LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo Kit for non-turbo Subaru

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this post all around the place, but I was recently debating this AVO turbo kit for my 1999 Subaru Legacy GT. From what I've read here, they seem to enhance performance quite a bit while also being safe. Is this the case? Has anyone had any trouble with these kits? Also, how difficult was it to assemble and put on?

I've also found the same kit for sale through SPO Motorsports. My assumption is that it is the same kit but there may be subtle differences? Anyone used the AVO kit from SPO?

Thanks!

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Sorry to bump this post all around the place, but I was recently debating this AVO turbo kit for my 1999 Subaru Legacy GT. From what I've read here, they seem to enhance performance quite a bit while also being safe. Is this the case? Has anyone had any trouble with these kits? Also, how difficult was it to assemble and put on?

I've also found the same kit for sale through SPO Motorsports. My assumption is that it is the same kit but there may be subtle differences? Anyone used the AVO kit from SPO?

Thanks!

Just buy my turbo kit off of my old 2.5 RS... Comes with Tec-II engine management (that you'll have to get professionally tuned if you want it to be a reliable daily driver) but it's CHEAP!!!

Just buy my turbo kit off of my old 2.5 RS... Comes with Tec-II engine management (that you'll have to get professionally tuned if you want it to be a reliable daily driver) but it's CHEAP!!!

How cheap and what year of RS is it on? Is it in reasonable shape? Comes with everything? PM if you'd like...

Thanks!

Steve at SPO sells our same kit, there shouldn't be any differences. :)

The biggest problems faced with fitting our kit to non-RS Impreza models is the possible custom work needed. We fabricated the kit to be a complete bolt-on solution, but once you move to other models, there will be differences in the engine bay and ECU. Header design is usually an issue, but may be sorted out with an aftermarket Borla header.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Thanks for the info, Paul.

The reason I ask is because SPO has the turbo kit listed as '97-'99. After reading posts here about maybe having to make some adjustments for non-RS models I thought maybe they had already made the tweaks that were needed to the kit itself. *shrug*

I already have the Borla headers from SPO along with the Weapon R intake (With larger K&N filter) and the flat strut tower brace (That doesn't seem to exist there anymore). You said my headers may work with this setup? When I replaced my stock manifold with the Borla headers, they bolted on to my stock 'cat-back' exhaust that was already there. So, I'm not too sure if it will make a difference or not...

Will I have to ditch my headers? Also, do you know if my tower brace will fit behind/underneath the intercooler? Obviously my intake is going to have to go, but will my current K&N filter fit where the new intake arm extends to?

I understand you probably won't be able to answer these questions as the information I've provided is fairly vague... I'll try to get some pictures up some time soon though.

Thanks for the help!

Something to keep in mind (I looked into doing this on my 2003 2.5RS as well) -- when you take into account the cost of the kit (3500 + installation time + custom work/tuning) and the value of your current car, you may find you come awfully close to the value of just selling the car and buying a factory 2.5L turbo car. Assuming a '99 LGT could manage $6000 in value which I don't think would be hard, and $4000 for the turbo kit and custom work, you're not too far from either a used WRX or used 05 LGT.

If you do decide to go for it though, make a project thread and keep a nice journal of progress!

Also I believe the '99 LGT EJ25 is not the same as the '99 2.5RS EJ25, though I don't recall the differences.

Something to keep in mind (I looked into doing this on my 2003 2.5RS as well) -- when you take into account the cost of the kit (3500 + installation time + custom work/tuning) and the value of your current car, you may find you come awfully close to the value of just selling the car and buying a factory 2.5L turbo car. Assuming a '99 LGT could manage $6000 in value which I don't think would be hard, and $4000 for the turbo kit and custom work, you're not too far from either a used WRX or used 05 LGT.

If you do decide to go for it though, make a project thread and keep a nice journal of progress!

Also I believe the '99 LGT EJ25 is not the same as the '99 2.5RS EJ25, though I don't recall the differences.

Yeah. I've thought about this quite a few times actually. Hell, before this summer hit I was even debating buying a new Subaru STi... But, my '99 Legacy GT has treated me so well, still looks great, only has 60,000 miles on it and I'm still absolutely in love with it... I'd hate to get rid of it. In fact, I'm 99.9% sure I'd literally cry if I did...

So, I figured I'd check out other options and use this car as long as I possibly can. Also, if you end up figuring out what differences I will have to make up for, could you please let me/us know before I make any rash decisions?

And absolutely! If I end up doing this, you better believe I'll have step-by-step pictures along with any other information I can provide...

I wondered if a front mount intercooler would work with the avo kit rather than the top mount on 05+ legacys??? I know the kit comes with a top mount but numerous fmic's are availible thought this might be a solution to the clearance and hood scoop issues as I would prefer not to change hood anyways...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For an aftermarket turbo kit, how would the exhaust need to be modified? I guess I am trying to figure out the ins and outs of the turbocharger. On a stock turbo car, the exhaust exits from the turbo to the downpipe and out through the catback, or am I way off?

• 2 months later...
bump. how come this is still not out yet???? i kinda wanna get the kit for impreza and get a gt hood... that would work right from what i've read?

I'm wondering the same thing. :confused:

I guess they figured it wasn't worth it to make it for us non-turbo Legacy guys.

We should continue to monitor interest here at least...

I'm keen but it wouldn't be for another year at least, budgetary-wise. I'd like to know that it will be available when I'm ready to take the plunge though.

Already running borla-replica headers which may be a prerequisite...

I think one of the considerations fitment-wise is need for a FMIC.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived