clarify to see if it's a fermentation off flavor or suspended yeast. What yeast did you use and what temp?

• Moderators
I think it’s yeasty, I’m fermenting at 62-66 in my basement on a dark corner like that creepy thing from that movie with Elijah Wood. I used Wyeast 1056

Fermenting below 66*? Does that work out very well?

Fermenting below 66*? Does that work out very well?

I don't know, when I first started I didn't have basement. My temps were really high, tasted horrid. The only issue I'm having is not dropping the yeast . the only think that I think I'm not doing is going down to 32degrees.

• Mega Users
Depends on the yeast, but almost all yeast other than belgian strains will do best from 62-68. I do most of mine around 64. It'll make a huge difference in the quality of beer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
ordered some more brew kits, this time with some yeast "smack packs". One of the packs showed up and is already inflated. Northern Brewer says it should still be fine as long as we use it within 3 months. Can anyone confirm that?

Archived