LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey what about Quaker State.. I heard that is the most god awful shittiest oil since it's a paraffin based oil. I read it somewhere on the web last night. It will just do something to the cylinders inside the engine. I got no idea I"m not a mechanic

The fact that an engine has done xxx miles without problem is a very good indication of how things are running. How do you think OCI and TBO are set up in the first place ?

Synthetic oil does no better job of lubricating a turbo than a mineral oil.

Oh brother... time for me to unsubscribe since it like talking to a brick wall in here.

OCIs are based on OIL ANALYSIS, LAB testing, and examination under a MICROSCOPE, etc..., not whether the engine is still running or spewing blue smoke or what not.

It's not just lubrication... heck SAE30 would probably be the best oil to lubricate a turbo, or maybe even gear oil. It's not just lubrication, it's how well that lubrication holds up to heat, soot, water, cold/hot temps, etc...

Actually, it's not really sludge that does in most turbos, it's coke. The oil cokes up when sitting in the hot turbo and forms hard clumps (turbo turds). These then clog up the oil uptake screen on the oil pump and thus start an oil starvation->heat build-up->more coke cycle that ultimately kills the engine. It is just called sludge because that is what it looks like. Synthetic oils are typically much more resistant to coking than dino oils. A mult-grade synth oil may shear down, but really that is not that big of a deal compared to the coke that can form and really cause problems.

I was just trying to help but people mostly seem interested in justifying what they are doing or what they think is right without any data to back it up. Do what you want, honestly, I don't care.

Continue on with the hype, hear-say and, rumors.

• 6 months later...
sorry guys, I know you hate this thread to death, now you must hate me. I am taking my car to the Stealer on saturday for my car's first oil change since I bought it. Bought it with 10,5XX miles on it, almost has 13,5XX now. I just wanted to have the Stealer change it for me for the first time, plus it's too friggin cold outside right now and I'm too lazy to change it. That will change as time goes on. They quoted me just under $29 for an oil change but this was with non-synthetic oil. Should I, and I know you guys are going to hate me for asking this, should I tell them I want synthetic, and what brand to go with? Also, is it good to change the oil on this every 3000 - 3500 miles or is it safe to let it go longer? Bring the haterade!

Subie dealers around me use Castrol syntec - so that's what I use. This way they can't blame the "wrong" kind of oil if something went wrong. I've never had any consumption issues after 30k miles using syntec.

I change myself every 3k - 5k miles depending on my schedule.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Also, is it good to change the oil on this every 3000 - 3500 miles or is it safe to let it go longer? Bring the haterade!

IT LIVES AGAIN !!!!!!....

Ok, earlier in this thread there is mention of a banjo bolt filter...a very small filter that can get clogged by coal or what ever particulate that might make it’s way through

there......because of this I change my oil religiously every 3500.....and I run synth blend......

IT LIVES AGAIN !!!!!!....

Ok, earlier in this thread there is mention of a banjo bolt filter...a very small filter that can get clogged by coal or what ever particulate that might make it’s way through

there......because of this I change my oil religiously every 3500.....and I run synth blend......

It's good to know about that filter. It's also mentioned in another thread http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61689, and I'm amazed how often there are secondary oil filters in cars that almost nobody knows of and that are causing problems later on. There are always things in cars that the designer put there and forgot to tell the workshop manual people about. Normally this is a minor problem, but when it comes to lubrication it can get really bad.

453747.png

true i did the same thing and it burned all 4 quartes in like 2k so i just check it everytime i get gas because i like synthetic better but blend isn't ball at all

I might go full synth……but I had some consumption issues earlier in the game....

BTW nice ride....bigger pic please?

It's good to know about that filter. It's also mentioned in another thread http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61689, and I'm amazed how often there are secondary oil filters in cars that almost nobody knows of and that are causing problems later on. There are always things in cars that the designer put there and forgot to tell the workshop manual people about. Normally this is a minor problem, but when it comes to lubrication it can get really bad.

Could I just have the Stealer change the banjo bolt filter, since he is doing the oil change?

• 1 month later...
found this thread searching for oil consumption.....Well anyhow, I changed my oil with Royal Purple 5w30 fully synthetic about 700 miles ago. Granted the car sat for a month, but still. I added a quart on Saturday to be on the safe side. So today, I went to check it and its on the end of the dipstick. I know I have a heavily modified car and all, but what could be the reason for it burning oil the way it is??? The only thing I also want to say is that it had Penzoil Platinum 5w30 before for pretty much the longevity of the car (according to Wukindada). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Remove the intercooler and see how much oil is there. Some will be there, but shouldn't be much.

Otherwise if there are no external leaks:

1) turbo dumping oil to the exahaust - unlikely, you would see blue smoke

2) blow-by due bad rings and/or cracked ringlands (likely ringlands)

I am afraid it's (2). Hello new bottom end. Do compression test and leak down test to check.

Archived