LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

^ so what ur saying is that i lucked out and happen to get a engine that works better with fully synthetic oil??

Excatly. Anecdotal evidence from dozens of people on this site show that the exact same oil performs differently in different LGTs. It is logical to assume that there are slight variations in engine components that cause this, and you just have to try different ones until something works for you.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know why, but my car burns oil also. I use Mobil1 5w-30 fully synthetic. I guess I'm also running rich because of a BOV, full TBE and no tune (?). The car runs perfect, I just check my oil every couple weeks and the dipstick shows about either half or 3/4 up to full. Should I change what oil I use?

I don't know why, but my car burns oil also. I use Mobil1 5w-30 fully synthetic. I guess I'm also running rich because of a BOV, full TBE and no tune (?). The car runs perfect, I just check my oil every couple weeks and the dipstick shows about either half or 3/4 up to full. Should I change what oil I use?

Changing the oil that you use would be the cheap fix, but check with the modders over in the powertrain forum. They have done every imaginable upgrade to these cars, and would be able to tell you if your car likely needs a tune to correct your oil consumption issue.

I would try regular dino oil for 3k miles or so on your next change and see if the problem resolves itself.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

^ i have a BOV TBE catless DP catless UP but with a tune... i run rich too.. at least i THINK i do... but that should have nothing to do with the reason your burning oil.... i find that the bigger turbo's will burn more oil... they get alot hotter etc... i havent used mobil 1 synthetic on my subie yet... but i use to use it on my supercharged integra gs-r... and that thing burned like 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles or so.... it wouldnt hurt to try a different brand of full synthetic oil would it?? i havent had any issues with the castrol edge full synthetic... but i plan on trying out amsoil... they claim they out perform but who knows...

No

thats what i was told... thats why castrol doesnt make syntec blend anymore... they only make the high mileage one... 75000 miles... some of them do say they are synthetic blend.. but i was told all the companies now that are making high mileage oils are synthetic blend...

Try some 0W-40.

0w just means that it flows more freely at cold temperatures... 0w is the oils viscosity at cold temperatures... then when it gets hot it doesnt get as thick as a 40w would.... i think you would use 0w-40 like in sub-zero temps... 0w allowing for a cold start... 40w when its hot to maintain its thickness and not turn watery...

0w just means that it flows more freely at cold temperatures... 0w is the oils viscosity at cold temperatures... then when it gets hot it doesnt get as thick as a 40w would.... i think you would use 0w-40 like in sub-zero temps... 0w allowing for a cold start... 40w when its hot to maintain its thickness and not turn watery...

And the viscosity also controls how easily the oil will leak past pistons and other items in the engine.

For more oil cooking, I suggest that you continue to read this old post: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1664482#post1664482

453747.png

The problem with saying that "synthetic" oils cause consumption is... most "synthetic" oils on the market aren't even true synthetics since they're primarily composed of a group III basestock, which is heavily refined mineral oil.

^ how do you know what group its in?? will it say on the bottle?? i use 5w-30 castrol edge full synthetic... but im thinkin about switchin to 5w-40 amsoil if i can find a local retailer...

MSDS sheets, product data sheets

• 3 years later...

Been using Royal Purple 5w-30 since 10,000, change around 5000 miles on regular basis, now at 178,500 usually down between one half and 1 qt. over 5000, depending upon how hard I drive.

Thought about Amsoil filters / oil, but not sure if I want to now start extending to 15,000 miles between changes with their extended life filter ($19.95).

I thought I read that Purolator now has an oil filter for synthetic oil for better screening .

Comments? Anyone use the full Amsoil filter system that adds filtering / Separator(?) can?

Been using Royal Purple 5w-30 since 10,000, change around 5000 miles on regular basis, now at 178,500 usually down between one half and 1 qt. over 5000, depending upon how hard I drive.

Thought about Amsoil filters / oil, but not sure if I want to now start extending to 15,000 miles between changes with their extended life filter ($19.95).

I thought I read that Purolator now has an oil filter for synthetic oil for better screening .

Comments? Anyone use the full Amsoil filter system that adds filtering / Separator(?) can?

You need to PM HAMMERDOWN, he can answer all your questions. Both my cars are on Amsoil Euorpean 5w-40 and I have decided to go with 5000 mile OCI. I can't remember which filter I use, I just keep re-ordering the same order from Amsoil. It's all in my account info.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived