LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

I did it tonight and have a suggestion. I used a 17mm box end wrench to get the banjo bolt started. I then switched to a shorty to get it the rest of the way. The screen was dirty but not blocked.

Also, for those of you with BMW's (e36 at least), the oil drain plug copper washer is the same size. Luckily, I have plenty on hand since every filter comes with one and I have been using the fumoto valve.

Thanks to Rao again for the write up.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:eek: Ticking bomb then. How dirty? How many miles?

60K, synthetic oil since 12K. I pulled the screen out of the bolt and dried it with a towel and let it sit on some paper towel. When I held it up to the light, you could tell it was dirty, not just oily. Hit it with some wd-40 (and a little PB cause I like the smell) and wiped it down held it to light again and it was blotchy dirty so I hit it again. I also took a small dental pick and used some paper towel to clean out the inside. When I was done it was visibly clean when I held to the light.

I thought about leaving it out but figured I would replace it for now. Passenger side is next.

There is just something wrong here.

Subaru has known for YEARS these filters could cause problems in the AVCS, which range from small driveability issues to larger ones when the filters actually fell into the AVCS system, and smartly removed them via TSB for that.

But then to put them into our turbo motors with the potential for not only blown turbos but the resultant catastrophic engine failures as well .......... !!?? :spin:

AND NEVER A MENTION TO ANYONE NOR CONNECT THE DOTS, DESPITE BLOWN TURBOS AND BLOWN MOTORS..... WTF is wrong with this picture.:mad:

Some of my faith in Subaru is not as blind as it was.

...(and a little PB cause I like the smell) .....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

From a fellow Ohioan, that's pure :wub: .

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Meh.....

So far... they've all been clean. I've yet to see a photo of a plugged (even partially) filter screen.

All hype... not substance thus far. ;)

Ha ha! I got a picture for you right here buddy boy...

I would love to see one from one of those blown turbos.

Archived