LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

^ Nah, bro, your typing is fine. :)

I understand what you're saying - but the problem with assuming that there's an issue with synthetic oil consumption based on our Forum demographics/statistics is problematic in and of itself.

This is an enthusiast's Forum - and as such, it tends to draw those who are seeking information about how to perhaps address some problem that their vehicle may be having. It's a case of, always, that we'll see more people here "with a problem" than we will see those who may just top by to say "wow, my car's been really solid and problem-free."

Look at "clutch stink," or the center-console trim panel fit problem.

How many of our sister vehicles with manual trannies are out there now - just in the '05s alone - which have not seen this problem? That's a statistic which we'd likely never know, but just looking at our Forums here, one would think that this problem affected nearly *ALL* '05 5MTs.

The same goes for the trim-panel.

Each car is different, and people need to understand that they need to find what works well for their car and their needs. :)

^ well reasoned, I've always found TSi+WRX to give insightful and thoughtful info. Its amazing to me how much bad info is out there concerning motor oil. It's really useless to debate with many because they wouldn't change their mind if their life depended on it.

Btw its been confirmed by SOA, but they don't want you to know, that synthetic oil causes clutch stink and misaligned center console trim bits. :lol:

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used mobil 1, 5-30, and 10-30, in my STI, which was did not

use any oil at 90,000 miles.

Now have 35000 miles on my LGT, using mobil 1, 5-30, and it

is not using any oil either.

I broke in both engines using dino.

Have been very happy with the oil consumption.

Incidentally, mercedes uses mobil 1, 0-40 in their engines. Older mercedes engines suffering some leaks with lesser synthetics leak no more with this stuff. Sounds similar to the german castrol synthetic.

I had bad oil consumption with a mercedes some years ago, and the then castrol synthetic.

Mike

^ well reasoned, I've always found TSi+WRX to give insightful and thoughtful info.

:redface: Aw please, bruddah....... :redface: That's making me blush. I'm honored and flattered that you think so highly of me, but please, I'm just another weekend greasemonkey wrench, nothing more.

I really have a very shallow technical knowledge pool, but there are just some truths (hard earned with money, sweat, blood, and/or cursing) that are undeniable, and I feel should be shared know-how with fellow hobbyists and enthusiasts. And in that light ------>

Its amazing to me how much bad info is out there concerning motor oil. It's really useless to debate with many because they wouldn't change their mind if their life depended on it.

Exactly.

There's soooooooooo much out there that's written that I just get more confused the more I read - and what's sad about this is that I'm a research scientist by training and occupation. :lol:

I've got close friends who know a LOT more about cars than I do, both in the Import Sport Compact crowd and the old-school Hot Rod crowd, that have squared off on this issue many, many times. In leeching knowledge and experience from them, I've simply come to the conclusion - as many other brothers/sisters here have, too - that each of our vehicles are indeed unique animals, much like our children, and that as-such, we should cater our treatment of each biased towards their own unique needs, weaknesses, and strengths.

I know that for me, my wife's Rex will more than likely just stay with Mobil1. As long as her consumption issue is a non-issue, I see no problems with this product, which I've used for so long on so many of my, and my family's, various vehicles.

With my Winky, I currently think that I can easily live with the quarter-quart drop over 3K miles (which is my OCI, anyway) - and that I do prefer the more "rock steady" oil-pressures that it gives me during vehicle operation ( and that little pressure-dip at-idle, when I near the OCI, due to slight consumption, is rather neat, too! :) ). As long as I do not see this getting worse, I think I will stay with the "German" Castrol. However, there's always the M1 as back-up.

Btw its been confirmed by SOA, but they don't want you to know, that synthetic oil causes clutch stink and misaligned center console trim bits. :lol:

^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wub:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4299&d=1132426141

Pic of tiny filter inside banjo bolt. Now, this is from an '04 2.5L Turbo on a Forester Turbo. Did some of these make it into '05 Leg GT's...?

check this link as well...

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20301#post20301

Kind of interesting for the fact that Subaru would stick a filter in a banjo bolt in the first place, but that link shows they did it on the AVCS oil supply, not the turbo's. Still useful though.

Kind of interesting for the fact that Subaru would stick a filter in a banjo bolt in the first place, but that link shows they did it on the AVCS oil supply, not the turbo's. Still useful though.

indeed it is....

I switched to Penznoil Platinum 5W-20 at the first oil change and have had little or no oil consumption in 2+ years on average 5k mile change intervals.

I had a shop install my TDC 40BB turbo in early March and they always do an oil change with any turbo swap. The used Mobil1 5W-20. I checked the oil frequently in the days right after the install to make sure there was no oil loss problem and things looked OK so went back to the usual dipstick pull every 2 weeks or so.

I checked the level today and it was down a full quart. This is after a total of 1040 miles since the upgraded turbo and Mobil1 went in. In that time I've only done 2 full WOT blasts, otherwise just the same around town and expressway/tollway runs that the car typically saw. I'm going to be checking at least once a week now.

Pennzoil Platinum will go back in at the next drain and fill. It'll be interesting to see if the oil consumption goes back to nil.

cam timing is regulated over-all by a belt. AVCS might use some oil pressure to adjust that timing, but without oil pressure might mean that AVCS doesn't vary the timing much, or at all, but it should still be "in time" on the baseline, with the timing chain or belt, which is not oil-supply related.

the supply of oil for the turbo might be coincidentally low pressure, due to lack of volume, if the oil pickup in the oil pan runs dry while driving (which low oil might or might not allow to happen), but the one does not cause the other, and still won't affect the over-all cam timing.

If your cams are out of base-line timing, then they skipped a tooth on the timing belt, or something. not turbo oil pressure.

BTW, why is your car two quarts low??? have you not checked it? Most engines burn a slight amount of oil, and the Subaru boxers are certainly not immune, and Mobil 1 is specifically mentioned often for "burning off" and periodcally showing low oil levels.

BTW, why is your car two quarts low??? have you not checked it? Most engines burn a slight amount of oil, and the Subaru boxers are certainly not immune, and Mobil 1 is specifically mentioned often for "burning off" and periodcally showing low oil levels.

Good question. No leaks. I haven't had a problem with running low on oil before this. I will start paying closer attention now.

ive got back and forth...i used m1 5-30 and i noticed some burn off...ive gone to rpurple 5-30 and it wasnt as bad...i was wondering cause ive noticed like on the greddy oils they are producing now...they use a higher weight for there turbo oil...any reason...also i live in houston...if climate affects it at all???

I WORK AT A SUBARU SERVICE DEPT. WE HAVE HAD 10+FAILURES OF TURBOS AND 5+FAILURES OF MOTORS FROM THE BANJO BOLT FILTER BEING CLOGGED. THE FILTER IS IN THE TURBO OIL FEED/AVCS FEED LINE COMING OUT OF THE HEAD (RIGHT) UNDER THE TURBO. BOTH FEED LINES USE THE SAME BANJO BOLT AT THE HEAD, ALL TURBO SUBARUS HAVE A FILTER IN THAT BANJO BOLT. WHEN OIL STARTS TO SLUGE IT PLUGS THAT BOLT. THE OTHER SIDE (LEFT/DRIVER) IS BEHIND THE TIMING COVER IN THE FRONT OF THE HEAD. THATS WHY WE PUSH SO HARD TO HAVE OIL CHANGES DONE A 3750 MILES LIKE THE BOOK SAYS. THE 2008 BOOK NOW STATES (LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE BEFORE) THAT ALL TURBO CARS, REGUARDLESS OF STYLE, ARE NOW TO FOLLOW THE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE OF EXTREME DRIVING CONDITIONS, WHICH IS 3.5 MONTHS OR 3,750 MILES. SUBARU ALSO USED TO TAKE A HARD STANCE THAT SYNTHETIC OIL IS NOT TO BE USED, BUT JUST IN A EMAIL WE GOT YESTERDAY (5.1.07), STATES:

Synthetic oil can be safely used provided the viscosity and oil grade classifications as noted in the Owners Manual are used. The oil change interval noted in the maintenance schedule must still be adhered to.

THAT IS COPIED AND PASTED FROM THEIR WEB SITE.

THIS IS ALSO THE COPY AND PASTE FROM THE NEWSLETTER:

Severe Driving Conditions will require the oil change interval to be increased to 3,750 miles or 3.75 months. New for 2008: All turbocharged models are considered to be operated under severe driving conditions and require the oil interval of 3,750 miles or 3.75 months.

EVERY TURBO/MOTOR FAILURE WE HAVE HAD IN THE LGT MODEL 05 AND UP IS FROM THESE BOLTS BEING CLOGGED DUE TO LACK OF PROPER MAINTENANCE. SOA ALWAYS ASKS FOR RECEIPTS AND ALL THAT FAIL ARE DOING THEIR OIL CHANGES AT 4K MILES AND BEYOND, AND IN SOME CASES SOA HAS DECLINED WARRANTY TO THESE VEHICLES.

I WORK AT A SUBARU SERVICE DEPT. WE HAVE HAD 10+FAILURES OF TURBOS AND 5+FAILURES OF MOTORS FROM THE BANJO BOLT FILTER BEING CLOGGED. THE FILTER IS IN THE TURBO OIL FEED/AVCS FEED LINE COMING OUT OF THE HEAD (RIGHT) UNDER THE TURBO. BOTH FEED LINES USE THE SAME BANJO BOLT AT THE HEAD, ALL TURBO SUBARUS HAVE A FILTER IN THAT BANJO BOLT. WHEN OIL STARTS TO SLUGE IT PLUGS THAT BOLT. THE OTHER SIDE (LEFT/DRIVER) IS BEHIND THE TIMING COVER IN THE FRONT OF THE HEAD. THATS WHY WE PUSH SO HARD TO HAVE OIL CHANGES DONE A 3750 MILES LIKE THE BOOK SAYS. THE 2008 BOOK NOW STATES (LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE BEFORE) THAT ALL TURBO CARS, REGUARDLESS OF STYLE, ARE NOW TO FOLLOW THE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE OF EXTREME DRIVING CONDITIONS, WHICH IS 3.5 MONTHS OR 3,750 MILES. SUBARU ALSO USED TO TAKE A HARD STANCE THAT SYNTHETIC OIL IS NOT TO BE USED, BUT JUST IN A EMAIL WE GOT YESTERDAY (5.1.07), STATES:

Synthetic oil can be safely used provided the viscosity and oil grade classifications as noted in the Owners Manual are used. The oil change interval noted in the maintenance schedule must still be adhered to.

THAT IS COPIED AND PASTED FROM THEIR WEB SITE.

THIS IS ALSO THE COPY AND PASTE FROM THE NEWSLETTER:

Severe Driving Conditions will require the oil change interval to be increased to 3,750 miles or 3.75 months. New for 2008: All turbocharged models are considered to be operated under severe driving conditions and require the oil interval of 3,750 miles or 3.75 months.

EVERY TURBO/MOTOR FAILURE WE HAVE HAD IN THE LGT MODEL 05 AND UP IS FROM THESE BOLTS BEING CLOGGED DUE TO LACK OF PROPER MAINTENANCE. SOA ALWAYS ASKS FOR RECEIPTS AND ALL THAT FAIL ARE DOING THEIR OIL CHANGES AT 4K MILES AND BEYOND, AND IN SOME CASES SOA HAS DECLINED WARRANTY TO THESE VEHICLES.

Please don't use all caps when typing. It gives the impression that you're shouting.

Thanks for this info.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Please don't use all caps when typing. It gives the impression that you're shouting.

Thanks for this info.

It's OK with me, I am hard of hearing.

I knew there was a reason I do oil changes every 3000 miles.

It is still ugly.

Again they use 0W40 not 5W30:rolleyes: 0W40 is actually ok. You won't find a Porsche owner throwing in 5w30 or 0w30 or 0w20. I am NOT saying that Mobil 1 is bad oil!:rolleyes: Its just that their lower vis are really thin. All I am saying is put a higher viscosity in and be happy.

I actually use the 0w-40 in my LGT and it doesn't burn any.

Great engineering and foresight. I'm assuming these oil feed line filters were put in there to keep sludge from clogging a turbo and causing oil starvation, yet all it does is cause a clog before the turbo with the same end result: failure from lack of oil. BTW, when is SOA going to notify all pre '08 turbo owners that their manual can no longer be followed reguarding OCI?

Archived