LegacyGT.com

COVID-19 - who's got some?

DrD123

could have gotten it in the meantime. either way, sorry to hear

Is your daughter going to quarantine or go for testing?

No, she isn't consider exposed and doesn't need to, according to the school, the girl with covid is also in her class, and she does need to quarantine. Not sure for how long though.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

No, she isn't consider exposed and doesn't need to, according to the school, the girl with covid is also in her class, and she does need to quarantine. Not sure for how long though.
Positive cases require a 10 day quarantine.

Close contact and vaccinated requires no quarantine (unless symptoms).

Close contact and unvaccinated requires 14 day quarantine.

This is the state of Washington (which I believe you reside). I know this because I just had a bout of the good ol delta variant (breakthrough case-it sucked) and my son can't go to school until the 14 day quarantine period is up (not old enough for a vaccine).

Edit:

There are 2 ways to shorten the duration of quarantine (only if close contact is not a member of the household).

1. No symptoms can end after day 10 (back on day 11).

2. No symptoms and a negative PCR/molecular test can end after day 7 (back on day 8).

Edited by rhino6303

I remember getting the flu shot as a kid and still getting the flu. I was told it was "a different strain"

Am I crazy for thinking Covid is the flu strain of the year? The new delta or whatever it's called is this years version. The flu has always affected the elderly and immuno-comprimised more than anyone else.

2 weeks to flatten the curve. Millions out of jobs, thousands of small businesses closed their doors for good. If there's one thing I've learned about our government, it's always "follow the money"

Rushed FDA approval for a vaccine that hasn't gone through it's full trial, more shots are necessary because the first 2 or 3 haven't worked. Not sure when the term vaccine changed but when I was a kid, it meant the shot would prevent me from ever getting said illness.

I don't watch Fox, CNN or any other news program. I don't listen to any conservative or liberal talk shows before any of you want to come at me with the "Bet you watch X or get your info from Y".

My opinion is based on what I see going on around me. If you got the vax, good for you. If you didn't get the vax, good for you. How about we mind our own business and let people live their lives. The unvaxed are not killing the vaxed and vice versa.

You're not too far off- the yearly flu shot is a booster for the latest variants of the 1918 Spanish Flu virus. Every transmission of a virus is an opportunity to mutate, and the flu shot is based on known mutations at the time. Also, healthy folks and kids are dying from covid, too, especially the delta variant, so that "pre-existing conditions" line doesn't really work anymore.

Had we taken this seriously at the beginning, our situation would have been substantially less terrible. Instead, some of us insisted that our freedumbs were more important than the lives and livelihoods of those around us, and well, here we are.

The FDA issued emergency approval for some of the vaccines, which required clinical trials. The Pfizer vaccine has since been fully approved, following the FDA's established approval process, no shortcuts allowed. As far as multiple shots are concerned, 1) see your point above about new strains, and 2) as I understand it, the human body isn't all that great at long-term immunity to coronaviruses in general, and benefits greatly from booster shots.

Good call on avoiding Fox and CNN, but getting some form of information from a trusted source would be a good idea. AP, Reuters, NPR, etc.- primary sources would be even better. Not saying this as a personal attack, but it seems as though some of your opinions could stand to be influenced by facts, rather than by what you see around you.

As far as your last point, that's the crux of the problem. The reason for the whole "flatten the curve" thing was to keep our healthcare infrastructure from being overwhelmed. Right now, 99% (give or take a couple tenths) of covid patients in ICU beds are unvaccinated, and ICUs are full. Around me (about 5 minutes outside of rural NE WI), for example, there are about 2 available ICU beds (was actually 2 about a week ago, I'm sure that's changed)- covid has had a fairly minimal impact around here, too, so I'd imagine that areas that are being hit harder are in worse shape. If I were to have a heart attack or take my leg off with a chainsaw or something, they'd probably have put me in a helicopter and hope I survive the flight to Madison, because there's no room to treat me here. Hospitals nationwide are packed to the gills with anti-vaxxers, and their selfishness and/or willful ignorance is killing people. If they were just killing themselves, I'd be willing to live and let die, but they're not.

Hospitals are definitely taking it on the chin around here, too - however, they've been running lean on beds for many years (I have a special needs kiddo who ends up in the ER every now and then and we would run into "no beds" at some of the hospitals long before COVID was a thing - now that it's here, it's just a disaster because the system can't handle it.)

I can't see COVID going away anytime soon - or ever, really... - I imagine with time, the impact on people will be much the same as the flu now. Recall (well - none of us are that old, I suppose, so read, i guess!) how horrible that was when influenza first showed up - the first time a new aggressive virus hits the population, it's a mess until those predisposed to have issues with it are gone... sucks, but it is what it is.

The Corona won't go away, it will just cull the herd of those that have a genetic combination not able to cope with the Corona.

Happens already with young people passing and that's what's called natural selection. Same thing as the Spanish Flu (that from what I have understood actually originated elsewhere) and killed off a huge amount of younger people.

You can't be careful enough when picking your parents.

453747.png

Am I crazy for thinking Covid is the flu strain of the year?

COVID-19 is not "just like the flu." It may be just as communicable, but it is far more virulent. See the illustration below (COVID-19 data from spring 2020).

Not sure when the term vaccine changed but when I was a kid, it meant the shot would prevent me from ever getting said illness.
Not true. Vaccinations for some diseases do provide long-term (not necessarily lifetime) protection, but some (e.g. tetanus) do not, and have always required periodic boosters every few years to maintain immunity.

COVID-19.thumb.png.1764af5afba0d908ebed209a1ab96127.png

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

... Spanish Flu (that from what I have understood actually originated elsewhere) ...

The epicenter of the 1918 "Spanish Flu" pandemic was Fort Riley, Kansas, and the nearby town of Manhattan, KS. From its start, the Spanish Flu was a "bird flu," spread worldwide primarily by migratory waterfowl (and traveling humans). Thematic maps tracing the early history of the 1918 pandemic in North America are an almost perfect overlay of the seasonal bird migration flyways along the Mississippi, Missouri, and Ohio River watersheds.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Genuine question: Are hospitals not usually attempting to work to maximum capacity?

It just seems appropriate for business. After all, they are just as much in the business of making money and helping people, as restaurants are. Granted, there services are different, but don't restaurants want to operate at maximum capacity, given they have the waiters/waitresses/seating to handle the crowd?

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Genuine question: Are hospitals not usually attempting to work to maximum capacity?

It just seems appropriate for business. After all, they are just as much in the business of making money and helping people, as restaurants are. Granted, there services are different, but don't restaurants want to operate at maximum capacity, given they have the waiters/waitresses/seating to handle the crowd?

No offense, but that seems a particularly poor analogy. Restaurant's primary goal is to make money. The business in not 24/7. The service staff typically have a financial incentive (tips) and usually don't have a concern their clients suffer/die, so likely less stress than health care workers. Clients typically can make a reservation and don't have an obligation for emergency services, so if the restaurant is 'booked' the clients aren't likely to perish or suffer while attempting to make 'other arrangements...' and beyond clients wearing masks, restaurants don't have infectious disease concerns that hospitals have...but, I could be wrong.

No offense, but that seems a particularly poor analogy. Restaurant's primary goal is to make money. The business in not 24/7. The service staff typically have a financial incentive (tips) and usually don't have a concern their clients suffer/die, so likely less stress than health care workers. Clients typically can make a reservation and don't have an obligation for emergency services, so if the restaurant is 'booked' the clients aren't likely to perish or suffer while attempting to make 'other arrangements...' and beyond clients wearing masks, restaurants don't have infectious disease concerns that hospitals have...but, I could be wrong.

None taken. Again genuine question. All productive responses welcome.

Despite the service staff's incentive for operating at said place of business, what is the owner's incentive? Generally speaking, someone who works at a hospital cares about the livelihood and health of those they are directly in contact with vs. a waiter who serves guests at a restaurant.

Perhaps the hospital owner started his business to help a different set of needs to his community, than the restaurant owner, but both are more than likely attempting to make money while doing so with the obligation of providing the services they have promised to paying customers.

It's not the catalyst of which causes the "no beds" issue that I'm asking about. It's the principle of occupancy that I'm asking about. Highly unlikely, but let's say the local hospital had a massive influx of blunt force trauma or penetrating trauma type victims -- enough to occupy all of the ICU rooms. And the next guy who needed an ICU room, for whatever reason, walked in. I assume he wouldn't be seen to because of the issue of maximum capacity, so he would be sent to the next nearest hospital that could see to his needs, unless he were willing to wait for an ICU room to become available (unlikely).

Same as you have to decide if you were to entertain the 1hr long wait at a restaurant or drive down the street and try another. Thoughts?

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Occupancy depends on a number of factors. The local population, the services offered, the capabilities, esp., emergency, surgical, trauma, etc. Many hospitals are state owned, or at least not established of private enterprise. And those that are religious-based institutions. All the NYC Health and Hospital owned facilities are examples. And in upstate NY there are rural hospitals with literally nothing near the needy at ready and safe distance for their emergent needs when already occupied by COVID sufferers. Thereby, appropriate equipment and support staff are relevant. I can’t breathe versus we’re out of the veal seems an inappropriate comparison. I am enjoying the debate, however, FM… As they say in the PA, apples and dump trucks. Edited by HDTurbo

No, Vaccinated People Are Not ‘Just as Likely’ to Spread the Coronavirus as Unvaccinated People

For many fully vaccinated Americans, the Delta surge spoiled what should’ve been a glorious summer. Those who had cast their masks aside months ago were asked to dust them off. Many are still taking no chances. Some have even returned to all the same precautions they took before getting their shots, including avoiding the company of other fully vaccinated people.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/the-vaccinated-arent-just-as-likely-to-spread-covid/620161/

453747.png

I'd like to see the real time numbers of the overwhelmed hospitals. Not saying it's a lie but at the height of covid, our local, level 1 trauma hospital was empty. 2/11 ventilators were in use. It was actually the best time to break your leg. A normal 8-9 hour wait was down to 30 min- 1 hour.

Shall we look at Israel and say if the vaccine works, why are they having issues? Let me guess....it's the unvaccinated causing all the problems? All medicine goes through clinical trials, except you are the trial for the covid vax. Last I read, Pfizer's trials do not end until 8/2023. If it's so safe, why are the drug companies not being held responsible if something goes wrong? Meanwhile, other drug companies are in court fighting over the opioid crisis and being held responsible for people's drug problems that they did not directly sell to the junkies.

I'd like to see the real time numbers of the overwhelmed hospitals.

Something tells me that if someone presented real time numbers to you that didn't mesh with your preconceived notions, you'd just dismiss them as fake news.

Even the Atlantic reported the actual number of Deaths related to Covid is about half of the CDC's total. The Atlantic is the exact opposite of a conservative site.

... at the height of covid, our local, level 1 trauma hospital was empty. 2/11 ventilators were in use.

Source? Context? Even if true, one data point does not refute the broader trend.

Note: If you can't (or won't) cite primary sources to substantiate claims like this, I'm going to start referring you to the PA, which is where posts like these belong.

All medicine goes through clinical trials, except you are the trial for the covid vax. Last I read, Pfizer's trials do not end until 8/2023.
At this point, the Pfizer vaccine has undergone the full standard sequence of "clinical trial" protocols, and has been approved for use (in the U.S.) for people age 12 and older. It is not "experimental." As is common with new vaccines, follow-up studies continue, in an effort to quantify the gradual loss of effectiveness with time and to identify any long-term effects (good or bad) of the vaccine. Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

Can you post a link for that?

And just like that, it disappeared itself. This exactly why Journalists, even left leaning ones, are getting pretty pissed off that they can't do their jobs anymore. Censorship sucks.