LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

My 95 2.2L burns less than a quart of oil every 4k miles, and its got a bad rear main seal, and over 209k miles. Just because its an older engine, I check the oil level at least once a week. I've switched to Castrol Syntec High Milleage 5w30 and its made quite the difference.

On my 07, I use mobil 1 5w30, and other than the one time I changed the oil, I don't think I ever checked the dipstick.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
better start :cool:

^ Some FI Scoobys may see excess consumption with M1 synthetics, but that's nowhere near "universal," by any means. There's plenty of us here who do use M1 synthetic 5W30 or 10W30 with little to no loss over the course of typical OCIs.

I'm pretty religious about 3K miles/3-months, whichever comes first, and honestly, my driving style (although I'm typically a very conservative driver, I do launch her about at least twice a week, and am not shy about reaching redline) as well as daily routine (my daily commute/errands is all city-traffic surface-streets, stop-and-go -- and short distance commutes at that) is probably one of the harshes and most likely to induce consumption. Even with two dyno pulls for tuning, there was no consumption to speak of on either the 5W or 10W with the M1.

Strangely enough, with the "miracle oil" of the German Castrol 0W30, I have seen, over this last OCI (my second on this oil), about a quarter of a quart consumption.

I feel that how an engine takes to any particular lubricant is very much a unique issue, and can't be generalized.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yes I'm sure. Actually, pretty common knowledge. They sued others companies when Mobil was true synthetic. They lost in court because the term is too general. So to compete with the prices, they use a non synthetic (i.e. dino oil) base stock. I am not saying it is bad, just not true synthetic. There is better out there. Obviously amsoil, but others too are better than mobil. But, nothing wrong with it.

Yes I'm sure. Actually, pretty common knowledge. They sued others companies when Mobil was true synthetic. They lost in court because the term is too general. So to compete with the prices, they use a non synthetic (i.e. dino oil) base stock. I am not saying it is bad, just not true synthetic. There is better out there. Obviously amsoil, but others too are better than mobil. But, nothing wrong with it.

I think you have it wrong. The only suit that comes to mind is Havoline (I think) that used a highly refined dino oil they claimed was synthetic and they were sued by Mobil who do produce a true synthetic.

I think you have it wrong. The only suit that comes to mind is Havoline (I think) that used a highly refined dino oil they claimed was synthetic and they were sued by Mobil who do produce a true synthetic.

No, actually Prime Power is correct. Mobil 1 had been a Group IV true synthetic oil for years, but they recently switched some of the Mobil 1 line to Group III, which is basically highly refined conventional oil. Group III oils perform pretty much like Group IV oils but are signifigantly cheaper to produce and can legally be called "full synthetic" in the US.

^ I wonder if my oil-pressure observations may have had something to do with this?

Most interesting.

Maybe it's about time I got an UOA done. :redface:

It just seemed strange to me that the M1 gave me readings that fluctuated more (as compared to the German Castrol), but translated to no loss, whereas the German Castrol truly has seen some loss, no matter how small.

For my car, at least, I'd like to figure out where the issue lies. :) I also think it is important for everyone to remember that just because someone else's car takes well to one brand/grade of oil, it doesn't necessarily mean that their own vehicle will do the same. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Apparently after going to the dealership and talking with them... they asked what kind of oil I was using I said Mobil 1 syth. "AHHHHHH" they said......apparently Subies motors burn fully synthetic oil... I said "BS" so they said ok how about we put syth blend back in then come back in 1k miles.....I said cool.....I drove like a mad man for almost 2k miles and never checked my oil; brought it back to the dealer and they checked the oil in right in front of me and showed me the dip stick...it was dead on balls full. They said Subaru motors tolerances aren't tight enough for full syth motor oil ....hmmmm that may be true.... because my buddy is on his second motor because after switching to syth and didn't check it on the regular... :confused: To drive the point home....(no pun intended) they showed me two STI motors there one was warrentied......both "had" syth motor oil in them.....

I've been trying to tell people that on here every since I joined here, but......

I think Mobil1 is way too thin. Why use synthetic anyway?? We have a water cooled turbo. No coking going on.

No, actually Prime Power is correct. Mobil 1 had been a Group IV true synthetic oil for years, but they recently switched some of the Mobil 1 line to Group III, which is basically highly refined conventional oil. Group III oils perform pretty much like Group IV oils but are signifigantly cheaper to produce and can legally be called "full synthetic" in the US.

I hadn't heard that news. Interesting. Thanks for the update gents.

ehh simple fact of the matter is, some cars just burn oil, regardless of what oil you use. Yeah u can go thicker if ur burning oil, or whatever but thats just the way it is.

Every LGT will NOT burn, or not burn the same ammount of oil. Thats life and cars. Break in period blah blah blah, it doesnt matter. It just happens or it doesn't

Oscar

If I am not mistaken "regular" Mobil 1 is true synthetic but Mobil 1 EP (Extended Performance) is not.

I might be wrong :-(

Krzys

Yeah your wrong.

The EP thats 15k miles, is fully syntec. The 7500 one is syntec blend. And the 5000 is dino oil.

Trust me, thats how it is.

Oscar

ehh simple fact of the matter is, some cars just burn oil, regardless of what oil you use. Yeah u can go thicker if ur burning oil, or whatever but thats just the way it is.

Every LGT will NOT burn, or not burn the same ammount of oil. Thats life and cars. Break in period blah blah blah, it doesnt matter. It just happens or it doesn't

Oscar

The fact is....Subies burn syth oil.....and that shouldn't be part of life....if subies or porch's burn more than there share of oil it should be noted.... so far the dealer's know, or at least some do....

^ But that's the trouble - not all Scoobys do. And even those that do, tend to see differing amounts of consumption based on the different brand/constituency of oil.

Both of my Scoobys, as well as the LGTs of many members here, have not even seen the consumption on Mobil1 5W or 10W30 that so many others have reported.

Strangely enough, I "burn" German Castrol 0W30 - which, by all conventions in our community, should be "the magic oil." :lol:

This is something that simply cannot and should not fall under a blanket statement.

^ But that's the trouble - not all Scoobys do. And even those that do, tend to see differing amounts of consumption based on the different brand/constituency of oil.

Both of my Scoobys, as well as the LGTs of many members here, have not even seen the consumption on Mobil1 5W or 10W30 that so many others have reported.

Strangely enough, I "burn" German Castrol 0W30 - which, by all conventions in our community, should be "the magic oil." :lol:

This is something that simply cannot and should not fall under a blanket statement.

I hear ya......but...it can't be ignored....there's enough people here "the forum" and the dealer “if u ask I’ll tell ya” that say "SUBIES CONSUME SYNTH OIL" Y ? ... I don't care, well I do..... but it can't be denied, enough people here have stated and confirmed oil consumption. Some don’t… "what seems to be to me the minority" all I know is mine didn’t, I had no clue what people where talking about until I made the switch to syth oil. Then I was like WTF did my oil go? The dealer said switch back. I did and had no problem…hmmmm I don’t know what that tells u…..but it tells me people need to know… “sommim ain’t quite write”

let me know if I have to clean up my typing :)

^ Nah, bro, your typing is fine. :)

I understand what you're saying - but the problem with assuming that there's an issue with synthetic oil consumption based on our Forum demographics/statistics is problematic in and of itself.

This is an enthusiast's Forum - and as such, it tends to draw those who are seeking information about how to perhaps address some problem that their vehicle may be having. It's a case of, always, that we'll see more people here "with a problem" than we will see those who may just top by to say "wow, my car's been really solid and problem-free."

Look at "clutch stink," or the center-console trim panel fit problem.

How many of our sister vehicles with manual trannies are out there now - just in the '05s alone - which have not seen this problem? That's a statistic which we'd likely never know, but just looking at our Forums here, one would think that this problem affected nearly *ALL* '05 5MTs.

The same goes for the trim-panel.

Each car is different, and people need to understand that they need to find what works well for their car and their needs. :)

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4299&d=1132426141

Pic of tiny filter inside banjo bolt. Now, this is from an '04 2.5L Turbo on a Forester Turbo. Did some of these make it into '05 Leg GT's...?

check this link as well...

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20301#post20301

Archived