LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

13 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

So sorry man. So the pick up is fine but some baffle welds have failed? Is this a first? Never ever heard of failure of their parts. I also have their pick up tube (since 2013) but still oem pan.

Pickup and windage tray are good. I have no clue how the baffle could have broken but it did.

9 hours ago, rhino6303 said:

Pickup and windage tray are good. I have no clue how the baffle could have broken but it did.

I wonder if, after the new oil pan is installed, you did a couple of quick oil changes to flush the oil system ?

Worst case, the oil cooler may need replacing too ?

It will be interesting to hear what Killer B says ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

9 hours ago, rhino6303 said:

Maybe the engine was hitting just the right frequencies at certain RPMs to create some resonance which eventually did this?

I actually recall when I replaced the cracked OEM pick up on my 06, part of the OEM baffle (or some metal 'blade' within the OEM oil pan) cracked as well. I replaced the pick up with a Moroso at that time and I moved on. Engine still runs :spin: (original engine, not type RA).

Screenshot_20221010-073543.png

Edited by xt2005bonbon

On 10/8/2022 at 3:36 PM, rhino6303 said:

Well I found the source of my oil pressure loss. I messaged Killer B to ask about next steps. I hope they'll help me out. I'm really concerned at this point of losing my engine at this point. I'll change oil frequently a few tines and hope for the best I guess.

This sucks, I hope things work out for you. Do you think one of the loose baffles blocked the pickup intake?

I didn't do anything to Bessie this weekend, but I did pick up a never assembled IAG Stage 2 Tuff short block. This wasn't the original path I had intended but I saw it pop on Facebook marketplace. I paid for what amounts to $300 more than a Spec RA block. I will be posting progress on Bessie's thread in my signature.

IAG-Stage-2-TUFF.thumb.jpg.9c7932c465ebfe75acf4aa129813cf67.jpg

• Like 6

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Changed spark plugs and coils.  One of the previous owners was trying to figure out a misfire issue.  Plugs had some carbon build up, but didn't look that bad.  Coils didn't look that new. Intakes were definitely blasted with something, but since the timing belt wasn't done, I know they did it on the car.

Pulled heater core hoses and started working on my cylinder 4 cooling mod/coolant temp gauge sensor install.  That's on hold till I find an M12 hex bit, or weld an old bolt onto a socket. :)

• Like 1

Gutted the driver's side of the interior so I could go through all the add-on wiring. I was hoping to find the cause of my parking light issues but no luck there. Still glad I did it though. Found some sketchy stuff like the power wire for the aftermarket gauges being run through moving parts of the clutch pedal assembly. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ajerezcl said:

I need a solid sway bar end-links. After 5 trackdays my whiteline front sway bar end links are death.

Any recomendations?

Kartboy will probably do the trick. If you're using a whiteline bar in the front, get the spacers, too.

Installed my DIY cylinder 4 cooling mod and coolant temperature sensor.  Ghetto fabulous, but cheap.

Oil pan drain bolt tapped to 1/4 NPT, then a tee, then a bushing for the 1/8 temp sensor.  5/16" barb on other side.  This will mate to a 5/8 to 5/8 to 5/16 tee in the heater hose return.

Started removing the brake booster and master cylinder.  STi parts are going on tomorrow.

While under the dashboard I started trying to figure out what brand of remote starter this car has, so I can see if I can source a remote.

311153247_1775431499499230_2185300932568012162_n.jpg

• Like 1

Should be receiving replacement front calipers for my recently installed Powerstop kit from Rockauto today. Left front caliper was locked up and getting a little hot (actually really hot!). Pads and rotor appear to be ok. They do not want the old parts back which is odd to me so I will have a set of calipers for cheap if anyone needs them. Left one needs some attention in the piston area. 

4 hours ago, whitexc said:

Should be receiving replacement front calipers for my recently installed Powerstop kit from Rockauto today. Left front caliper was locked up and getting a little hot (actually really hot!). Pads and rotor appear to be ok. They do not want the old parts back which is odd to me so I will have a set of calipers for cheap if anyone needs them. Left one needs some attention in the piston area. 

They don't want them for "cores". I wonder if they know something they are not telling you, those old parts are junk. I went through 5 right front calipers from NAPA before I got a good one. That was over a few years, well outside the normal warranty. NAPA covered all them for free. They found out the "reman company" had an issue with their tooling. 

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Nothing *I* did, but picked up my car from the body shop, after they took care of the minor collision damage from a few weeks ago.

Like it never happened! As a bonus, they did the whole front bumper bar, which was definitely pretty chipped up and in need of paint. Only down side is I now have a quarter of the car that looks great, but the rest is still rusty garbage. Ah well, that is my problem to fix in the future.

5B73551C-38D1-4629-B5DA-535B0201CC01.jpeg

359B0C4D-61F8-4399-BC41-4A0EB670200B.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks man! I actually do have them, but the car was up and down off Quickjacks so many times in the process of doing all the suspension, engine bay and exhaust work that I took them off pretty early in the process, rather than have them get all chewed up.
Doesn't look quite right, but I also need to cut so much rust and metal out of the drivers side fender, they might as well stay off for the time being... =/

I need to decide how to address that. I'm still on the fence about whether i shoudl just glue the new panels in, or man up and start practicing my thin metal welding skills....

Maybe just get replacement fenders.  People seem to be selling legacy fronts fairly often.  If it's the rears....well, you can get subiesavers but that will definitely involve more cutting and welding.  :)

I got myself a pair of madrig's rear quarters for my wagon.  it was pricey to get them put on but they'll never rust.  :)

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, GearJamr said:

Maybe just get replacement fenders.  People seem to be selling legacy fronts fairly often.  If it's the rears....well, you can get subiesavers but that will definitely involve more cutting and welding.  :)

I got myself a pair of madrig's rear quarters for my wagon.  it was pricey to get them put on but they'll never rust.  :)

Yeah, it's the rears. The usual Subaru wagon rear wheel rot. I've got a pair of Subiesavers panels in the basement, just been too busy with every other thing in life to get around to it. I know roughly nothing about doing proper body panel work.

I figure no matter how it goes, the car is going to be off the road for at least a couple of months while I learn the basics, do the job, redo half the job, realize I should have paid someone in the first place, then come around to feeling satisfied that I did the job myself.... You know, the DIY mentality/illness cycle.

I also don't really have anywhere but my crap driveway to do it. So, my solution to not paying the body shop that is *literally* at the end of my street ~$1k/side to replace the rear arches, is to instead spend $30K on a garage so I can do the job myself. Probably poorly. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

New caliper installed to replace the sticker. Oil change with some T6 (I finally found some at the local Home Depot), Mazda filter.....found drivers front axle boot ripped and slinging the goodness all about so that's next. 

What is the general consensus on rebooting axles? OEM kits? Should probably do it this week. FML. 

4 hours ago, whitexc said:

New caliper installed to replace the sticker. Oil change with some T6 (I finally found some at the local Home Depot), Mazda filter.....found drivers front axle boot ripped and slinging the goodness all about so that's next. 

What is the general consensus on rebooting axles? OEM kits? Should probably do it this week. FML. 

What's the price difference for oem? My gut says the hard parts would be what separates quality from garbage on axles and the reboots probably don't matter as much? Effectiveness of the reboot is probably down to grease quality and application, and then correct fastening plier usage. 

As for my 4th gen legacy today... I didn't really do anything to it, but for it. A couple weeks ago I picked up the bigger pieces of a black interior swap. Today is driver's seat cleaning day. 

Yucky poison fart tan seat and new black freshness for comparison. 

20221015_160750.jpg

20221015_160854_HDR.jpg

Also this has me thinking. Many years ago I got a bracket piece that bolts to the floor on the driver's seat that holds the floor mat in place. I've taken it for granted for a long time, how many other of you have that bit? Is this something more new owners need to find out about? 

Edited by seanyb505
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, seanyb505 said:

Also this has me thinking. Many years ago I got a bracket piece that bolts to the floor on the driver's seat that holds the floor mat in place. I've taken it for granted for a long time, how many other of you have that bit? Is this something more new owners need to find out about? 

That was a cool solution by Subaru. Loved mine. A tech inspector managed to rip it out of the floor before a hpde.

• Sad 1