LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can start off by brewing with extract which only requires a large pot to boil and make the wort, a carboy w/ bubbler to ferment in, and bottles or a keg for the final fermentation and, obviously, delivery to your mouth.

If you were going to brew from scratch you would need much larger pots in order to steep the barley. However, this process gives you more control over the final result.

I would start with extract and if you enjoy it, step up to doing the full mash someday when you're ready.

I've been wanting to brew some. I found a place that sells kits and everything, even brew there and have classes.

I'm going to pick me up a kit and give it a go. Like Underdog said, seems like starting off with the extract at first is the way to go.

If you don't want to jump into this with both feet, you can brew your own at Brew It Up, near the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium. If you decide that you like making your own, you can always buy the stuff to do it at home later.

-- Steve

That's what I was thinking :) They used to be in Davis, but moved to Sac a few years ago.

A co-worker brews there a couple times per year.

-- Steve

Ok I took a look and you make 132 12oz bottles...I cant drink that much in my short time. Want to go 50/50?

A friend of mine does his using one of the turkey fryer kits for the initial boiling part of the beer, then everything else is in his bathtub. I know he ferments in the bottle for carbonation, I actually have an amber of his in my fridge right now but I have never gone through the process. Usually your best bet is to see if you town has a homebrew supply store. Many of these places have meetings so you can get to know other people, I figure the best way to learn is to see it done yourself.

i started here...

www.boomchugalug.com

they have pretty good write ups and a store in nashua, nh. they dont ship though, but will answer questions...they sell complete kits as well and beer mixes.

have fun!!!

some info on the website...also using 'the complete joy of home brewing, 3rd edition' by charlie papazian. good write ups with illustrations. i am getting my first batch going this week, so no info on the stinking yet.

I used to brew beer then got into the wine kits then stopped about about 7 years back. You definitely need to have a brew supply store close by to get the kit, bottles and supplies. They would have recipes for certain brews like lagers & stouts or anything in between. It was fun to add molases or Oatmeal or lactose to stouts or all three or to dry hop an IPA. Once I got into the wine kits I stopped brewing beer. It's definitely fun and takes about two weeks for fermentation, chill then drink away...;)

Ok I took a look and you make 132 12oz bottles...I cant drink that much in my short time. Want to go 50/50?

Sorry, I have had two very negative experiences in the restaurant. I vow to never spend another penny there so long as I live.

You could always UPS the extra beer back to your other place of residence?

-- Steve

Sorry, I have had two very negative experiences in the restaurant. I vow to never spend another penny there so long as I live.

You could always UPS the extra beer back to your other place of residence?

-- Steve

So I take it you are not coming to the meet :lol::lol:

It would be pricey to UPS that much. Im going to look for a similar place near me :)

Guest JessterCPA

I did this a number of years ago too. A good local supply shop is key while you get started. After a few batches, you can order stuff online to save $$$, but the advice in the beginning is priceless.

Clean & santize. You can't clean & sanitize your equipment enough. Bad bacteria will slaughter your beer.

Jesse

• 3 weeks later...
Ok bump for good books or sites to read up on?

Also how much does it stink?

Ok, I know the thread is a couple weeks old but I have a good book for you. "How to brew" by John Palmer is an excellent book. "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" (as previously mentioned) is excellent too but I think " How To Brew is a little more current.

homebrewtalk.com is an excellent online forum. Lot's of good info. Very noob friendly.

I keep my fermenting beer in a closet and it doesn't smell bad. Actually, if you open the closet door it smells awesome. Some of the more exotic yeasts give off sulfer smells, but that's stuff you won't get into for quite a while.

sanitized with c-brite cleanser. made my first batch last week. got interesting because the yeast in the first kit i made was bad...24 hours, no fermenting...48 hours, no fermenting... had to add a second yeast pack then the fermenting started. a lot of bubbling the first 48 hours as expected, smell was not noticable. the boiling of the kit was more noticable smell wise then the fermenting. be carful of boiling over...it is very easy...watch the boiling. i used a 5 gal carboy for a 5 gal kit...the first vigorous fermenting left me finding this huge foamy head on the air trap the first day, had to add water to the air trap twice... 60 hours later the bubbling is very managable... using a true brew kit with a carboy. some kits require more than 5 gal...carboy wont work. maintaining temp in ne is rough...have the carboy next to the heat vent double wrapped in two towels for light protection. towels soaked up some of the bubbling in the first 48 hours.

have extra yeast on hand just in case... more to report later.

Congrats on your first brew. Now it's time for the hard part... waiting! Don't pitch any more yeast. Once you get the krausen (foamy top) you know your yeast is healthy and active. The krausen will drop and the bubbling will slow to a crawl in the next couple of days. Don't worry that's normal. The most active part of fermentation comes in the first 3-5 days.

It's a good idea to use a blow off tube instead of an airlock if you are fermenting 5 gallon batches in 5 gallon carboys. It will save you a lot of mess. You can use the same rubber stopper. Just put a tube (that will fit) in it and run it into some receptical with a little bit of water covering the end of the tube.

Here's a crappy phone pic of my closet right now. I have a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy (with a blow off tube) the krausen is just starting to rise. The two in the backround are an Irish Stout and Irish Bitter (black and tans for St. Pattys day baby!) where the krausen is starting to fall. You can switch to an airlock after the krausen falls.

Good Luck!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/shearbiggity/ClosetBrewery.jpg

Archived