LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have taken out and inspected my screen too! As you can see in the pics, the filter was practically brand new, there was a very tiny sliver of something, but it was hard to tell. After just a quick little spray of carb/choke cleaner, it was good as new:)! That didn't convince me to keep it in there, as I left it out. I did however manage to lose one of the copper washers.:spin: Now I need to hunt one down....

Anyway here are the pics, so you can come to your own conclusions. And BTW, my car has always seen synthetic oil from 5k up, and has also never seen an OCI interval of less than 5k, with the exception of early breakin period. I would say the majority of my intervals were in the 6-7k mile range. I predominantly used Walmart ST7317 filter's along with oem Toyo Roki's. Specific oil used was GC 0w30, PP euro 5w40, and now M1 HM 10w30. These are all HTHS oils, with at least a 3.5 Acea A3 rating. Very robust. I also currently have 76,719 total miles:eek:!

1288532144_100_7587(Large).thumb.JPG.838bfeef3a5ab7f1840b40e58400f73c.JPG

1262120910_100_7588(Large).thumb.JPG.32c9c8927e96a6cd0cb71feccd85d942.JPG

Good to know.

You might want to set the date on your camera :)

Walmart filters - oh the horror :eek:

:lol: Yeah, the battery hold down clasp broke, so everytime I pull the SD card out it loses the date. Got tired of setting it, and am too cheap to buy a new camera.....

I actually got turned onto ST filter's from BITOG, and they are made by Champion labs, same maker's of Bosch, K&N, and M1! Not a bad filter, and for $2.17 a steal! I have also had a number of oil analysis done, and it didn't matter if I had the ST or the oem filter, same results.

:lol: Yeah, the battery hold down clasp broke, so everytime I pull the SD card out it loses the date. Got tired of setting it, and am too cheap to buy a new camera.....

I actually got turned onto ST filter's from BITOG, and they are made by Champion labs, same maker's of Bosch, K&N, and M1! Not a bad filter, and for $2.17 a steal! I have also had a number of oil analysis done, and it didn't matter if I had the ST or the oem filter, same results.

You must not care very much about your car..... :lol:

Well, I have taken out and inspected my screen too! As you can see in the pics, the filter was practically brand new, there was a very tiny sliver of something, but it was hard to tell. After just a quick little spray of carb/choke cleaner, it was good as new:)! That didn't convince me to keep it in there, as I left it out. I did however manage to lose one of the copper washers.:spin: Now I need to hunt one down....

Kyle :cool:

Its like a $.39 part :lol: I have an extra one I would mail you but I wont have access to it till Friday :(

Kyle :cool:

Its like a $.39 part :lol: I have an extra one I would mail you but I wont have access to it till Friday :(

I know, I should have picked some up beforehand.That's what I get for thinking I could reuse it. It is always the little stuff that get ya....

2hrs of running around, and no one has it in stock:mad:! So, I hit up a Mitsu dealer, in hopes that they might have something in metric to work. Bingo!!! It is actually a fuel hose gasket, but it is a match for the stock copper ring!

Thanks for the photos. I wonder if the resolution is high enough for Mccorry? :lol:

Bite me, Mr. Accountant! :spin:

:lol:

Are we talking about edmundu's photos?

I still didn't see @#$@#$ in the filter. Clean and clear...with the exception of 1 little metal shaving... that he stated.

Guess what would've happened if you didn't have a screen in there..... bye bye turbo bearings....

I still am not sold that the screen is a bad thing.

Awww...:wub: you too! Mr. Engineer!

I actually put mine back in after I cleaned it. I don't have any pics as my son lost my digi cam last week, but will get a new one soon. I will take pics when I pull the avcs side. Also will be doing Tytek's this Sat (as long as his new tranny is finished) and will have his camera handy for that one. We have roughly the same miles, 60K, on the engines it will be interesting to see what we find.

Hey Shawn... OT... but are you coming up this Sunday for the meet at RaGe's place? I'd like to see you and Tytus if you guys can make it up.

I know Amy is coming.

There is an outside chance I will make it. Ty and I are working on his car Sat. He just got it back from the dealer with the new tranny. We are gonna do my plugs, avecs side bolt, and his brake lines coilovers so we have a full say Sat. If that gets done, then I will go. There is just no direct way to get to Chillicothe from here. You guys get to follow the Scioto river which is much more exciting. :)

I'd really like to make it to show you my headers and wide band that I installed in my cubby pod.

Back OT. Yes, let's move to walkthrough.

Pretty much sounds like this is only an issue with people that don't properly maintain their vehicles and beat the piss out of them. I have had the dealer change the oil at 1,500, 3,000 and every 3,000 since (now 35,500) and my oil stays basically clear with a light brown tint and I have never had to add oil between changes.

I'll check it while I'm doing my UP/DP in the next few days and will post my findings. As clean as my oil stays; I really doubt there is anything in there.

Let's kick this pig!

• 2 months later...

Just checked mine. There was no filter in the banjo bolt. :confused: I guess I don't worry about it getting plugged up.

Mike

pics. I notice my banjo bolt is diffrent. No filter, smaller hole & the hole doesn't go all the way threw.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0806070232.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0806070230_edited.jpg

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Speaking of filters and banjo bolts........ I tried to order one from my "dealer."

A. There is no 'filter' in the Subaru information relative to that banjo bolt.

B. So I figured I'd order the banjo bolt, assuming the filter was inside. Also ordered two copper washers for it which were separate listings.

C. Nope. Empty banjoy bolt. So-called dealer doesn't know what I'm talking about. Got the two copper washers. I may need them next time I check the filter that is on my car...... that doesn't exist.

This whole issue is amazing. Irresponsible and amazing. Makes me wonder what else.

Just checked mine. There was no filter in the banjo bolt. :confused: I guess I don't worry about it getting plugged up.

Mike

pics. I notice my banjo bolt is diffrent. No filter, smaller hole & the hole doesn't go all the way threw.

^^^Dude, wrong bolt!

You pulled the oil supply banjo at the CHRA inlet. The one referenced in this thread is at the back of the cylinder head, just in front of the turbo. WIth the turbo in place, it is a tight fit to get at it. IT can be done, just need to have some patience.

SeeeeeYa,

Interesting that the bolt didn't come with the screen. And that there is not a part # for it? Perhaps SOA has done away completely with these screens on '08+'s????

Anyone with an '08 care to look?

Archived