LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbo Kit for non-turbo Subaru

OMG you just made my life so much easier since I was going to try making my own kit. My question is will it work with my 2001 legacy because if it does sign me up right now.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I got PM'd from Seattle Legacy, and I couldnt use the quote function:

"First off, i'm not going to debate you in the thread. There's no reason to shit on it, so that's why I'm coming to you here.

No, you didn't mention peak, but you did say that it would be between 20 and 25 hp all the way across the graph. @ 3k RPM, the difference in hp is ~40 and only grows from there. So, right there you're wrong.

Your college algebra average is 100.... hold on, lemme get you a gold star. Call me when you get to 3rd level calculus or graduate.

Ease up with your machismo attitude, otherwise respect will be hard to find on this board."

This is a cut and paste including my grammatical error: Imagine a dyno curve entirely raised entirely about 20 hp minimum.

MINIMUM, MiNIMUM, MINIMUM>

At first I thought it was nice to have someone not shit up the board, but then I was thinking with my dumbass edumacated self that shit divided by 1/2 still leaves shit since I wasnt the one to bust insults publicly to start. I started a nice reply, and then said," why do I continue to put up with shit from people." I never mentioned maximum, I never mentioned 3,000, I dont know what the hell I did except vaguely guess output on something for which I had absolutely no data, model year engine, what part #s etc. All from stored data interpretation in my head. (with humor later) the ______________minimum_____________ increase. I DONT CARE ANYTHING FOR MAXIMUMS, OR 3,000 RPM. I still went on to say that it DID PICK UP AT HIGHER RPMs. Much less can I see it clear enough to argue reasonably WHAT it says.

I DONT GIVE A CARE WHAT HIGHER LEVELS OF MATHEMATICS ABOVE ALGEBRA ARE NEEDED TO FIGURE OUT THE DYNO GRAPH----- I WAS JUST USING A RETURN INSULT. I WONT EVEN TRY TO COMPARE UPPER LEVEL MATH I USED ON THE SHUTTLE RETURN TO FLIGHT INITIATIVE TO FIGURE OUT A DAMN AUTOMOTIVE GRAPH!!!!!!!!

OH YEAH, WHERE IS MY GOLD STAR??????????????? SINCE WE ARE BEING LITERAL HERE.

I also had to assume he did not just slap a turbo on it. oil, air filter, exhaust, these all add power. I was being very conservative of MINIMUM. MINIMUM. MINIMUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I earn respect, not worry about somebody giving it to me. Dont tell me about respect on a Subaru board. Ive been driving the damn things since my dad put me on his lap to drive a friggin 1970 something pos awd wagon (no insult intended). MY first car was a 1983 SUbaru. Ive been driving the damn things, tinkering, selling, watching the SWRT, getting stuck on the beach, breaking, since before the f$%^&%$ internet was in public use!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should you be the one to tell me how it is on a Subaru forum??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Not sure. Maybe call SOA would be quickest option. There are enough young kids wrecking them with so few miles, it may be cheaper to get a whole drivetrain from one of the wrecked ones depending on condition of wreck. Engine, turbo, intercooler, tranny, driveshaft, diffs, etc.

OMG you just made my life so much easier since I was going to try making my own kit. My question is will it work with my 2001 legacy because if it does sign me up right now.

For your '01 Legacy, the current kit works great! Use a Baja Turbo hood (or any hood scoop you want) and the current AVO kit bolts right up and runs great!

Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

I think the whole point before was missed with the hp difference of the car targeted with the kit is 165 hp, and the newer engine 176........Sounds about like a 10 hp difference?????????????????????? hmmmmm.........

What do you know about the turbocharger unit itself rallitek? I didnt see specs on website. Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

What do you know about the turbocharger unit itself rallitek? I didnt see specs on website. Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

The turbo is a Garrett ball-bearing GT series, that is custom built by AVO. (like other turbos built by AVO)

Here is info on an AVO turbo. This is for AVO LGT380, but the turbo design is the same as the one used with the AVO n/a T kits.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49961

Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

Thanks! That had a lot of data on the pdf thingy for the turbocharger. I would have gone with a slightly smaller turbocharger setup if I did my own for a 2.5i, but this appeals to more subaru models, and allows for "stage" changes later on (I hate that term). Even for me, it would be easier to kit this, than to try to custom design specifically for my anal retentive needs like I mentioned before. That would only be ok if stuff like this werent available, or we were just completely mad!:eek: lol

gees, it's like 2000 all over again. people with their blowing somethin up comments. sean, when did you put your avo kit on? yesterday?

Good point!

The Stage2 AVO kit on my Impreza has been on there since 2002. I use the car mostly for track use! I have taken it on 1000 mile trips with the AVO kit installed. I get 30mpg @ 70mph and do not burn even a little oil between changes.

There are over 300 AVO turbo kits in use around the USA right now.

Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

And nothing is wrong with the engine. You didnt change any internals or anything?!

And nothing is wrong with the engine. You didnt change any internals or anything?!

No engine internal upgrades. All 100% stock and original.

One secret here is proper tuning and boost levels. I use a bit of race gas at the track, just to be sure everything is OK. When we were testing/tuning the kit, we ran Portland International Raceway in mid-summer on just 92 pump gas. Just to be sure the setup is durable for the street.

A second secret with turbo kits is to be happy with the performance. Do not try to 'enhance' your turbo kit. No additional boost controllers, or different maps. The kit is engineered to be durable with regular service, and if quality synthetic oil is used.

Sean S.

Whats the total HP gain wouldnt be a little easier to get a hold of a WRX engine for a swap. Or go straight power mods, like A cam, headers, new ECU?? if this can drop to $3,000 I'd think about it, but I've found a WRX engine for $2800 and the swap would cost a little under $1000 but then again I'm afraid to do a turbo kit on a N/A car. How much to install this kit? Cause if you guys make it work with my upgrades already like my Cam I might haft to order one? But awesome if I could afford it I'd be all over it. For now I'll just stay in the right lane. Awesome idea keep us posted cause if I get some money together or a relative dies I might be talkn to you guys in a few months.

damn thanks man, thats hella chill. quote]

Just learned a new phrase. I am learning alot more on this site. Alot more than Subarus.

1.hella chillThis derives from a secret convention of both Nor and So Cal teenagers who decided to fuse the lingo of the state and thus formed "hella chill" meaning very cool or very good

Dude, trips to Mexico are hella chill. Y'all know what I'm saying!

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

damn thanks man, thats hella chill. quote]

Just learned a new phrase. I am learning alot more on this site. Alot more than Subarus.

1.hella chillThis derives from a secret convention of both Nor and So Cal teenagers who decided to fuse the lingo of the state and thus formed "hella chill" meaning very cool or very good

Dude, trips to Mexico are hella chill. Y'all know what I'm saying!

And people say that i should calm down and stop talking crap. hey buddy i bet you don't know the first thing about your legacy or any car out there.

Hey looks like were gonna pass gt's after all. Now they really cant say anything because we have proof that the engine wont blow after forcing it.

Whatch out guys for the smart comments coming our way for example: well we can upgrade our cars to be faster than yours. Ya Ya we know.

i read somewhere that the newer 2.5's ecu's are significantly more powerful than the older ones and the mapping resolution yields better control and response of the engine, especially the cam control, and on/off throttle. do you think the extra resolution will benefit the avo kit, in terms of running x level of boost, or hurt it? thanks sean!

-scott-

i read somewhere that the newer 2.5's ecu's are significantly more powerful than the older ones and the mapping resolution yields better control and response of the engine, especially the cam control, and on/off throttle. do you think the extra resolution will benefit the avo kit, in terms of running x level of boost, or hurt it? thanks sean!

-scott-

Scott,

We are hoping to use reflash for engine management on our newest kit. (Our software folks are still working on that part..) So, the more powerful ecu will be a plus. The advantage will come from the variable valve timing in the newer engines. That will help flow, and gain more power than the kits for the older models.

-Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

Archived