LegacyGT.com

New 08 Legacy Pics!!

gibjer

Or cost efficent. Subaru is all about passing on savings to the customer, hence why some foresters and outbacks are pretty much like KIA's... just barebones and ready to drive away.

Having to tell the plants to switch back over to 2.0L engine's is like injecting rat poison into your bloodstream while you're consciencely aware of you doing it. Subaru wouldn't do that because right now they're trying to maximize profit.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. Confusing is right....

Perhaps that is why the number of threads is increasing... Listing this as the 08 Legacy is true, but perhaps misleading, as Japan, Australia, and Europe are getting this as MY07. We assume that we will be getting this re-fresh as a MY08 in North America.

Perhaps some thread name revision and or thread merging might aid any confusion on this forum...

My question to FHI and SOA, is why the hell can't they update the Legacy and Outback all at once, in one model year, instead of having to adapt to a year-delayed US Market car. How much more cost does that introduce?

I am not really complaining. I am not completely sold on the refresh, but not horrified by it either, I just wonder why they play this year-long-delay game.

What will tork me off, though is if the new cool Newport Blue Pearl Legacy only comes with the Taupe interior in the US market, after seeing so many JDM pics of NBP Legacys with black interiors... regardless of the rest of the detail updates in japan/ROW.

My question to FHI and SOA, is why the hell can't they update the Legacy and Outback all at once, in one model year, instead of having to adapt to a year-delayed US Market car. How much more cost does that introduce?

I think it makes more sense US is a pretty big market for them, might as well work out the gremlins elsewhere then move the designs that make sense to the US. I'm glad we don't have the 2.0 engines here... less power potential! Besides most Japanese companies release their products in Japan first (electronics/autos/etc).

As for parts there's less issue if there's 1st year part supply problem and they can clean out the old stockpile of parts. Just look at supply problems for electronics like the PS2 or Xbox/360.

From edmunds..

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115497

Accordng to this, these are the 07s outside North America!!!!!!!

fixed. ;)

"The SI-Drive system is available on 2.0-liter turbo and 3.0-liter models."

^ this alone is enough to tell that they are confused.

just wait one more year. ;)

This Space For Rent

I think it makes more sense US is a pretty big market for them, might as well work out the gremlins elsewhere then move the designs that make sense to the US. I'm glad we don't have the 2.0 engines here... less power potential! Besides most Japanese companies release their products in Japan first (electronics/autos/etc).

As for parts there's less issue if there's 1st year part supply problem and they can clean out the old stockpile of parts. Just look at supply problems for electronics like the PS2 or Xbox/360.

You took the words and the example right out of my mouth...

After owning many cars in their first model year (grant it this is a refresh) and dealing with those nasty gremlins that a first model year brings I am willing to wait...

I might just wait for the first 08 used one to show up on a lot and let one of you guys eat the deprication for me:icon_bigg but my early adopter personality will likely come out and ruin that fiscally responsible notion. :rolleyes:

most likely my game plan is a blue/silver w/ black leather LegacyGT Spec B wagon for the wifey. Trading in the '05 RS wagon we've got now and getting that would be pure sex.

Can't wait to see what SOA has to say about the options we'll be getting.

The US is a big market, but the entire rest of the world outside of north america isn't just peanuts.

The engines didn't change with the bodystyle upgrade, and the 2.0T Twin-scroll doesn't pass emissions in the US, anyway...

The Electronics ARE changing for 07 in the US. We are getting the updated stereo with Sat and Aux. We ARE getting SI Drive in all Turbo'd Legacys/OBXT. Electronics are probably more the same between 07 USDM and 07 JDM than anything else.

This isn't a "first year" situation anyway. This is a bodywork and interior re-fresh. Probably less than 15% part number changes. Maybe WAY less.

How much does SOA have to shell out to re-cast molds for the existing center console for the new stereo button arrangements, and a center console with SI-Drive, based on the current design, rather than just going with a LHD (same as continental Europe is getting) version of the new interior for Japan/ROW.

Instead of 06 -> 07 being a clean transition, SOA is having to upgrade existing interior panels (luckily that is about all) just to postpone the refresh coming here next year, again, with new interior panels... and freshened exterior that the USDM model could use. All this after getting the run around about limiting options and colors to "save manufacturing costs..." yeah, right.

Not that it is a big deal, but why not just make the transition clean, and all at once? Probably some lame bureaucratic reason, like most product planning decisions out of SOA regarding the Legacy for the last year or so.

Don't get my hopes up, please. :shakesfist:

Ditto that!

You and your spec. b assumptions had better be backed up with some seriously firm info or gargleblaster and I (and MtnSub and...) will hunt you down and do something nasty to you and your vehicle! ;)

Just kidding. I'll start working on a plan to convince the wife that's the car I was really waiting for and this one just isn't going to suffice.

Cheers!

-Ian

Goneskiian, don't shoot the mesenger.

We need to consider a serious house cleaning bomb at SOA.

Do ya think the NSA is sending this post to Condi Rice who will be reporting this to Bush friday morning? Condi looked so hot in her spike boots.

Hey NSA, I was talking about a spray insect bomb to get rid of the bean counter roaches at SOA, not a big boom hurt people bomb.

from nastycock:

My short (and not very good) translation of Subaru Japan's press release on 2.0 turbo engine changes :

* Dual AVCS and optimized cam profile for improved engine breathing, which in turn allows for trafficability and fuel efficiency to coexist.

* The shape of combustion chamber and exhaust port have been modified, as well as cooling properties of the cylinder heads to enhance combustion efficiency, which allows for improvements in trafficability, fuel consumption, and exhaust emissions.

* Use of a tumble generated valve (TGV) By controlling the opening & closing of valves, combustion efficiency at low rpm is improved as well as smoother high rpm revving - all while improving fuel efficiency and maintaining power output.

* Exhaust emmissions are reduced by use of secondary air system. During engine cooling, air is fed through the exhaust port whereby gas fumes are put through a secondary combustion.

* Modified turbocharger. The compressed air stream inside the compressor has been rectified, resulting in higher low/mid rpm torque, and improvements in fuel efficiency and power output.

* With adoption of SI-DRIVE, 3 special output characterisics are created.

* Exhaust emmissions have decreased 50% (ULEV), as compared to MY2005.

Driven the paddle shift 5EAT - quicker upshifts/downshifts, isn't too bad at all for fanging it around a track (fuji speedway). I have only one problem with it, in that it will automatically upshift now, does not hold the gear. What would happen was I'd go into the corner, flick for the upshift at exit, and it would go up *2* gears as it already knew it was going to upshift automatically, and also held my gearchange in "memory".

SI-drive is a selling point, except for the intelligent mode. Sports and Sports Sharp modes are merely on-the-fly remapping of the throttle response thanks to the drive-by-wire throttle system. Sports mode is basically the current throttle mapping (with some minor adjustments for feel, it does feel quite natural). Sports Sharp "shortens" the throttle pedal travel/response ratio, so that by the time you have pushed the throttle down about 65%, it's at full throttle.

Intelligent mode, otoh, is quite good for gas mileage, especially in traffic. I have a feeling it never goes above, say, 35% throttle opening, remapping pedal travel to that. So it does feel quite sluggish, but in return guarantees you get quite good gas mileage - Subaru was quoting about 10-14% better mileage in city, even more on the expressway. And the Automatic is now within a percentage point or two of the manual, which is a good thing. Their gas mileage estimate for a JDM 2.0-liter turbo GT was 14.8km/l, about 36mpg.

Cheers

you guys can stop bitching about poor gas mileage! :lol:

This Space For Rent

So I notice one of the interior pics doesn't have the SI-Drive...can one assume the 2.5i will not have this option?

I feel like a kid waiting for my 16th birthday I can't wait for 08!

Your forced induction envy is eating you away like the dark side of the force... "good good feel the hate flow though you"

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Does anybody have wallpaper quality (1024/1280+) sized pics of the 08, of the press pics or of those badass AVO pics of Paul and the like..
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Archived