LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

As I understand it from srtd's description and looking at the manual, there are only two banjo bolts that contain a filter screen, and both of them are attached to the head. One filtered banjo on the rear of the passenger side head feeds both the turbo and the oil flow control solenoid valve on that head. On the front of the drivers side head is the other filtered banjo bolt that feeds the oil flow control solenoid valve for that head.

this guy is exactly correct. both are just as described. there are two and both are the start of the oil feed from the heads. so are we all friends again or will i be liable for spreading rumors, lol.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am going to do it soon and take some pics, but probably not this weekend.

i can save you some trouble and kill two birds with one stone mine is still on stands. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Ok, I've read the entire thread and I'm thoroughly confused. The link to Scoobymods shows a filter in the top/AVCS banjo fittings, the pics srt'd took look to be the banjos behind the cam timing cover and one buried under the turbo. Were the filters put into the AVCS banjos in earlier models, (04'), then later moved to the head outlets? Were their four to start with? Are their only two now? Are filters only in the head outlets now?

...and last but not least, are these filters also present in 05' sti - vin# after 5*502352 as listed in the link to Scoobymod. If so, how many filters and which banjos contain them? Please say if it has them it's in the easy to get to ones.:redface: If it is the head outlets, how do I go about removing them. Does anyone know of a step by step faq showing removal?

You guys got me all worried. :spin:

instead of clean/replace could you just get rid of it altogether? bosco

Makes you wonder why the Subaru engineers feel it is even necessary to have these little filter screens. It seems to create more problems than it prevents. If the spin-on oil filter is inadequate in providing clean oil to the turbo bearing and oil flow control valves, then maybe Subaru should improve their spin-on oil filter instead of using band aid solutions like a filter screen in a banjo fitting. Subaru should start using the newer "nanofiber" filter media (such as Donaldson Synteq media) for their spin-on oil filters, and get rid of these silly little filter screens. And they could redesign the bypass valve on the filter, so that dirty oil is not circulated when oil pressure is too high (maybe this is why they have the filter screens, to prevent dirty oil from an open bypass valve entering the turbo bearing???).

Makes you wonder why the Subaru engineers feel it is even necessary to have these little filter screens. It seems to create more problems than it prevents. If the spin-on oil filter is inadequate in providing clean oil to the turbo bearing and oil flow control valves, then maybe Subaru should improve their spin-on oil filter instead of using band aid solutions like a filter screen in a banjo fitting. Subaru should start using the newer "nanofiber" filter media (such as Donaldson Synteq media) for their spin-on oil filters, and get rid of these silly little filter screens. And they could redesign the bypass valve on the filter, so that dirty oil is not circulated when oil pressure is too high (maybe this is why they have the filter screens, to prevent dirty oil from an open bypass valve entering the turbo bearing???).

the killing part of the filter thing is my JD lawn tractor has a bigger filter than my car does. :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

the killing part of the filter thing is my JD lawn tractor has a bigger filter than my car does. :lol: bosco

So, what weight oil are you running in the JD? Dino or syn? Change intervals? Fumoto valve? How much oil does it burn between changes? Have you cleared the headlights?

It is still ugly.

So, what weight oil are you running in the JD? Dino or syn? Change intervals? Fumoto valve? How much oil does it burn between changes? Have you cleared the headlights?

I think he said it is on jack stands in the garage putting the meth on now. That will be one fast mowing machine.

5-30 wt., dino, once per season, no but has overhead valves, none, came cleared from factory. :) bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

they are actually going to make these bolt general maintenance in 08 at 30-60k miles because of the problems they have being clogged...........

Those 30K and 60K service visits are going to be very expensive, aren't they?

Question to All -

Are the bolts in-question self-serviceable for an average weekend hobbyist shadetree hack greasemonkey like me? :redface:

If so, what's the best procedure/recommendations on how to do so?

Thanks! :)

This is what I have seen, just by taking a cursory look. The driver side filtered banjo fitting is easily visible, near the dipstick and oil fill cap. Just follow the oil line from the oil control valve solenoid, down to the front of the head, and you will see the banjo fitting. You will also see that this fitting does not appear to be easily accessible for service :mad: I have not removed the cam belt cover on that side to see if an access hole could be cut in the back panel of the cover, without removing the cam belt or cam gears. If such an access hole could be drilled with a hole saw, that might simplify the service of this banjo filter. But that still leaves the other banjo filter to be serviced, and I was not even able to see it from the top of the motor, with the motor cover in place.

I guess I am waiting on a walk-through, as well.

Oil change this week, and the car is just past 30k... so I am wondering if I should pull these things, and clean those filters. I'd ditch them... but that somehow seems risky. hopefully just some clean oil and a bit of light cleaning should do it.

Unless this service is going to be covered under warranty...

I WORK AT A SUBARU SERVICE DEPT. WE HAVE HAD 10+FAILURES OF TURBOS AND 5+FAILURES OF MOTORS FROM THE BANJO BOLT FILTER BEING CLOGGED. THE FILTER IS IN THE TURBO OIL FEED/AVCS FEED LINE COMING OUT OF THE HEAD (RIGHT) UNDER THE TURBO. BOTH FEED LINES USE THE SAME BANJO BOLT AT THE HEAD, ALL TURBO SUBARUS HAVE A FILTER IN THAT BANJO BOLT. WHEN OIL STARTS TO SLUGE IT PLUGS THAT BOLT. THE OTHER SIDE (LEFT/DRIVER) IS BEHIND THE TIMING COVER IN THE FRONT OF THE HEAD. THATS WHY WE PUSH SO HARD TO HAVE OIL CHANGES DONE A 3750 MILES LIKE THE BOOK SAYS. THE 2008 BOOK NOW STATES (LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE BEFORE) THAT ALL TURBO CARS, REGUARDLESS OF STYLE, ARE NOW TO FOLLOW THE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE OF EXTREME DRIVING CONDITIONS, WHICH IS 3.5 MONTHS OR 3,750 MILES. SUBARU ALSO USED TO TAKE A HARD STANCE THAT SYNTHETIC OIL IS NOT TO BE USED, BUT JUST IN A EMAIL WE GOT YESTERDAY (5.1.07), STATES:

Synthetic oil can be safely used provided the viscosity and oil grade classifications as noted in the Owners Manual are used. The oil change interval noted in the maintenance schedule must still be adhered to.

THAT IS COPIED AND PASTED FROM THEIR WEB SITE.

THIS IS ALSO THE COPY AND PASTE FROM THE NEWSLETTER:

Severe Driving Conditions will require the oil change interval to be increased to 3,750 miles or 3.75 months. New for 2008: All turbocharged models are considered to be operated under severe driving conditions and require the oil interval of 3,750 miles or 3.75 months.

EVERY TURBO/MOTOR FAILURE WE HAVE HAD IN THE LGT MODEL 05 AND UP IS FROM THESE BOLTS BEING CLOGGED DUE TO LACK OF PROPER MAINTENANCE. SOA ALWAYS ASKS FOR RECEIPTS AND ALL THAT FAIL ARE DOING THEIR OIL CHANGES AT 4K MILES AND BEYOND, AND IN SOME CASES SOA HAS DECLINED WARRANTY TO THESE VEHICLES.

This is the EXACT cause for my car. Oil changes every 4-5K miles. BTW, car went into the shop on March 19th and is still there...almost 2 months later.

This is the EXACT cause for my car. Oil changes every 4-5K miles. BTW, car went into the shop on March 19th and is still there...almost 2 months later.

It's for threads like this that I paid the big money to become a member.

Great heads up. I've been running Mobil 1 and changing every 6k though most of my miles are freeway. I figured that changing 1500 before the normal duty interval, using good oil and letting the oil get fully circulated before applying any load would have given me a good safety margin. Perhaps not. :(

What kind of service was your car seeing and how many miles on it before failure?

mine will be checked on tuesday (still on stands) will let you all know whats going on possible pics also, hang tight. :) bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

This is what I have seen, just by taking a cursory look. The driver side filtered banjo fitting is easily visible, near the dipstick and oil fill cap. Just follow the oil line from the oil control valve solenoid, down to the front of the head, and you will see the banjo fitting. You will also see that this fitting does not appear to be easily accessible for service :mad: I have not removed the cam belt cover on that side to see if an access hole could be cut in the back panel of the cover, without removing the cam belt or cam gears. If such an access hole could be drilled with a hole saw, that might simplify the service of this banjo filter. But that still leaves the other banjo filter to be serviced, and I was not even able to see it from the top of the motor, with the motor cover in place.

^ Thanks, bro! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

It's for threads like this that I paid the big money to become a member.

Great heads up. I've been running Mobil 1 and changing every 6k though most of my miles are freeway. I figured that changing 1500 before the normal duty interval, using good oil and letting the oil get fully circulated before applying any load would have given me a good safety margin. Perhaps not. :(

What kind of service was your car seeing and how many miles on it before failure?

My car had 43K miles on it at time of turbo failure; sounded like rocks in a tin can each time I touched the accelerator. Prior to this, regular oil changes and tire rotates every 4-5K miles. I used Valvoline DuraBlend 5W-30 - a reputable GoodYear shop near my office did all the changes.

The vast majority of the 43K miles are highway miles (70 miles roundtrip each day to-from work/home). Normal driving habits: no autox, occassional burst to redline, no jackrabbit starts, always let car warm up before getting on it...just driving like a typical 40-yr old :cool: .

My car had 43K miles on it at time of turbo failure; sounded like rocks in a tin can each time I touched the accelerator. Prior to this, regular oil changes and tire rotates every 4-5K miles. I used Valvoline DuraBlend 5W-30 - a reputable GoodYear shop near my office did all the changes.

The vast majority of the 43K miles are highway miles (70 miles roundtrip each day to-from work/home). Normal driving habits: no autox, occassional burst to redline, no jackrabbit starts, always let car warm up before getting on it...just driving like a typical 40-yr old :cool: .

Sounds a lot like my service duty except for the oil brand (Mobile 1 5/30) and change interval.:eek:

My car is going in the Grand Subaru for the 30k service on Wednesday.

mine will be checked on tuesday (still on stands) will let you all know whats going on possible pics also, hang tight. :) bosco

I'm looking forward to that as well........:redface:

Archived