LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

I know when we bought our Honda, my wife knew more than the sales guy and she kept correcting him... Don't know if this is the general consensus for Subaru dealers or not.

I think this is generally the case with enthusiasts, and well-researched consumers. My take on it is that I want to know what I'm getting into, and when the time comes to pull the trigger and sit down with a salesperson, I've read everything I can possibly find on the product. (At least with a pricetag as big as this...)

My guess is that the salespeople are typically not interested in the cars, so much as just show up becuase it's their job. Combine that with having to be familiar with the entire model lineup, and options for each trim level (not necessarily memorized, but at least aware of what's there) and you get a "distracted" salesperson.

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I WORK AT A SUBARU SERVICE DEPT. WE HAVE HAD 10+FAILURES OF TURBOS AND 5+FAILURES OF MOTORS FROM THE BANJO BOLT FILTER BEING CLOGGED. ................

I can see how a plugged up banjo filter screen can destroy 10 turbos, but how does it destroy 5 motors? Are the motors getting destroyed from turbo bits going into the motor?

Started the turbo swap today, so i thought i would post a quick shot of location. I change my oil every 3,000 miles, and i use dino oil. The bolt and filter looked good and clean.

you should have let me know man! I would have stopped out. Awesome picture, thanks.

Please do, k mier.....

hmm...looks like my 1st post disappeared...hope this doesn't get posted twice.

Here is the thread at Nabisco, the write up w/pics starts post #54 --

http://http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18058443&posted=1#post18058443

Vitals: 05' sti, bought used w/~25k, have evidence it was used hard by the previous owner :spin: oil changes ~4k until last two which went 5300 and 6000, uoa's looked good, fram filters, Mobile 1 extended performance until last change, switched to Castrol made by elves, stg2 for ~two years.

Thanks for sharing....

....aw shucks....:wub:

I'd have to say thanks to the peeps on this site for bringing this potential problem out into the open. It would be terrible to loose my baby over a ten cent filter! I assume the lgt is very similar to the sti and you guys can get at this filter the same way. Looks like the turbo side filter is the one that seems to be causing most of the problems, now we know it can be changed/cleaned without a visit to the dealer and considered just another quirk that can be rather easily dealt with.

I just changed my oil (and installed fumoto) yesterday with m1 5w30 syn @ 2644 mi on my 07 spec.b. I've been putting off reading this thread because of the sheer volume of replies, but I knew it had some good info in it. So I just sat down and read the 18 pages, maybe its cause I'm drunk, but the whole time I've been thinking.... Subaru recommends synthetic oils, atleast thats what my owners manual says, and thats what my sales person said while waiting for the damn f&i guy. According to the owners manual, I do not live/drive in extreme conditions, and if I have change the oil at subaru recommended oci's, using subaru recommended oil, and subaru recommended weights, then my engine fails after 30k miles and they deny warranty, there will be a lawsuit, and subaru will pay for the new engine. Unless they issue a recall or public notice, they have no right to refuse service on a mechanical defect.

Now, most of you have mods, and I imagine when cobb gets off their lazy asses, I will too. Subaru may try to deny claims because of aftermarket modifications or tunes, but this IS A SUBARU ENGINEERING DEFECT and I am pissed. I have never once in my life sued or considered suing, but this is cause for a class action suit. If anyone has been denied warranty work on their cars please contact me.

:nono:

"It's what makes a subaru a subaru". I don't want my car anymore.

Ok, I need another round.

I was at the subaru dealer the other day and the salesman DID NOT KNOW WHAT THE SI DRIVE WAS! He thought it changed the suspension settings...he didn't even know what it was called and had to look it up. I was baffled

I'd have to say thanks to the peeps on this site for bringing this potential problem out into the open. It would be terrible to loose my baby over a ten cent filter!

Actually, I think the whole bolt is like $15 or so.:spin: But do not quote me for sure

I'd have to say thanks to the peeps on this site for bringing this potential problem out into the open. It would be terrible to loose my baby over a ten cent filter! I assume the lgt is very similar to the sti and you guys can get at this filter the same way. Looks like the turbo side filter is the one that seems to be causing most of the problems, now we know it can be changed/cleaned without a visit to the dealer and considered just another quirk that can be rather easily dealt with.

Twas nothing.

UPDATE:

I've got my car back - new engine and all. Runs like a charm again. Total time in shop = 7 weeks!!

So, I just returned from an interesting oil change at the dealership. I chose to hang out in the lobby and wait for the change. This is a very good dealership in my opinion.

I over hear one of the service managers calling a client that had an '05 turbo fail to inform them the car would need to be in the shop another week to order in new parts. Apparently SOA wants the dealership to send out all the oil lines and banjo bolts and filters (they already have the turbo) for further review. The service rep told me that this particular client typically went 7-9k miles between changes.

Cheers,

Mike

So, I just returned from an interesting oil change at the dealership. I chose to hang out in the lobby and wait for the change. This is a very good dealership in my opinion.

I over hear one of the service managers calling a client that had an '05 turbo fail to inform them the car would need to be in the shop another week to order in new parts. Apparently SOA wants the dealership to send out all the oil lines and banjo bolts and filters (they already have the turbo) for further review. The service rep told me that this particular client typically went 7-9k miles between changes.

Cheers,

Mike

^ that perked my ears up

• 2 weeks later...
The last sentence from the May tech tips reads:

"NEW FOR 2008: All turbocharged models are considered to be operated under severe driving conditions and require the oil interval of 3,750 miles or 3.75 months."

The above statement from Subaru is ambiguous. Does it mean that starting in 2008 all MY2005 and later turbos have to adopt the severe service schedule? Or does it mean that the MY2008 turbos have to adopt the severe service schedule? :confused:

someone at nasioc sent an email to Subaru to get clarification about this, and this was the reply from subaru:

"Hello Mr. C,

Thank you for your reply. You bring up an excellent question.

Officially, the new maintenance intervals are not retroactive to

previous model years' turbocharged vehicles. We cannot modify what has

already been established in previous model years' Maintenance Schedules,

however, we expect that our dealerships will recommend the severe

schedule to all turbo owners from this point on, as to stay as

consistent as possible.

From a practical standpoint, it will probably be beneficial for ALL

turbocharged vehicle owners to follow the severe driving intervals, as

the previous model years are basically the same in terms of design.

Many turbo AND non-turbo owners are following the 3,750 mile intervals,

based on what our dealers tell us.

Turbocharged vehicle engines are subject to higher combustion, coolant,

oil, and underhood temperatures than non-turbo models. Oil consumption

is also greater for turbo models. As you might expect, they tend to be

driven in a manner more enthusiastic than the average vehicle as to

experience its performance potential.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

S H

Subaru of America, Inc.

e-Contact Team "

So, does SOA also recommend a oil for these higher...tempatures? I mean if they recommend an "aggressive" OCI then why not also tell us which oil puts up with these temps as well. Right?

Cheers,

Mike

someone at nasioc sent an email to Subaru to get clarification about this, and this was the reply from subaru:

"Hello Mr. C,

consistent as possible.

Best Regards,

S H

Subaru of America, Inc.

e-Contact Team "

ok so no suggestion on type...and nothing to say about minimizing oil consumption....But still good to hear what they had to say

"Hello Mr. C,

consistent as possible.

Best Regards,

S H

Subaru of America, Inc.

e-Contact Team "

Ugh, I hate that sh!t. Why can't they just be clear and definitive? Dealers will recommend a service interval? WTF do the dealers really know?

I'll follow the severe service intervals but it would be nice if Subaru would say something decisive.

Archived