LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

So once again, here is my question. When was subaru going to let everyone know? When your motor blows up, do they just tell you, "oh yea, the owners manual is wrong, and we are not covering it."

Good thing I change my oil every 3000 miles, but since I do it myself I am probably screwed anyway.

Its just a little worry some that they would change something so significant, and not let owners know. There is a big difference between 7500, and 3750 miles.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for helping out srt'd. I really wish this was brought to my attention earlier. I have spent a lot of money to make sure my car is running right (providing enough fuel, tons of tuning $$, replacing crush washers, replacing oil, etc)..... so it hurts me to know I have not looked into replacing these yet. I want to replace them asap now.... and... well I am due for an oil change exactly based on the 3000 mile mark!

I really wish this would have been brought to my attention earlier. I owe you a big thanks for bringing it up here though. You can still tell Tom to suck a nut though ;):lol:

So once again, here is my question. When was subaru going to let everyone know? When your motor blows up, do they just tell you, "oh yea, the owners manual is wrong, and we are not covering it."

Good thing I change my oil every 3000 miles, but since I do it myself I am probably screwed anyway.

Its just a little worry some that they would change something so significant, and not let owners know. There is a big difference between 7500, and 3750 miles.

Subaru just released this info to dealers yesterday...I would think they would also be sending it to owners shortly...

yes, if you know how to pull the timing cover, timing belt, cam pulleys and then redo timing..thats driver side.

the turbo side you need to pull turbo, oil feed/avcs under tubo on back of head. follow oil feed line under turbo to where it goes into head

***the main one with the issues is the one on the turbo side****

Well I ain't doing this myself. These little buggers are going to be expensive to have replaced.

It is still ugly.

I've been asked by Rao to look into srt'd claims and see what I can find...here ya go;...................The only document I could find regarding any maintenance regarding these filters was from the March 2007 Tech Tip's: http://www.thel7.com/Docs/March07tipsPg4.pdf

How these changes may affect warranty claims is unknown at this point.

Opie, do you also have a link to the Feb2007 Tech Tips? In the March Tech Tips, it mentions that the turbo banjo filters were discussed in February. I could not find the Feb Tech Tips at http://www.theL7. Thanks.

Seems like a complicated multi-step process to R&R these filters. What would the book hours be for all the labor to accomplish this "routine" maintenance? Could some kind of process to back-flush these screens be developed that would limit the disassembly and reassembly required to access them?

Seems like a complicated multi-step process to R&R these filters. What would the book hours be for all the labor to accomplish this "routine" maintenance? Could some kind of process to back-flush these screens be developed that would limit the disassembly and reassembly required to access them?

On the 2004 2.5L turbos in the Forester, Baja, and Impreza, book time was 0.7 hours to replace the union screw (banjo bolt) for the AVCS.

Interestingly, Subaru eliminated the filter for those vehicles, on the production line, starting in April 2005. But apparently they decided to keep the filters for the 2005 Legacy turbos.

yes, if you know how to pull the timing cover, timing belt, cam pulleys and then redo timing..thats driver side.

the turbo side you need to pull turbo, oil feed/avcs under tubo on back of head. follow oil feed line under turbo to where it goes into head

:eek::spin:

Holy cow! That's definitely beyond me!

:( Guess it'll be time to hit this one up with my local friends....... :p:)

Thanks for the "walk through" :lol:

:)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

There are not filters on the AVCS banjo bolts so there is n o need to touch the driver's side.

The connection in question is on the back of the passenger's side cylinder head, which puts it pretty much right in front of the uppipe. I have to take a look since I haven't been in there for a while. It might be a 10 minute job or it might be a few hours.

I still do not understand if SOA is recommending replacing the banjo with a filterless one or if that is just what some people are doing.

There are not filters on the AVCS banjo bolts so there is n o need to touch the driver's side.

The connection in question is on the back of the passenger's side cylinder head, which puts it pretty much right in front of the uppipe. I have to take a look since I haven't been in there for a while. It might be a 10 minute job or it might be a few hours.

I still do not understand if SOA is recommending replacing the banjo with a filterless one or if that is just what some people are doing.

Thanks for the practical update/info., rao. :)

I'd definitely appreciate a look-see on the passenger's side bolt, and an assessment of accessibility and DIY-ability.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I thought he said there WAS a filter on the AVCS and the turbo oil lines.

I thought he said there WAS a filter on the AVCS and the turbo oil lines.

The pictures posted do not show the AVCS banjo bolts. The TSB related to those specific banjo bolts does not reference Legacy or Outback motors. Several people have had those bolts out of various Legacy GTs and have not found filters in them.

I would love to have some more solid info on all of this.

The pictures posted do not show the AVCS banjo bolts. The TSB related to those specific banjo bolts does not reference Legacy or Outback motors. Several people have had those bolts out of various Legacy GTs and have not found filters in them.

I would love to have some more solid info on all of this.

the right side like you said is right under the turbo. if you follow the turbo oil feed line down to the head you will run right into it. you will notice two line coming out of that bolt right there at the head. one goes to feed the turbo and the other goes to the avcs.

now on the left side (drivers) you can actually touch that bolt. it is just right behind the timing cover in the front of that head. just follow the avcs line to the front of the head behind the timing cover and you will find it. that too does have a filter. and which you will notice if you turned the head around, it would be in the back like the other side is, i.e. same spot. so one filter for each head. this includes all 05 and up turbo models.

the right side like you said is right under the turbo. if you follow the turbo oil feed line down to the head you will run right into it. you will notice two line coming out of that bolt right there at the head. one goes to feed the turbo and the other goes to the avcs.

now on the left side (drivers) you can actually touch that bolt. it is just right behind the timing cover in the front of that head. just follow the avcs line to the front of the head behind the timing cover and you will find it. that too does have a filter. and which you will notice if you turned the head around, it would be in the back like the other side is, i.e. same spot. so one filter for each head. this includes all 05 and up turbo models.

Now that scared me :eek:

I'm still lost. If all of the joints have filters then there are 4:

1. outlet from the passenger's side head to the turbo feed/AVCS oil pipe

2. passenger's side AVCS joint

3. outlet from the driver's side head to the AVCS oil pipe

4. driver's side AVCS joint.

All are described in the TSB, but the TSB only calls for replacing #2 and #4, it calls for #1 and #3 to remain in place.

Are you replacing all of the joints on all cars?

Opie, do you also have a link to the Feb2007 Tech Tips? In the March Tech Tips, it mentions that the turbo banjo filters were discussed in February. I could not find the Feb Tech Tips at www.theL7. Thanks.

I'll locate that and post it as soon as I can.

There are only 2 of the banjo bolts with filters, they are both where srt'd described. I'll try and get pics tonight as well.

I just realized this next oil change will be #5 for me.... and I have driven the car 15k miles since I have owned it....

so that is good news. I am actually changing my oil at shorter intervals than I thought! I need to get with it! I am slightly relieved, but still want to check the conditions of these filters.

I'm still lost. If all of the joints have filters then there are 4:

1. outlet from the passenger's side head to the turbo feed/AVCS oil pipe

2. passenger's side AVCS joint

3. outlet from the driver's side head to the AVCS oil pipe

4. driver's side AVCS joint.

All are described in the TSB, but the TSB only calls for replacing #2 and #4, it calls for #1 and #3 to remain in place.

Are you replacing all of the joints on all cars?

As I understand it from srtd's description and looking at the manual, there are only two banjo bolts that contain a filter screen, and both of them are attached to the head. One filtered banjo on the rear of the passenger side head feeds both the turbo and the oil flow control solenoid valve on that head. On the front of the drivers side head is the other filtered banjo bolt that feeds the oil flow control solenoid valve for that head.

Archived