LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Moderators
Just finished up a BSG Handcraft Saison (first brew by this company, overall not impressed with their brew process) and a Pliney clone from northern brewer. The pliney clone smelled amazing from the get-go, can wait to keg that one up in a few weeks.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just finished up a BSG Handcraft Saison (first brew by this company, overall not impressed with their brew process) and a Pliney clone from northern brewer. The pliney clone smelled amazing from the get-go, can wait to keg that one up in a few weeks.

I'm brewing the same kit from northern. Just moved it to the secondary last Friday. It does smell amazing.

I might try to find a cheap dorm fridge just big enough for a 6.5-gal carboy as a fermentation chamber. I'll hook it up to a thermostat... oh, wait. Even better--I can measure temperature with an Arduino sensor, send that to my home automation system, and then control the outlet to turn the fridge on & off to keep it at an ideal temp.

I wonder if I can build a shaker table to put the fridge on for agitating the wort?

I love projects. My wife hates them.

Tits mcgee

Bought a burner & SS turkey fryer set from eBay today! Also picked up a 10-gallon mash tun at HD, along with like $40 worth of fittings to put together a stupid ball lock assembly out of mismatched parts--only to realize you can get one designed for that purpose from Amazon for around $30. So I'll be going back to HD tomorrow to return parts...
Tits mcgee

Yes! One of those round water coolers. Big orange thing. The plastic spigot was broken, so I got 10% off... should have been more, probably.

I'm going to peruse HD over the weekend, maybe, to see if I can put together a false bottom for it.

Tits mcgee

• Moderators
Yes! One of those round water coolers. Big orange thing. The plastic spigot was broken, so I got 10% off... should have been more, probably.

I'm going to peruse HD over the weekend, maybe, to see if I can put together a false bottom for it.

Instead of a false bottom i think you can also do a filter...? Was looking at this the other day: http://rivercrewbrewingcompany.wordpress.com/2011/03/30/building-my-10-gallon-mash-tun-cooler/

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I ordered the fittings for this beast from there.http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii583/lgtftw/2F3809E2-1857-40E4-8E66-9D69D857CAEB.jpg

The cooler....not so much, ended up spending about $50 when it was said and done.

Delta, take the drain off the cooler and see what size hole is in there before you buy the fittings. The actual Igloo brand is a huge hole.

• Mega Users
I prefer the screens. Mine is just a nipple through the cooler. The screen is attached to a threaded barb fitting. Threaded ball lock on the other end. The nipple is just long enough so the barb fitting and ball lock sandwich the cooler. I reused the gasket from the fittings that came with the cooler. Never had a leak.

OK, leak-checking my HD cooler/Amazon valve MLT:

http://i.imgur.com/QKSHwF6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4jm8mKh.jpg

On the inside is just a coupler, and I think this is the right way to go for filtering grains, even though one of the reviews said it's too long for the round coolers. On the outside, I'm going to get a 1/2" barb for a large beer line.

Tits mcgee

• Mega Users
Currently chilling a 6gal batch of IIPA that will end up with 25oz after dryhopping. 18oz in the boil and 7oz dryhops. Nom nom. I still have at least 3 pounds of hops to get rid of, so I guess I'll be doing another one soon.

Archived