LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First, I am going to put a stock thermostat back in there and change the oil with 10W40. I will go from there.

There will be change with 10W40, but not much. It's just masking the problem. If not driven overly hard even a thin 5w30 should not burn at all. Pennzoil Platinum is a very good oil, resistant to fuel dilution, so it really should not burn.

Do the test. If you get this kind of consumption and you have no leaks or blue smoke (and no oil in the intake), I'd bet my money on your short block going.

Sorry to hear about this. Looks like there is more bad news about this car and my explain why it's been changing hands so quickly.

found this thread searching for oil consumption.....Well anyhow, I changed my oil with Royal Purple 5w30 fully synthetic about 700 miles ago. Granted the car sat for a month, but still. I added a quart on Saturday to be on the safe side. So today, I went to check it and its on the end of the dipstick. I know I have a heavily modified car and all, but what could be the reason for it burning oil the way it is??? The only thing I also want to say is that it had Penzoil Platinum 5w30 before for pretty much the longevity of the car (according to Wukindada). Any thoughts or suggestions?

how much oil are u going through ?

We fully stock and and use Royal Purple at work for requested synthetic changes. IMO the only good synthetic out there. No, I am not running it... I only have 3k on the car and (Subaru is paying for my oil changes at the moment). My STI on the other hand it saw nothing but Royal Purple and never burned a drop. Just my $.02

-Jason

Avondale Subaru Sales

Well my car sat for a month waiting on the IPT transmission to be built. But between the last time I changed the oil, I have driven for700-800 miles. It has easily burned 1 quart-1.5 quarts of the Royal Purple 5w30

oh wow.....can't help ya there......

after reading this im going to go check my oil level and go for a drive! I had synthetic put in at the valvoline place (had just gotten the car and was at school so didnt have tools or place to do it outside in the winter here in RI) But im doing the 30,000 mile service myself next week. After reading through here I think im going to go to a synthetic blend...

was a half quart low, valvoline has free top offs so i had them top it off for me. Have gone 2000 miles since the oil change is that bad? When i change myself next week i think im going to switch to castrol synthetic blend 5w30. Thats a good weight for new england right?

Synthetic blend is a waste of $$$, you don't get the benefit of a synth oil.

If you are driving your car properly, 2,000 miles per quart is fine. Anyone who gets over 3k miles per quart should have bought a 2.5i and joined AARP.

Ron

We fully stock and and use Royal Purple at work for requested synthetic changes. IMO the only good synthetic out there. No, I am not running it... I only have 3k on the car and (Subaru is paying for my oil changes at the moment). My STI on the other hand it saw nothing but Royal Purple and never burned a drop. Just my $.02

-Jason

Avondale Subaru Sales

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you are driving your car properly, 2,000 miles per quart is fine. Anyone who gets over 3k miles per quart should have bought a 2.5i and joined AARP.

why not? Its not the money just seemed as though a blend would burn less from what people say...

And you still perpetuating this bullshit. Properly working and broken in Suby engine, shouldn't be using more than half quart per 5-6k miles. Every engine uses oil by design, slightly more so in forced induction engine.

You've bragged how you stupidly beat on the motor when new, not a surprise it takes 1 qt / 2k miles. While "it's passable" and your motor may last a while, does not mean it's good. You either have poor rings seal, or hairline cracks in the piston ringlands.

One could be surprised how long these motors can last with busted pistons and make full power at the same time.

Doesn't mean it's "normal".

im going to get flamed for it but im doing my oil every 5,000 miles. so ill have to keep an eye out for oil levels, do it ever 500 or 1000 miles or something

I kinda do the same...the most I have let it go was just over 6000 miles between oil changes. Dealer puts in the semi-synth oil and I drive pretty easy...monitor my oil consumption and there is always oil on the stick. I keep driving and driving...just turned 48000 miles on the Odo the other day.

I drive like a bat out of hell...so I keep an eye on my oil....and I drive my truck more often to keep my arse out of jail...:redface:

I use a brick instead of your truck...

brick = 1985 Volvo 240GL

I kinda do the same...the most I have let it go was just over 6000 miles between oil changes. Dealer puts in the semi-synth oil and I drive pretty easy...monitor my oil consumption and there is always oil on the stick. I keep driving and driving...just turned 48000 miles on the Odo the other day.

yeah i have as my father always have run dyno oil at 5000 miles between changes without an issue in the past. figured synthetic blend is a step up. I always run 93 in it since theres no 91 around here anyways and even if there is there are stations selling 93 for cheaper. up here in RI at school the stop and shop has 93 for $3.25 with a stop and shop card so im happy with that :spin:

My father had a Dodge Dynasty that he ran with that oil setup for 275,000 miles without a problem. he donated it to good will and drove it right in. Was funny cause he's in sales and at the time was a sales manager. His salesman were driving 5 series BMWs but he figured the car was clean as could be and he just kept racking up the miles so he drove it and drove it and drove it... over 200,000 it burned a little oil he put in about a quart a month but that was just rings. Other than that it ran like a champ.

Anyone running Amsoil? That's what I use in my V6 Volkswagen GTI and my wife's V8 Mercury Mountaineer.

I recently got my Outback XT but I plan on running Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 100% synthetic.

they make great products I use them in my other toys (atvs etc) accept in my CR500 I use Klots super techniplate 2 stroke oil at 36:1 because its 80% synthetic 20% castor bean oil and I looove that smell

That thing is a brick...My mom drove one for 18years....thing wouldn't quit:rolleyes:

The Volvos are great beater cars...mine has 192,000+ miles. I have a friend who is a Volvo fanatic and helps me keep the Brick in line and functional.

I hope to keep it along time...that is until I can afford another '05 GT for play...

Archived