LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holly Sheit!:eek: Just saw this thread... Good thing I get my oil changed every 3K at the same dealer (it only costs $18.99), and check the oil at every fill up. That gives me some peace of mind.

Lazy subscribe...

So did anyone confirm if we have a AVCS-style filter screen in our turbo oil lines? My research in the "vacation pics" has revealed nothing.

Also, I'm curious how the oil line that feeds oil /into/ the turbo can get clogged with coked oil. Any thoughts on this?

I figure at my next oil change I'll inspect the AVCS screens - does anyone know the size of crush washers needed? I can get them for $0.10 at the local auto parts shop if I know the size...

-Ryan

just got done "looking" at mine good luck getting them out especially around the down pipe mine are staying where they are for now and i'll just change my oil every 3000 mi. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

So are there any interim recommendations as far as oil change SOP until Subaru comes out with something official? Drop to a 3,750 mile OCI, regardless of driving style or climate?

Right now, I'm doing a 5000 mile OCI with Quaker State Q full synthetic. My UOA's have been excellent, but they can't check this little damn filter.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

everyone lives in the extreme driving condition areas, so following the footnotes: every 3,750 miles or 3.75 months. and just to let everyone know, i just back flushed one of the bolts i had. it looked clean when i was done, then i took it apart, not clean at all. small amount of fine metal shavings were in the filter i could not see until i took the filter out. and under the end of the bolt and around the rubber sides there was alot of burnt/coked oil found. i would just pay the $15 to $18 and just buy a new one. sorry.

Any idea on what a dealer would charge to replace these filters? Sounds like a PIA...

thats the only way mine are coming out :lol: those bad boys are buried maybe if the car where on a lift but on my back in the driveway fat chance. good luck. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Bosco and I looked at them today. The bolt on the driver's side looks pretty easy. the one on the passenger side does not :( It is one of those deals where you can put your hand on it but can't get a wrench or a socket on it with the turbo in place. You also can't see it unless you are under the car. It might be possible to get at it with a flex head wrench, but certainly not with a regular wrench or a socket.

Oil history of my GT

New SOA filter & oil 4000 miles

1st. change till 30k, Mobil1 5w-30 every 6000 miles \ filter every 3000 miles

30k to pressent [68k] Amsoil 0w-30 series 2000 severe service synthetic oil & Amsoil EA0-020 oil filter every 15k.

This car has seen so far, 50 run down the drag strip & 100 miles round trip to work, and it's only 20 mos. old.

My GT has always used alittle oil. SOA oil; just under a 1\4 qt. in 4k

Mobil1 oil; just under a 1\2 gt. in 6k

Amsoil oil; just under a 3\4 gt.in 15k

I think the use of oil of one car over another of the same modle. Is do the + & - tolerances that manufactures use. Hight side tolerance, oil use. Low side tolerance, no oil use.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

everyone lives in the extreme driving condition areas' date=' so following the footnotes: every 3,750 miles or 3.75 months. and just to let everyone know, i just back flushed one of the bolts i had. it looked clean when i was done, then i took it apart, not clean at all. small amount of fine metal shavings were in the filter i could not see until i took the filter out. and under the end of the bolt and around the rubber sides there was alot of burnt/coked oil found. i would just pay the $15 to $18 and just buy a new one. sorry.[/quote']

There's a basic logic problem here. I hope people understand what it is.

I've had the dealer tell me I drive in "extreme" conditions and I even called Subaru and had them define it. By Subaru's definition, I don't drive in extreme conditions and based on what they said, very few people do.

I'm going to change my oil on the extreme schedule for safety but given what Subaru says and that other manufacturers go 10k (Porsche, BMW) between changes, I think Subaru's ill defined scheduled is a PITA. I think Subaru needs to clarify things and give definitive explanations. It would also be nice if they didn't use thimble sized oil filters.

Like bosco and rao say, the location of these in-line filters is not conducive to routine replacement. If the 2008 requires a scheduled replacement I would think that they would be relocated somehow. For the 2005-2007 models I'd just stick with the 3,750 oil change interval unless SOA comes out with something recommending replacement of these filters.

Bosco and I looked at them today. The bolt on the driver's side looks pretty easy. the one on the passenger side does not :( It is one of those deals where you can put your hand on it but can't get a wrench or a socket on it with the turbo in place. You also can't see it unless you are under the car. It might be possible to get at it with a flex head wrench, but certainly not with a regular wrench or a socket.

^ Thanks for the look-see, bruddah. :(

Yuck.....maybe someone will have to develop a specialty tool for this. :spin:

----

srt'd - Have you had a chance to take apart these components from any vehicles that have followed Subaru's "Extreme Service" schedule? If so, how did they look?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Like bosco and rao say, the location of these in-line filters is not conducive to routine replacement. If the 2008 requires a scheduled replacement I would think that they would be relocated somehow. For the 2005-2007 models I'd just stick with the 3,750 oil change interval unless SOA comes out with something recommending replacement of these filters.

That seems like some piss poor engineering on Subaru's part.

^ Wish I had one of those - if I did, I'd mail it to you to borrow!

Thanks again for looking into this, for all of us. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I have the non-flex ratcheting wrenches - I'm guessing I may own a flex one at my next oil change.

Not to repeat myself too much, but did anyone confirm/deny a filter in the turbo oil supply line?

Thanks,

Ryan

srt'd and opie have confirmed the presence of the filters on the cylinder head connection.

Yikes, so three line filters to check/replace then - I'll probably pull the whole turbo oil supply line and clean it out good. We'll find out if that Mobil1 I've been using is worth the $$$...

Thanks,

Ryan

Archived