LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
We've been using "easy clean" exclusively now for maybe 12-15 batches with no issues. Make sure that you are getting every single part--insides/outsides, tubing, lids, air locks, etc. We also keep a bucket of the easy clean sitting out while brewing and are constantly dipping our hands in it to keep them clean.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

All good suggestions. I would ditch the secondary, leave it in primary until packaging. Replace the racking cane/auto siphon.

Although I personally have never dealt with an infection I would think bleach/lye should be the last resort.

All good suggestions. I would ditch the secondary, leave it in primary until packaging. Replace the racking cane/auto siphon.

Although I personally have never dealt with an infection I would think bleach/lye should be the last resort.

Some infections you simply cannot get rid of either no matter what you use to clean or how hard you try. This is why many breweries have either a. Separate facilities for wilds/sours or b. Have separate rooms with separate ventilation for wilds/sours

Thanks for the info guys. I think we will just clean/sanitize everything like normal and skip the secondary in favor of dumping strait into the keg. It seems everything is fine until it goes into the damn glass carboy both times for secondary fermenting. Considering we use the same racking cane to go from pot to primary as we do from primary to secondary I cant imagine its a sanitary issue with the cane.

I normally keep the sink full of sanitizer throughout the process and am ANAL about sanitizing everything and hands etc everytime I touch anything.

I'll keep you guys updated but thanks again.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

We have one for our bigmouth bubbler. Worth every penny--both the straps and the bigmouth.

Aren't you concerned about scratching the plastic and letting in bacteria with the big mouth?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see they make one in glass. Huzzah!

How do you like the carboy straps?

We have one for our bigmouth bubbler. Worth every penny--both the straps and the bigmouth.

If you've ever handled a wet carboy, or even a dry one full of wort--or worse, dropped one--you'll recognize the value of a carboy hauler. Aside from making them way easier to carry, it provides some impact resistance for the bottom. I'm much more confident setting my full carboy directly on the concrete floor of the garage with the hauler on it. I don't have a reason to remove it, really.

I'd like to try the bigmouth, but I got these two carboys "free" (indefinite loaners) and they work well enough.

Tits mcgee

If you've ever handled a wet carboy, or even a dry one full of wort--or worse, dropped one--you'll recognize the value of a carboy hauler. Aside from making them way easier to carry, it provides some impact resistance for the bottom. I'm much more confident setting my full carboy directly on the concrete floor of the garage with the hauler on it. I don't have a reason to remove it, really.

I'd like to try the bigmouth, but I got these two carboys "free" (indefinite loaners) and they work well enough.

I asked because I brew in the kitchen and haul it down into the basement and into the cellar. Typically once along the way I have to readjust my grip and another time I need to set it down to open the cellar door. Granted this will fall under the "whitepeopleproblems" category, but it would sure be nice to have a bit more confidence that I won't lose all of my hard work

I use one of these. Secure, easy, simple, and cheap. It's easy to put on a full carboy or an empty one. If you want to swap it to another carboy, just unscrew, and mount it on the next. You don't need to lift or tilt it to pull it off like you would with a carboy hauler.

http://monsterbrew.com/site/ProductImages/UniversalCarboyHandle2.jpg

I use one of these. Secure, easy, simple, and cheap. It's easy to put on a full carboy or an empty one. If you want to swap it to another carboy, just unscrew, and mount it on the next. You don't need to lift or tilt it to pull it off like you would with a carboy hauler.

I've always been weary of those, seems like all the weight of a full carboy on the neck is a bit sketchy. Do you pick it up by the handle then support it from the bottom with your arm to move it around? Seems like it would help with the initial lifting but I'd be nervous as hell to carry it around by that handle only.

I've always been weary of those, seems like all the weight of a full carboy on the neck is a bit sketchy. Do you pick it up by the handle then support it from the bottom with your arm to move it around? Seems like it would help with the initial lifting but I'd be nervous as hell to carry it around by that handle only.

^ this Heard horror stories about them snapping necks.

• Mega Users
Switching to a 10 gal setup. Got a 70qt cooler. About to get a 15gal pot. I'm going to have to build another heat stick and figure out whether I'm going to make a fermentation chamber that holds 2 fermenters or get bigger fermenters. I have so little time as of late that I need to make more beer each time.

I asked because I brew in the kitchen and haul it down into the basement and into the cellar.

I don't think they're $20. But I would pay $20 to avoid carrying a full carboy unassisted down a flight of steps.

No. Please don't. I don't want to read your post about losing five gallons of beer & slicing a 7" gash in your thigh.

Tits mcgee

• Moderators
I have so little time as of late that I need to make more beer each time.

This. Lately we've been doing one 10gal batch and one 5gal batch each time we brew--two kettles, two burners. We're going to upgrade get another smaller kettle so we can do two 10gal batches i think. The guy that I brew with just got a house, so he'll be setting up his own kegerator--gonna need more beer :lol:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Well here goes nothing. This is a chocolate hazelnut ale which is now in the primary. Going straight into the keg after 2-3 weeks and we will see how it comes out.

Dave

20141102_145326.thumb.jpg.ef83fb03ce7db94e7a8463178256052d.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Archived