LegacyGT.com

Street Tuner/Access Tuner Race Discussion Thread

rao

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Here are 2 logs. I just installed the 15psi actuator, so I set the WGDC to 0 so I did not overboost. The boost pressure is similar, maybe a little higher, than when I had the regular VF39 actuator in there with a .043 pill, and 90% WGDC. I think this is all the air this turbo will push... I expected more.

On to the Logs, the first one is running up through gears 2-3-4, and you can see that as soon as I shift to fourth, the dynamic advance goes all negative. The next one is a log only a couple seconds after the first, only I kept it in 4th gear, let the car slow down, and logged just a 4th gear pull---->notice there was no timing pulled (but I did not go quite as high in RPM as the first), there was actually advance added!

Thanks for your help!

LGT 2-3-4.pdf

LGTlog4th gear.pdf

Why not just change it to log in Standard units? Makes life a lot easier ;)

Back to the problem at hand: my car sucks, its probably my fault because I was logging in Bar, and it would all go away if I was logging in psi.:)

That's sounds about right :)

Something is very wrong, that much we know for sure. Have you altered the dynamic advance table? Note that the Dynamic advance is falling through 3rd gear, maybe you should test your thermocouple ;) The most obvious cause is that the charge is being heated too much.

RC0032

Load is relative people....

MAF g/s)/rpm*60=Load, therefore, it is dependent on your MAF calibrations. If you have other than stock MAF calibrations, i.e., aftermarket intake or altered stock, your 'load' will reflect those variations.

It is my opinion that so-called 'tunes' for some CAI systems are actually marketing tools in that they have arbitrary OL MAF changes that artificially inflate "Load" numbers, leading people to believe they have gotten MORE POWER from said intake and tune when in fact they have not. Later, these skewed calibrations will come back to bite.

Another $0.02 fare for the train to perdition :)

That's sounds about right :)

Something is very wrong, that much we know for sure. Have you altered the dynamic advance table? Note that the Dynamic advance is falling through 3rd gear, maybe you should test your thermocouple ;) The most obvious cause is that the charge is being heated too much.

I have a stock intake, I have not altered any of the maps from the Cobb stage 2 91 octane map, except for the WGDC and I richened up the fuel at 2.5 load and higher.

I've been tuning for the past few weeks with ST, and I've got a few questions, would appreciate it if you guys can help out.

Car: 2005 LGT M/T, VF39 with LGT fitment and Perrin LGT TMIC. HFC in the COBB downpipe, SPT exhaust.

1) With my VF39, I can't get the boost higher than 17.5psi tapering to 16psi, even taking the WGDC's up to 95 percent, and making the bleeder (pill) smaller. I have a 15psi actuator I am going to try next, but I think I have seen people tuned to 20 psi on a stock VF39 actuator.

I would suggest you run an EBCS that is a 3-port so you can use it in interrupt mode, something like the Prodrive EBCS.

2) For ignition tables I'm running Cobb stg 2 91 oct tables, but I Always run 93 octane fuel. I see a good amount of dynamic advance added in first, second, and third gears, but then as soon as I shift to fourth, I see 5.5-7 degrees of timing removed!!!, even on cool days (shown as negative number). So my log goes from dynamic advance added in the top of third gear, to retarded only 0.2 seconds later. Anybody else ever have this and what do you think the issue is? Did the ECU see some knock during the shift to fourth? It happens every time. thanks!

I have noticed that if you shift too quickly the ECU removes timing. I know of a very predominant tuner running a very high HP Subaru who insists that shifting slowly gives him the best ET. Whenever he tries to shift quickly the car slows down.

Take care,

Christian.

As much as I don't like that answer Christian, it makes a lot of sense as to what I am seeing. The 3-4 shift is the easiest one to execute quickly, so quickly, it seems, that the Subaru ECU gets pissed off. I will log again tonight with more civilized shifting.

If you are still tuned in, what is target boost for a Cobb stage 2 WRX STi? XX tapering to XX ? And how much base timing at 2.5 load and 6000 RPM?

thanks for chiming in!

As much as I don't like that answer Christian, it makes a lot of sense as to what I am seeing. The 3-4 shift is the easiest one to execute quickly, so quickly, it seems, that the Subaru ECU gets pissed off. I will log again tonight with more civilized shifting. If you are still tuned in, what is target boost for a Cobb stage 2 WRX STi? XX tapering to XX ? And how much base timing at 2.5 load and 6000 RPM? thanks for chiming in!

You have to remember that the stock ECU is an ECU which was engineered for emissions regulations, street driving, etc. The stock ECU is not a motorsports ECU and your engine cannot easily handle the environment of serious racing, so we have to work within certain parameters. As far as how much boost, the best place to look for that information is to review our map notes which can be found from this link. Remember that vehicles will target certain boost levels because their intercooler system is capable of dissipating the heat generated by the turbo as to where the LGT intercooler is a compromised set-up IMO. As far as how much ignition advance...it all depends on how much engine load is being generated. Please take into account that the engine load calculations of the LGT are entirely different that the STi and that it is my opinion that the stock LGT load (fuel & ignition) calculations are a little off when trying to compare apples to oranges.

Take care,

Christian.

Why not try a log in 4th gear from the beginning? That will tell you quickly if it is the shift that is causing the problem.

I did log a 4th gear roll-on back in post #227. Maybe you did not understand because it spoke metric....:rolleyes:

I made about 3 runs yesterday using a more sedate 3-4 shift, and no more pulled timing!!! YAY!

Moral of the story: shift slower to go faster.

Thanks!