LegacyGT.com

COVID-19 - who's got some?

DrD123

The best and worst part about the internet is that anyone can use it. Makes it hard to separate fact from fiction sometimes, especially for folks who may have grown up in a time when you had to go to the library and check out a book or read an encyclopedia to learn something, and may be wired to be a little more trusting of things they see online because of it. My first reaction to anything I read online is always to assume it's BS until I can prove otherwise, but I'm young enough to have been at the leading edge of "Wikipedia isn't a valid source" in school. I'm also old enough to have been able to get away with just referencing the sites cited on a Wikipedia page, so I'm usually good for at least one layer of source-diving...

Wikipedia isn't useless, but you'll have to distinguish between disputable 'facts' and easily checkable facts like the overall shape of a connector and images of said item.

The dilemma on some wikipedia pages is that some links get stale for various reasons.

Given the speed things changes on the internet this isn't surprising.

453747.png

The best and worst part about the internet is that anyone can use it.

Back in the early '90s I described it as "like having your own set of keys to every great library in the world, 24 hours a day." Today, unfortunately, there are also a lot of freak shows, medicine shows, and wax museums on the Internet, some of them masquerading as serious libraries.

... "Wikipedia isn't a valid source" ...
Like the paper encyclopedias I grew up devouring, Wikipedia is a good starting point. I consider Wikipedia generally superior to old-time encyclopedias in at least two ways: 1) Wikipedia entries are easily updated, so you are less likely to find obsolete information in a rapidly evolving topic. 2) Many (most?) Wikipedia entries include links to primary sources, which is useful when undertaking serious research. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The person that injected me just got over a nasty covid infection, took about 3 weeks. Sucks that it isn't more effective at actually preventing illness.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Oxford Scientists Find Gene That Doubles Risk of Dying From Covid-19

By Suzi Ring

November 4, 2021, 12:00 PM EDT

• Gene prevents the lungs from responding to the virus properly
  • About 60% of people with South Asian ancestry have gene

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-04/scientists-find-gene-that-doubles-risk-of-dying-from-covid-19

453747.png

The person that injected me just got over a nasty covid infection, took about 3 weeks. Sucks that it isn't more effective at actually preventing illness.

It could have been the difference between being ill and being dead.

Mutations of the virus and genetic predisposition are factors to consider.

453747.png

It could have been the difference between being ill and being dead.

Mutations of the virus and genetic predisposition are factors to consider.

And that's the only good thing you can say about it. So far it's junk and hasn't lived up to the hype, very disappointing because of how it was pitched in the beginning. It's also the most dangerous vaccine ever produced. I won't be a cheerleader for big pharm, neither should anyone really, not when Pfiser is guilty of human rights violations.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

If you look at human rights violations you'll get a bad time when it comes to the pharmacy industry. A lot of non-ethical behavior for most of them throughout their existence.

Just accept that they can't always deliver a perfect cure, it's the best effort that counts and as long as the cure improves the situation overall then it's worth it.

453747.png

So far [the COVID-19 vaccine is] junk ...

Source?

It's also the most dangerous vaccine ever produced.
Source?

If you can't/won't cite primary sources for claims like these, such posts are prime candidates for removal. Misinformation is potentially harmful; disinformation is purposefully harmful.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Source?

Source?

If you can't/won't cite primary sources for claims like these, such posts are prime candidates for removal. Misinformation is harmful; disinformation is purposefully harmful.

Internet research!

I am not for censorship! I am for freedoms, opinions and statements, they may not be correct or even could be misguided but censorship is wrong. It is a vital freedom.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is good for the Soul.

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Internet censorship is a really complicated thing. It’s too easy to spread misinformation now a days. This is why places that want to start new with no censorship or moderation quickly go out of business. I’m not going to get political here but you can search for the usual suspect.
---

Couple things:

1) thank you for your service.

2) you're free to say what you want, within limits- ie. can't yell "fire" in a theater, or "bomb" in an airport.

3) legacygt.com isn't in any way associated with the federal government, so 1A protections are irrelevant.

I am for freedoms, opinions and statements, they may not be correct or even could be misguided but censorship is wrong.

1) There is an important difference between an assertion of fact (e.g. "It's the most dangerous vaccine ever produced.") and an expression of personal opinion (e.g. "I think it may be the most dangerous vaccine ever produced.").

2) Even when freely expressing an opinion, you can't reasonably expect to do so without consequences ... i.e. without being challenged. Demanding substantiation for a claim or opinion is not censorship. Objective facts still matter.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

Rebuttal Yes. Challenged Yes. Censored No.

When you pull, takes down, or delete a statement, that is wrong.

Remember when the consensus that the world was flat.

Edited by Yoda_One

And is it? The ancient Greeks and Egyptians were able to figure out that the earth is round with basically just some sticks, their eyeballs, and their brains, and anyone who watched a ship's mast appear or disappear as it sailed over the horizon knew it too. Problem was, facts weren't good enough for certain people, so the general consensus was "the earth is flat, or you're a heretic- your call." Eventually, it was accepted that the earth was round, but then it was "the earth is the center of the universe, or you're a heretic."

The difference here is that throughout the course of most peoples' everyday lives, being gaslit into believing the earth is flat won't kill them (with the notable exception of that one guy who built a rocket in his backyard to try to prove it). Everyone is welcome to have whatever opinions they'd like to have, but if those opinions are objectively false and could lead to someone dying or being disabled, they should probably expect to have their opportunities to express those opinions limited. I've probably already said it in this thread, but the best explanation I ever got was this: "your rights end where my nose begins."

You may choose to give up your rights, have someone force their right upon you, but it still the one of the most basic rights. We call the latter censorship, dictatorship, monarch rule, but we are still at the present have a Constitutional Republic. As I mentioned before, I might not agree was what was said, but I will defend his right to say it.

Remember, tide flows both ways, and it could be your rights suspended.

The part you're missing is that by choosing to be unvaccinated, or choosing to spew misinformation, a person is violating those very rights of everyone they interact with. Liberty (as in "pursuit of life, liberty, and property") doesn't mean you're allowed to do whatever you want, otherwise we wouldn't have laws. It means you're allowed to do whatever you want unless it infringes upon someone else's rights to life/liberty/property. Being told that they're not allowed to tell others that horse dewormer is a viable alternative to seeing a medical professional is not a violation of a person's rights as an American citizen, because it was never within their rights to endanger others in the first place. See also: my previous comments on yelling "fire" in a movie theater, or "bomb" in an airport. Perfectly acceptable to use those words in most circumstances, and feel free to shout them at home, but intentionally doing so in a situation where it would create mass panic and could result in people being trampled? Not okay.

Also, legacygt.com is still completely unaffiliated with the United States government, and is, as such, unbound by the Constitution, and has every right to dictate what can (or cannot) be posted on the site (within the bounds of Federal law). It's not communism, or a constitutional republic, or any other form of government- it's just the terms of use.

I've been covid negative for awhile now. Still managing ~5 miles a day with the huskies and can do other things when I get home as opposed to passing out for the rest of the day. Still have lingering congestion and random breathing difficulties.

Daily checking of my pulseox numbers show Im running 94-95% instead of 98% pre-covid.

Have started adding jogging to my walk. Hoping I can increase breathing through threshold exercise. Jogging puts my heartrate near my theoretical max for the entire time.

Everyone in the family is covid negative again.

Wife & i are eligible for our 3rd pfizer shot. We'll get it.

Our medical insurance has informed us that covid infection will no longer be covered at 100% come January 1st. Guess the pandemic is over?