LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

20 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

I signed up for a Driver Skills car control clinic/Autocross through PCA for the 28th of this month. I'm looking forward to going to Bremerton Raceways with a bunch of friends and learning!

I miss the west-side autocross community. Amazing bunch of people over there. 

On 1/9/2023 at 8:46 AM, Gex said:

Took the Camel GT out to some rainy cold autoX yesterday. Really need to find out if it still has a heater core and hook it back up. Car was fogging up pretty good and it was a chilly wet drive with the windows down.  Sliding around was fun though. New Michelin PS4 did great! 

I did one autox at Evergreen under similar conditions, and swore off the whole facility. This must have been ~2015 when they were still fairly green on hosting autox, and I still had my BRZ. There was a Merkur pissing all it's oil on the already rainy track and no one was doing anything. Couple that with a very open final turn onto the straight, with a speed readout as you cross the finish line, and it was just asking for people to slam into the wall. Did a couple runs then parked it for the day. I hope they're safer these days. 

I think I've got a sticking caliper. Drove a few miles today before getting on the interstate. About 2 miles later the steering wheel starts shaking, luckily right at my exit. Swerving from side to side doesn't fix it like a wheel bearing would. Get to my stop, that wheel is emanating a lot of heat. Blegh. 

Nothing, but I finally figured out how to reset my account since the original email I had signed up with had been deactivated.. (had to endure the rigamarole of reactivating the account and all that).

Sheesh.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tehspud said:

I miss the west-side autocross community. Amazing bunch of people over there. 

You better come visit your folks for the weekend of the 28th so you have an excuse to come hang in the rain with us! I have some family coming to visit on the 20th and we'll be making it over to Spokane, hopefully.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

1 hour ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Installed Grimmspeed master brake cylinder brace. Can't wait to test drive the car.

Post your results, I am genuinely curious as I recently picked one up from a local owner who went to a VDC car, so can’t use it any more.

I haven’t found braking to be especially deficient, but some improvement in pedal feel might be nice. Briefly considered the STI BMC/booster swap, but hope this is sufficient.

• Like 1

Two recent things:

A few days ago, I 3d printed a quick & dirty phone holder.  PETG filament for heat resistance.  Even though I have an Android Auto head unit it can still be very handy to have view of the phone and have quick access to it.  These cars have nonexistent cubby/storage for misc items.  This is out of the way of hvac controls, barely blocks the vent and not affected by the passenger leg-space.

phoneholder.thumb.jpg.9e96f5d4c39cbe0141a1190cf589cb23.jpg

Then today I replaced my disintegrating leather shift knob with a cheap SSCO delrin knob from ebay.  A little larger, but I love the feel of delrin.  It has decent weight (I prefer lighter shift knobs) and won't feel scalding hot in the summer, nor uncomfortably cold in winter.  No shift pattern, though...

knob.thumb.jpg.c93d76c92594a7db4ee9b63dc3e762a9.jpg

Edited by SilentJ20
  • Like 3

On 1/9/2023 at 8:56 AM, pksystems said:

The rails and AFPR are Aeromotive.  Lines are fragola teflon lined stainless braid that I've used on my DSM and never had a leak (when it works) :)

Good to know.  Here is a Pic of an AP fuel rail and line install that went BOOM.  This is the car that had the lines melt.  Even ran as they were, they melted. 

20160419_195809.jpg

• Thanks 2

Replaced cyl.4 ignition coil. I've been dealing with a Phantom mis fire that the computer/AP wasn't picking up. Well yesterday, after a very spirited launch and run down the road with the mis firing happening the CEL and cruise FINALLY started blinking! Made it to the store, did the self diag and got P0304. Now that's been taken care of, I'm now back carefree throttle use, entire RPM band use and of course, the typical tomfoolery we all do...

• Like 4

I heard from the new owner of my wagon today, He's local and will take good care of it. He knows Subaru's. It went to a good home. He did send me a picture of it in the climate controlled garage with some of his other cars in the background.

• Like 6

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

On 1/10/2023 at 2:09 PM, tehspud said:

I did one autox at Evergreen under similar conditions, and swore off the whole facility. This must have been ~2015 when they were still fairly green on hosting autox, and I still had my BRZ. There was a Merkur pissing all it's oil on the already rainy track and no one was doing anything. Couple that with a very open final turn onto the straight, with a speed readout as you cross the finish line, and it was just asking for people to slam into the wall. Did a couple runs then parked it for the day. I hope they're safer these days. 

Nope.  Not really.  They had open drift the day before and someone knocked a hole in their oilpan and oiled down the track.  Definitely an adventure.  Last year I did one and a guy with a new GT350 put it in the wall.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

57 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

I heard from the new owner of my wagon today, He's local and will take good care of it. He knows Subaru's. It went to a good home.

Wow, you sold it?  How did you come to your decision?  I've been thinking of selling mine. I have more I want to do with it, but am not into doing anything myself on it.  Been thinking of new wrx just in terms of something that can be fun and kept stock.  

Back in Oct the tranny broke again. That was the last straw. I was kind of not wanting to drive it to VT for skiing every week. Remember, the chassis had 305,000 miles.  I now drive the 18' Outback 3.6R for my daily, the Spec is still for Friday, Saturday night's going out to eat. 

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

2 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Back in Oct the tranny broke again. That was the last straw. I was kind of not wanting to drive it to VT for skiing every week. Remember, the chassis had 305,000 miles.  I now drive the 18' Outback 3.6R for my daily, the Spec is still for Friday, Saturday night's going out to eat. 

That '18 Outback sounds like a very plush ride for those trips. How do you like that CVT? Also, don't know if you ever go to Stowe but that Smuggler's Notch area has nice roads.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

On 1/10/2023 at 6:23 PM, seanyb505 said:

I think I've got a sticking caliper. Drove a few miles today before getting on the interstate. About 2 miles later the steering wheel starts shaking, luckily right at my exit. Swerving from side to side doesn't fix it like a wheel bearing would. Get to my stop, that wheel is emanating a lot of heat. Blegh. 

Dove into the passenger caliper. Top 12mm bolt needing convincing and a wrench on the slider hex portion. (Anti Seize had been used). Top piston didn't exhibit any resistance being pushed back in, but the bottom piston had enough resistance to convince me. I had rebuilt this caliper a number of years ago, and the dust boots apparently had worked themselves loose, and apparently enough debris has entered the housing over time.

Unfortunately now isn't the budgeted time to upgrade to bling brembos. Main concern is the straightness of that rotor though. Since that's an easy enough fix I'll take it for a test drive before replacing those.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Enlight said:

That '18 Outback sounds like a very plush ride for those trips. How do you like that CVT? Also, don't know if you ever go to Stowe but that Smuggler's Notch area has nice roads.

I don't mind the CVT. I'm able to rationalize, the car is an Outback, made to be what it is. It's not a 05 Legacy GT with a vf52 tuned at 21psi. The car is great, for what it was meant to do. For years, I have told ski friends, when they ask me about what's a good car, I just say the Outback makes sense. 

Funny story, last week as I was dropping my skis off at the mt. An old buddy pulls up in a 19' Outback 3.6R. He could afford any car he wanted, but chose the Outback.  

I will say it took me a while to figure out the balance for the radio. I have the sound set to where I enjoy it after adding a little volume to it. 

I have been up to that area, in both summer and winter. I have driven over the Notch. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, I have an outback with a manual gearbox, a JMP VF52 too, which I take offroad and in the sand dunes, as well as in the snow and on super long road trip. The manual still makes sense to me :spin:

Now, suspension is JDM (bilstein BTS kit with custom rear valving and 500 lbs/in spring rate to handle heavy rear cargo, bigger tires, 1.5 inch ADF lift, bla bla bla. Still handles great in the canyon for what it is. You'd be surprised :).

Edit: actually, I have two outback with manual gearbox, but one is more like an LGT wagon (pink spring shocks, lowered and stuff).

Edit 2: in all honesty though, I would prefer an automatic for the outback we use offroad. It would avoid burning the clutch in sketchy situations, and I would be able to lock the center diff in the flick of a switch.

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Like 3

See, look. You can have fun with a manual outback :lol:

It is much steeper than it looks. And I was lazy to air down too. If you have good headphones or speaker, you'll hear the Subaru rumble goodness and flipper flapper of the wastegate :lol:

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Like 4

Changed oil and cabin air filter on it today. AA100 and Rotella T6 for oil, TYC 8005 for cabin air filter. Spent WAY TOO much time in the garage today, but it was fun, I really miss working on my car. Work/life has been crazy recently.

Dropped the engine under tray, inspected the HG and all around the engine. All looks good  - dry, grounds are good. Some rust on radiator supports, these can be replaced in the spring. Measured the 2009 STI under tray that I bought per Uncle Matt's recommendation for upcoming JDM front end swap. Looks like it should match.

Overall the engine bay is good for 244K miles.

• Like 3

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

On 1/14/2023 at 10:33 PM, SubOperator said:

Changed oil and cabin air filter on it today. AA100 and Rotella T6 for oil, TYC 8005 for cabin air filter. Spent WAY TOO much time in the garage today, but it was fun, I really miss working on my car. Work/life has been crazy recently.

Dropped the engine under tray, inspected the HG and all around the engine. All looks good  - dry, grounds are good. Some rust on radiator supports, these can be replaced in the spring. Measured the 2009 STI under tray that I bought per Uncle Matt's recommendation for upcoming JDM front end swap. Looks like it should match.

Overall the engine bay is good for 244K miles.

Any chance you’d part ways with the rusty rad supports if they’re not total junk?

One of mine collapsed from rust this summer, and I’ve got a hockey puck holding up the rad on one side…. Other one isn’t far behind. Lol!

Rust belt life means all the ones I’ve seen in scrap yards haven’t been better.

4 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Any chance you’d part ways with the rusty rad supports if they’re not total junk?

One of mine collapsed from rust this summer, and I’ve got a hockey puck holding up the rad on one side…. Other one isn’t far behind. Lol!

Rust belt life means all the ones I’ve seen in scrap yards haven’t been better.

I would have no problems giving them to you but chances are I won't be getting them off soon. Did you check if this is something that can be purchased from Subaru? Looks like this is the part # you want 45124AG01A

https://parts.parkersubaru.com/p/subaru__Legacy/Radiator-Mount-Bracket-Lower-Radiator-Mount-Bracket/49251899/45124AG01A.html

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

1 hour ago, SubOperator said:

I would have no problems giving them to you but chances are I won't be getting them off soon. Did you check if this is something that can be purchased from Subaru? Looks like this is the part # you want 45124AG01A

https://parts.parkersubaru.com/p/subaru__Legacy/Radiator-Mount-Bracket-Lower-Radiator-Mount-Bracket/49251899/45124AG01A.html

Oh for sure. I just took a look at the $120 USD cost + shipping and thought it was a little ridiculous for some folded metal and a grommet. Also, my garage project means I am broke. Like, not buying groceries kind of broke while I eat eveything I put away in my freezer this summer. 🙄

I told myself I'd make some out of stainless as soon as I had the chance..... and there is still a drilled out hockey puck holding my radiator off the support bar. (The bar is nearly as bad for rust and also has to come out.) In all seriousness, it isn't bad little mount, but it looks ghetto AF.

It just sounded like maybe you were prettying up the bay, and wanted new ones for semi-cosmetic reasons, so maybe the old ones could be salvaged. I'm in no hurry at all and may get lucky and find a set in the pick n save yard on a car that comes in that aren't completely crap before the Spring as well.

EDIT: New part doesn't come with a new grommet for that price!! 😕

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1