LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

There are only 2. One in each head at the "beginning" of the oil pipe.

So the turbo line does not have a filter - got it. I'll try and document the teardown at my next oil change, but someone will probably beat me to it as I have a couple thousand left on the oil.

Thanks again,

Ryan

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So no synthetic at all???? It's like reliving the FD days of old. :lol:

^ From the latest dealer/SoA available information posted by srt'd, it seems like they're retracting what was said about synthetics - and instead now place emphasis on following the "Extreme Service" OIC.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...... :redface::)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ From the latest dealer/SoA available information posted by srt'd, it seems like they're retracting what was said about synthetics - and instead now place emphasis on following the "Extreme Service" OIC.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...... :redface::)

I hope so, I've been using synthetic since 7500k and just changed it when I swapped turbos. :spin:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

^ I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this, too. I've been synthetic since the 10K change-out ( my usual practice - yeah, I'm superstitious :redface: ).

I've been real-good about the 3-month/3K miles OCIs, but I do confess on not being easy on the car, either.

Maybe I'll need a new (bigger, better, larger!) turbo sooner rather than later?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I hope so, I've been using synthetic since 7500k and just changed it when I swapped turbos. :spin:

This puts me in a fix too. I had heard from people on these forums that going back to regular dino oil isn't a great idea, so now I can't take advantage of the extended OCI of synthetic either. Crap.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

So here's the other questions, and I know that at least the filter question has been brought up by others (outahere, etc.)....

(1) What does this mean with the filter/screens in the banjo bolts catching metal particles and other debris? Does this mean that the OEM Subaru filters aren't doing their job sufficiently? And if this is the case, what should we switch to (Purolator Pure-One comes to-mind)?

(2) If sludge is also a cause of the filter build-up, would other procedures, such as a cool-down idle (using or not using a "turbo timer") be of-benefit?

So here's the other questions, and I know that at least the filter question has been brought up by others (outahere, etc.)....

(1) What does this mean with the filter/screens in the banjo bolts catching metal particles and other debris? Does this mean that the OEM Subaru filters aren't doing their job sufficiently? And if this is the case, what should we switch to (Purolator Pure-One comes to-mind)?

(2) If sludge is also a cause of the filter build-up, would other procedures, such as a cool-down idle (using or not using a "turbo timer") be of-benefit?

For #1 it doesn't mean anything. There is no evidence that the OEM filter does not do its job and do it well. Of course at least 100 people are going to chime and say that I am wrong so decide for yourself ;) Two interesting things to consider: 1. the things those filters are catching would otherwise have been sent through the turbo and 2. consider what happens if the filters are removed and you have a failure later; if the car is in for warranty service, unless SOA issues a TSB I suspect there will be trouble.

^ Well-put, bro ( including your self-bash :lol: ). :)

---

Boxer2.5GT - Geez, I was starting to wonder if "expecting" has mellowed ya. :lol: ROFL.

It seems crazy to me that these two little critical filters aren't part of the regular scheduled maintenance. I would think the 30K interval.

This board is littered with gear heads and grease monkeys that can build engines blindfolded. Almost three years later we're discovering the importance of these banjo bolt filters.

I don't understand why Subaru didn't/hasn't made these part of routine maintenance on our cars. :confused::spin:

- The Mortgage Man

I'm headed for the dealer next week to find out how much there gunna charge a bra to service these pesky little filters.........I'll post it when I get word.....:spin:

You'll probably get charged more if you wear a bra. Go braless.

There is mention that one should be checking the oil level at every fillup, but typically the engine is hot then, right?

The owners manual says to only check fluid levels when the vehicle is cold. Is SOA contradicting itself?

Cheers,

Mike

There is mention that one should be checking the oil level at every fillup, but typically the engine is hot then, right?

The owners manual says to only check fluid levels when the vehicle is cold. Is SOA contradicting itself?

Cheers,

Mike

You just want to make sure all the oil in the heads and turbo has dripped back into the oil pan so you can get an accurate reading. Otherwise, you could get a false low.

What I do is fill up, then check my oil. This gives the oil a bit to flow back into the pan.

-Ryan

You just want to make sure all the oil in the heads and turbo has dripped back into the oil pan so you can get an accurate reading. Otherwise, you could get a false low.

What I do is fill up, then check my oil. This gives the oil a bit to flow back into the pan.

-Ryan

Not to get too far OT here, but I usually check every time that I fill up too. I can't tell you the number of times that somebody comes up and asks me if I'm having car trouble. When I tell them that I'm just checking my oil level, they usually give me a funny look. Why is this so strange? Does nobody properly maintain their car anymore?? :spin:

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

^ nope. case in point 7500 mile oil changes :lol: bosco

And then you get oiling passages full of sludge that kill the motor or small screens full of random crap - hurray! :p

When I dropped the oil pan on our old Jeep Cherokee, there was 3 inches of sludge in the sump - and a quicky lube sticker in the window with a date two years in the past. The oil pump still was within tolerances, but the rod and main bearings were toast and the hydraulic lifters weren't pumping up. Ick.

So no, you could weld the hood shut on most people's cars and they would drive it till the motor seized.

-Ryan

For #1 it doesn't mean anything. There is no evidence that the OEM filter does not do its job and do it well. Of course at least 100 people are going to chime and say that I am wrong so decide for yourself ;) Two interesting things to consider: 1. the things those filters are catching would otherwise have been sent through the turbo and 2. consider what happens if the filters are removed and you have a failure later; if the car is in for warranty service, unless SOA issues a TSB I suspect there will be trouble.
Hmmm, sounds like as long as the screw-on filter is doing it's job, removing them is better than changing them all the time if you have a relatively questionable engine warranty anyway with an upgraded turbo and new piping...
:spin:

.......It is true, Subaru is updating their Recomeneded Service Intervals to state that all 2005 and newer turbocharged cars should follow the Severe duty maintenance schedules.

Here is a copy of Pages #3 & #4 from May's Tech Tip bulletin issued to dealers by Subaru, note the very last couple of lines: http://www.thel7.com/Docs/May07tipsPgs3-4.pdf..........

The last sentence from the May tech tips reads:

"NEW FOR 2008: All turbocharged models are considered to be operated under severe driving conditions and require the oil interval of 3,750 miles or 3.75 months."

The above statement from Subaru is ambiguous. Does it mean that starting in 2008 all MY2005 and later turbos have to adopt the severe service schedule? Or does it mean that the MY2008 turbos have to adopt the severe service schedule? :confused:

it means you should always change at 3k miles because you love your car and you want it to run the best at all times and not grenade on you at the most inopertune moment.

What it really means is that Subaru will have more trouble selling cars......

the service dept. will let you know AFTER you buy the car :rolleyes:

9/10 sales guys could not tell you the maintenance schedule!!! j/k I don't know if this is true or not. I know when we bought our Honda, my wife knew more than the sales guy and she kept correcting him. He was a tool. Don't know if this is the general consensus for Subaru dealers or not.

Archived