LegacyGT.com

School me on home brewing

rc0032

The nut brown I brewed in August finally has come into its own flavor as of lately. Before it tasted like straight liquor but now it's got a deep nutty flavor. A friend of mine and his dad couldn't get enough of it.

New Years Eve I brewed my first lager and got a little worried when it wasn't fermenting right away. Brought it upstairs from my cellar which was in the high 40s to my first floor where it rested in the upper 50s. Finally started fermenting after 3 days and then I moved it back downstairs where after a day of fermenting, has started to form a nice Kruasen and the airlock is bubbling about once every seven seconds. Can't wait to try that in spring

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of, my brother is trying to figure out how to freeze washed yeast, has anyone done this before?

He gave me a vile of it and i put it a starter, it never took off so delayed my brewing until yesterday. I ended tossing it and doing another starter with my washed US-05 which worked out great.

• 1 month later...

So we brewed a chocolate peanut stout that should be about 7% on superbowl weekend and then followed it up with a Custom Kolsch recipe the following weekend that should net around 8%. Both should be done in another 3 weeks or so and then into the keg's and into the kegerator.

The kolsch is in the glass carboy obviously and the stout is behind in the bucket.

cant wait.

Dave

beer1.thumb.jpg.18796cfad56ad1f6b1da5711acaa47dd.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• Moderators

We did the final dryhop for 10gal of a heady the topper clone tonight. It should actually be done and carbed for drinkin' by the end of this weekend.

Also have a belgian stout going that should be ready around st patty's day.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a ridiculous CL deal last week. This guy had two kegerator setups, and wanted to get rid of one. So, for $200, I bought:

• ball lock keg (full with some mystery homebrew) in decent condition
  • a full 10-lb CO2 tank & regulator
  • an older flow-control Perlick faucet
  • a never-used, crazy side-action pilsner faucet
  • one A-type keg tap & two D-type taps
  • a generic Dogfish Head wooden faucet handle
  • an empty 1/4-barrel keg in good condition
  • a bunch of lines & ball lock fittings
  • an empty 5-lb CO2 tank
  • the converted fridge itself, with a left-side shank installed

I sold the weird pilsner faucet & Dogfish Head tap for $100, and gave the fridge, 5-lb bottle, regulator, and one of the D-taps to a guy at work for $150. So essentially, I got paid $50 to get 5 gallons of homebrew in a ball-lock keg, a full 10-lb CO2 tank, and a bunch of other stuff I don't need.

The point of the story is... mining craigslist can be worthwhile.

Tits mcgee

• 1 month later...

Oh I forgot to post an update.

The kolsch ended up measuring out at 10.3%! It took on a slight pineapple note because of the aggressive fermentation and yeast used but we're talking ever so slight. It didn't last long unfortunately as it was way too easy to drink.

The chocolate peanut butter stout turned out amazing as well and I don't care for stouts.

I think I'm going to attempt a high gravity Belgium tripple next but still unsure.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Nice!

I'm gearing up for a summer ale, something crisp & hoppy, trying for a Victory Summer Love-type ale. I found a plate wort chiller on eBay today & snagged it. I ordered more camlock fittings today for my setup as well as a Bilchmann Thrumometer. I'm planning for a 4/4 brew day to have something drinkable sometime in May, and when that's done & my system is tuned, going for something imperial in late May.

Tits mcgee

• 4 weeks later...
I racked an Imperial Stout on to oak chunks and kegged my first brett beer yesterday. The brett beer turned out nicer than I anticipated. It's a very low IBU amber ale that I pitched brett c into. Lots of tropical fruit. Very little tart. I'm pretty happy with it.

Having a hard time. Stuck sparge. Spilled some wort. New brew kettle is a little too big for my gas burner. The wort's a little cloudy, which isn't that big of a deal, except I'm putting it through a plate chiller for the first time, and I'm concerned about jamming it up. I strained it pretty well coming out of the lauter tun... but still...

http://i.imgur.com/bdwyVI4l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zlUrau5l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Kk9guyRl.jpg

Tits mcgee

Archived