LegacyGT.com

Street Tuner/Access Tuner Race Discussion Thread

rao

Yup, I plan to re-install the stock intake. I have the flow test page from DW and a calculated base number for the injector scaling(3563-ish) and they are modified stockers so the latency should remain the same as or close to stock. I guess I'll just have to get up early tomorrow and just do it. Hopefully, it will let me change that injector scaler number upfront without too much hassle. Other than that, I think I have the rest covered for the moment.
Let's kick this pig!

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, I plan to re-install the stock intake. I have the flow test page from DW and a calculated base number for the injector scaling(3563-ish) and they are modified stockers so the latency should remain the same as or close to stock. I guess I'll just have to get up early tomorrow and just do it. Hopefully, it will let me change that injector scaler number upfront without too much hassle. Other than that, I think I have the rest covered for the moment.

FWIW, my DW740's are scaled to 3654.

Only Tip In and FIBET are base map only tables, that you can deal with later. You can adjust scale, etc., in the RT tables and install your RT, revised separately from the Base Map, after the Base Map is first installed. You never need start the car of course until both maps are loaded.

To keep within the memory restrictions of my APv1 I have had to keep the changes in the Base Map to the barest minimum. Things like rescaling your fuel and timing maps are necessary, but actual fuel or timing data is not. And so forth.

That's it 3654. Thanks. Sorry it's not memorized yet, I have it saved in the calibration spreadsheet and saw it in one of the dw740 threads. I think I just have a little info overload at the moment. I've been cramming tuning info for a month and it's kinda like it's finals week and tomorrow is the exam:lol:.

I pretty much just want to make sure the car will start, run and drive on the Base map just in case anything happened to wipe my RT map unexpectedly. I try to keep my AP with me, but it does get left home once in a while.

Let's kick this pig!

I was not able to rescale any maps and keep it within the size limitation. I did only tip in and any necessary base map changes and left everything else in the rt

Unfortunately, without changing, at a minimum, Primary Fuel and Timing and DA scale values one cannot tune for a larger turbo, nor a highly tuned VF40 for that matter. Scale values are only saved in the base map.

As I developed my tune I found some things were mandatory in a Base Map and some things were not. Scale values are. Tip in is another as well as FIBET. Luckily, Cobb's 1.16 starts with many of the base map values I could live with. Over time I would attempt to change a value just to see how it affected memory restraints, learning what could be changed after the mandatory items were attended to.

I found it best, though time consuming, to start with a fresh copy of my Cobb ST format 1.16, address load scales, CEL toggles, and other must-have base map changes.... then experiment with what other changes I'd LIKE to have one by one, saving the map incrementally so I'd know how close to the edge I was getting. Not everything affects memory the same.

I was going to start down the ST path today, but I've got other things that came up and the wife needs to drive the LGT to work Monday so I'll probably hold off unitl next weekend to start re-building.
Let's kick this pig!

Unfortunately, without changing, at a minimum, Primary Fuel and Timing and DA scale values one cannot tune for a larger turbo, nor a highly tuned VF40 for that matter. Scale values are only saved in the base map.

That's interesting, as I did not experience any problems using rescaled rt maps.

Cobb's explanation to me was that any RT maps that were redundancies of base maps would override the base map unless the ecu was reset, at which point the rt would have to be reloaded.

guysi keep getting this error w/ my ecu flash

[17:30:57.483] Using interface OpenPort 1.3 Subaru TX488tqb5e8974d56e6eed06ba43468cd8ba7fe6a82019a1 [17:30:57.483] interface close

[17:30:57.491] unable to connect to vehicle interface.

[17:30:57.491] interface close

any remedies?

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

If you do what Tristan said, which is to start w/ a stock map and modify it (base), you won't have memory issues. I can get everything I want changed in a Base map, but some things I like modifying w/ the RT map, so that is where I do it...
:spin:

A theory I use take it with a grain of salt:

Put into the BM a tune that you can drive any time any place, 0 WGDC, very rich, scaled injectors, etc. Then put the fun tune into the RT. This way if shit goes sideways you can revert to the BM and make it home.

you can also use the open source tools to dump the Cobb base map, alter it and reload it. You don't run into base map size limitations this way. you just need to keep track of what you've altered so the ST representation is consistent with what is actually is on your ECU.

Also, there are some very useful settings which are not available through ST. The TD integration limit is one and the rev limit fuel resume pressure is the other (off the top of my head).

Alright guys one last question before I get started tuning this weekend. About how much time should I set aside to get the initial scaling done and have a "drivable" vehicle that will make it around the mile to drop kids off at school?
Let's kick this pig!

As little as 45 mins, The map can be build prior, its just a mater of flashing the car.

3-4hrs if you need to un-install the AP, setup ST, setup the laptop, find USB->serial adapters that actually work :rolleyes: (hint: get a piar they have to be the same for the WB02 :mad:), etc.

You can also just load the Stage II tune that Cobb gives you on thier website. We arnt talking scalling injectors or anything yet so its not hard. Like I said befor eI would set WGDC on the BM to zero log that and then load the RT StII map.

Cool. That's what I was looking for. I will need to do the entire divorce and re-marry procedure and start from scratch. I've got my wideband installed and working. It logs fine/consistantly with romraider, so I have all the ports configured and it should be ready to go. I've got the AP cable on port 9 and my WBO2 is port 4.

I'll have to do some injector scaling for my DW740's. I will put the stock intake back on for a little bit so I don't have to mess with both injectors and intake right off. I just want to make sure that I will be able to putt around the mile by Monday. I will probably start the install process Friday night and see how far I get and then start dialing things in Saturday morning.

Let's kick this pig!

I would suggest getting the ST up and running then doing the injectors another time. Its a lot to take on at first. I did the ST played with it got comfortable for a few weeks then did the turbo, injectors, etc.

That's what I was wondering. I will have to use one of their basemaps just to get things married and started, then do the scaling and re-save as a base and then re-flash and start tuning in RT right?
Let's kick this pig!

You need to "associate" the ST with the car this is 1 BM flash. You then need to make another BM on your computer (scale the injectors here) and transfer it to the AP and flash the car again. I would turn the car on inbetween the flashes..it will run like shit...and make sure you have a strong battery.

All this is from memory and its been 2 years...someone correct me if im worng.

That's kinda what I gathered from all the documentation. You have to get the car, ST and the AP on the same page with the first BM flash, then do some "offline" adjustments and flash my "working BM" again. I'm sure it will all go alright once I get started, I'm just trying to prepare myself for a bit of a learning curve and a long day.

I've got a nice variable charger that should help keep the battery alive while the AP takes it's sweet azz time flashing. Sorry for all the dumb questions and thanks for your input. It's just one hell of a leap of faith to scrap my working map and start from scratch on my own first tune:redface:. Believe me, I'm not young or dumb; this is just new territory for me.

Let's kick this pig!

That's kinda what I gathered from all the documentation. You have to get the car, ST and the AP on the same page with the first BM flash, then do some "offline" adjustments and flash my "working BM" again. I'm sure it will all go alright once I get started, I'm just trying to prepare myself for a bit of a learning curve and a long day.

I've got a nice variable charger that should help keep the battery alive while the AP takes it's sweet azz time flashing. Sorry for all the dumb questions and thanks for your input. It's just one hell of a leap of faith to scrap my working map and start from scratch on my own first tune:redface:. Believe me, I'm not young or dumb; this is just new territory for me.

Its cool it was a PITA when I did it and im young and stupid :redface:

Keep this handy -> http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do they pick you up :lol::lol:

Its cool it was a PITA when I did it and im young and stupid :redface:

Keep this handy -> http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do they pick you up :lol::lol:

Thanks, I actually might need that! If I didn't just sell my Jeep I'd have an extra car sitting here so I'd have all the time in the world to get the LGT moving. As things sit right now; I pretty much gotta get it at least drivable over a weekend.

Let's kick this pig!

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. so I finally decided to do the ST-A install last night. It all went pretty smooth except for when I re-installed the stock intake. My AEM CAI adjusted map did not like it at all. I had to pump/feather the gas to get it pulled 10 feet into the garage for the night.

I did the un-marry, ST-A'd the AP married it back up with the "05 LGT 5MT update". I then went in and edited a Cobb Stg2/91 base map(running 93oct fuel) with my injector scaling, FIBET and latency values. I then went out and refalshed the base again without having started the car. So I guess I got my answer. Yes, you can edit a BaseMap before you start the car and then flash it so scaling is close for the first time the car is started. I just made sure to shut the car off and turn it back on with the test connectors un-hooked between flashes.

I was thouroughly amazed when it actually fired right up(12:30 a.m.) and idled pretty smooth:). I haven't done anything more than that yet, but I'll be dialing in the fuel injectors and intake later today. Hopefully I'll have some logs to look at here shortly. I haven't hooked the laptop up to the car yet, so I'm sure I'll have a few questions when I do.

Let's kick this pig!

Here is my first 3rd gear log after installing ST-A. This is on a OTS Cobb Stg2 Basemap that has been adjusted for DW740cc injectors. Nothing else has been changed in the map other than Injector Scaling, Latency and a little Intake Calibration at idle. My fuel trims are hanging stable between +/-3%.

Here is the short list of my installed power mods:

Stock Intake with OE paper filter

Perrin Turbo Inlet

GTSPEC Header/UP

AutoSpeed Catted DP

SPT CBE

I'll work on tuning for my AEM CAI and Perrin TMIC/BOV back on once I get the current setup dialed in a little better.

Again, this is my first WOT run after setting up the Cobb Stg2-91 ST Basemap for my injectors running 93oct fuel. Let me know if it looks safe to proceed so far. I know I need to look at the timing tables and I need to do something with spool up, but I just want a thumbs up from a resident expert before I proceed and make further adjustments. Thanks guys.

EDIT

Here is a link to the log files:

New logs with FB and FLC:

www.oepsp.com/Stg291_3rd_1.csv

www.oepsp.com/Stg291_3rd_2.csv

You can open it from the web or right click and save target as... then you can open it.

I can't upload any files to lgt.com right now for some reason.

Edited by qikslvr
Let's kick this pig!