LegacyGT.com

Street Tuner/Access Tuner Race Discussion Thread

rao

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see. I do have a WBO2. I was just curious to see if anyone had tried CL targeting all the time. Most of my data logs have the two sensors in agreement, so long as the pressure in the manifold is low. When the exhaust pressure is high, the stock sensor reads extra rich (as expected).

My hope was that it would be possible to eliminate discontinuities when transitioning from CL to OL. I've been carefully adjusting the primary fuel maps to match the OL/CL transition points. The method works but is tedious. I was hoping to find a short cut...

• 2 weeks later...
I've found that I can get very good economy with 0 AVCS and a bunch of advance OR moderate AVCS and much less advance (~5 deg less). My running theory is that the 0 AVCS setting is self EGRing and the extra timing is needed because of the charge dilution whereas the moderate AVCS point has better VE and compression. So far the economy peak is at 6.8L/100km at 105 kph :)

Your theory is right. Some degree of retard is built in cams (I believe somebody from Cobb - Cristian maybe, was explaining how AVCS works - can't find link right now).

Bob

The best discussion about AVCS I've yet found ends here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1078290&page=12

But go to the beginning to read it all. The link above reveals what I personally came away with that I use to chase answers to my own AVCS questions.

Edmundu passed some words of wisdom to me a while back about AVCS.... To put it simply, don't spend too much time dialing it in on the dyno. You will get some gains with the first few adjustments, then the returns get smaller quickly. You can spend a lot of money on dyno time trying to get the absolute best AVCS map and find that you were chasing a shadow because you didn't account for all the confounding influences during the test. Just get it close, then back it out a little. You go downhill real fast with a little too much AVCS.

Edmundu passed some words of wisdom to me a while back about AVCS.... To put it simply, don't spend too much time dialing it in on the dyno. You will get some gains with the first few adjustments, then the returns get smaller quickly. You can spend a lot of money on dyno time trying to get the absolute best AVCS map and find that you were chasing a shadow because you didn't account for all the confounding influences during the test. Just get it close, then back it out a little. You go downhill real fast with a little too much AVCS.

It has been edmundu, almost exclusively, that has provided whatever help I've gotten so far. His input to me about AVCS was similar and coupled with what I've learned elsewhere confirms that AVCS is a tuning tree with little fruit.

I still want some of that fruit, however. :)

Yep, There is almost no real gain over the Cobb Statge 2 AVCS tables.

No one asked me, I could have saved you some trouble, if you would have believed me :lol:

Well, like I said, for however well I have done in the past, shortly I will have some serious tuning to do. With a new AVO turbo, and new injectors and pump coming, things get more serious. I have a lot to learn in the next few weeks and any help would be appreciated.

ST already has some words on the Deatschwerks, but I'm sure individual experiences flesh them out. Otherwise I have no idea what to do about a pump, if anything, and most certainly not a turbo. I have a lot of reading to do.

My VF40 has given its all. Reinforcements are on the way.

I'm listening......

It has been edmundu, almost exclusively, that has provided whatever help I've gotten so far. His input to me about AVCS was similar and coupled with what I've learned elsewhere confirms that AVCS is a tuning tree with little fruit.

I still want some of that fruit, however. :)

I was told by Edmundu that cranking the AVCS table up to 40 in all load cells above about 1.8g (except the bottom row) is what was done when he was on the dyno to help get a couple hundred rpm of spool out of it.

I tried that and it worked.

Since then I have tweaked things a bit. It definitely has helped, vs what COBB stage2 AVCS are.

Have you guys read this thread from enginuity? It seems to show the possibility for significant gains with high AVCS values before and during initial turbo spool.

(enginuity site not working for me now, I will post up link later)

wow, that's a lot of AVCS. On the dyno I found that you could spool sooner with high avcs but there was a point where you were making less torque. the boost pressure would come up quickly but there was no flow, I'm guessing that the excessive overlap was exposing the intake to the exhaust backpressure.

This was the thread:

http://www.enginuity.org/viewtopic.php?p=12254#12254

There is a definite limit to what AVCS can do, too much hurts air-flow, although it causes higher boost to increased back pressure in the system.

If you look at edmundu's dyno charts you will see he made more power (not necessarily more boost) with higher advanced AVCS at lower rpm.

My current tune (as done by my tuner) has the stock AVCS table settings. I'm not about to try and get the most out of this table, but would like to just take the Cobb Stage 2 settings and apply them to my map. Is this a good idea seeing how I've got an upgraded turbo and other goodies or just plain stupid?

Dave

________

Bmw M88

Edited by Legacy_GT_Pilot

My current tune (as done by my tuner) has the stock AVCS table settings. I'm not about to try and get the most out of this table, but would like to just take the Cobb Stage 2 settings and apply them to my map. Is this a good idea seeing how I've got an upgraded turbo and other goodies or just plain stupid?

Dave

Really it depends on what the tuner did with the Primary Ign tables in the affected cells. Generally speaking, you need LESS timing if you add AVCS timing in. It is something you can add upon little by little to see when you need to make adjustments, or just leave it alone.....especially with anything smaller than a 20g turbo. Even then there aren't that many gains to be had.

bump for Edmunds comments.

Yes, I did crank my AVCS to 40 from 1.2 load & up across the board up til the 3.6k area, then it was stepped down to zero. It did create more trq about 200 rpm earlier than my previous AVCS which was a little above the Cobb values. On the dyno, it doesn't generate the same amount of load seen on the real pavement, and especially with these bigger turbo's.

On my way home that night, I started getting that dreaded driveline shudder in 4-5th gears, under heavy load in the 2.9-3.7k rpm band. I started dropping AVCS timing a little at a time, til it resolved it completely! I think my avcs peaks somewhere around 32, and tapers to 0. I rather lose a bit of trq, then to find out just how much trq that driveshaft carrier can handle;).

Like it has been said, there are some gains to be had, but it isn't all that much, and you needn't spend a ton of time on it. Perfect your fuel/timing/boost curves instead.

does anyone actually know the limit of cam advance possible using the USDM cam setup? boostsr20 had 38 degrees of AVCS and I was under the impression (as were a lot of people in that enginuity thread) that ~30 was the max our cam gears could do

Just to clarify, thats what TDC had the map set for. I didn't datalog it that high. I have it dropped back significanly now.

I have mine set at 30 with logs indicating that they top out at 31 sometimes. I have not tried setting it higer than that. I think LBGT mentioned something in the 40's.

I have logged 46 degrees advance.

• 2 weeks later...