LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Well, knocked out a long overdue project and feeling really good about how it came out. I gutted the alcantara door card inserts from the Spec B panels and put them in the JDM door panels. Also had to swap the front window/lock switch face plates onto the correct sides. This part of the project was not very fun. It's not super difficult to do but you have to be careful and very tedious when removing the plastic rivets or you destroy the possibility of securing the mounting point with interior screws when putting it back to together.

Threw in the additional mirror tweeter housings and the 3" mid component speaker mounts that madrig made out of carbon. While each door card was off I swapped in the OEM speakers from the Spec B just because they were in visibly better shape. No real difference in sound from the speakers but I also added sound deadening material to the inner & outer shells of every door and the cabin in noticeably quieter and music sounds more clean.

Now I just need to upgrade and add more speakers, get the rear re-upholstered to match the STI seats and try to source an EDM console. Going to be swapping in the updated dash panels and center console from the Spec B for the time though.

[ATTACH]285774[/ATTACH][ATTACH]285775[/ATTACH][ATTACH]285776[/ATTACH]

This has to be thee NICEST interior I've ever seen in a Legacy. My hats off to you..

Scotty

Well, knocked out a long overdue project and feeling really good about how it came out. I gutted the alcantara door card inserts from the Spec B panels and put them in the JDM door panels. Also had to swap the front window/lock switch face plates onto the correct sides. This part of the project was not very fun. It's not super difficult to do but you have to be careful and very tedious when removing the plastic rivets or you destroy the possibility of securing the mounting point with interior screws when putting it back to together.

I agree with Scotty, this is the interior from an 08 Spec B right? Where you get the red seat belts...

This has to be thee NICEST interior I've ever seen in a Legacy. My hats off to you..

Scotty

Much appreciated, just don't look at the center console around the cup holders. :(

I agree with Scotty, this is the interior from an 08 Spec B right? Where you get the red seat belts...

Only items from the Spec B currently in the car is the alcantara door card inserts and I'll install the center console & dash trim soon. Everything else -> full upper black conversion from tan, '14 STI seats, '11 STI wheel, rear seats are the original Leggy leather, door cards are from a JDM Leggy with the McIntosh stereo (fronts have the additional 3" speaker spot - rears are identical to USDM). Seat belts are from safetyrestore.com, you ship your seat belts out to them and they have a bunch of different webbings they can replace the originals with.

Only items from the Spec B currently in the car is the alcantara door card inserts and I'll install the center console & dash trim soon. Everything else -> full upper black conversion from tan, '14 STI seats, '11 STI wheel, rear seats are the original Leggy leather, door cards are from a JDM Leggy with the McIntosh stereo (fronts have the additional 3" speaker spot - rears are identical to USDM). Seat belts are from safetyrestore.com, you ship your seat belts out to them and they have a bunch of different webbings they can replace the originals with.

Didn't know '14 STI seats fit on the leggy, I really need to pay attention to more of these details. Did you get the E-brake boot and shifter boot from the STI also?

2 stage paint correction and ceramic coating. Shop owner just sent me a quicky, picking up tomorrow morning.

The paint isn't in great shape honestly, except that it's in damn good shape for age/miles/location. Any more time and effort spent would be better saved for repaint or alternative options though. End of the day, it'll look good again for awhile, but definitely won't win any shows. I don't see myself parting with it for a looong time and it looks great to me.

295862008_Screenshot_20200721-1640482.thumb.png.dfba1cd8eb80a993c2769dd8746b5659.png

Edited by BoozeRS05

@doctordave, real nice!! I’m looking for rear left spec b door card since previous owner had whole door replaced in fender bender but shop took an lgt complete door with lgt door card!! Ugh try finding one now!! These details bug the crap out of me. I got the car last year and I’m still finding little surprises like this!

Waiting onsome parts but will be installing perrin turbo inlet blue, samco coupler and bpv hose in blue and a few vacuum hoses from siliconehise.com in blue. Can’t wait!! Vf52 and invidia dp divorced and DEI titanium wrapped is ready to go in after that

@doctordave, real nice!! I’m looking for rear left spec b door card since previous owner had whole door replaced in fender bender but shop took an lgt complete door with lgt door card!! Ugh try finding one now!! These details bug the crap out of me. I got the car last year and I’m still finding little surprises like this!

Waiting onsome parts but will be installing perrin turbo inlet blue, samco coupler and bpv hose in blue and a few vacuum hoses from siliconehise.com in blue. Can’t wait!! Vf52 and invidia dp divorced and DEI titanium wrapped is ready to go in after that

Make sure you have cut back the divorce plate before you try to install the dp. Use anti-seize compound on all threads.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Also get a new oil return hose from the turbo.

Hint, I also bolt the turbo to the up pipe. makes it much easier to line up the oil return, up pipe and inlet hose at the same time.

Next hint, leave the turbo loose until you have the tmic lined up at the TB and turbo.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Havent done anything recently to my car but got things lining up. Bought Centric rotors, brake shoes and hardware from Rockauto, Hawk HPS from TireRack, SS brake lines from another member here, ATE TYP200 fluids for a flush. Also found a Nexus 7 (2012) for cheap on FB marketplace, will continue to look for a 2013 before full install with the cubby set I got from another member here. Thought the thing I am most excited for is the sound upgrade, was able to pick up JL Audio w6 subs from a friend, trying to narrow down the new head unit I want, and got Morel speakers in my checkout cart on Crutchfield. Car will be revamped when I start driving back to work

Got my tune sorted thanks to Dave at cryotune. I know we all know that Dave is great but I went like three months without contacting him and started getting serious false knock, he still got me sorted out. Just wanted to give him another shout out.

Now if I can somehow afford a dp as I move to Michigan it'll make it easier to stomach a retune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I did a quick alignment after a new bushing and a couple of days ago I got my zf design clutch. I'm excited to get it in but I'm waiting to hear back on a vehicle shell first so I can swap over everything.
I've got his 6 puck in and an ACT street lite flywheel. Still on break in, probably 300-400 miles right now. I do get a weird grinding noise at no throttle coasting in gear but he tells me it's because the lightweight flywheel and my rigid pitch stop mount making things much more audible. I still suspect maybe a pilot bearing though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I do get a weird grinding noise at no throttle coasting in gear but he tells me it's because the lightweight flywheel and my rigid pitch stop mount making things much more audible. I still suspect maybe a pilot bearing though.

If it's the same noise I'm thinking of, I've had that as well as soon as I installed my Cobb short-throw shifter and bushings almost 50k miles ago. As far as I can remember, that noise only appears in vacuum while in gear. Clutch in, neutral, or any "power" coming out of the motor (i.e. on throttle), the noise isn't there. We're both on the spec.B 6MT, so I suspect we're talking about the same thing.

Update for me: steering wheel is now centered, but I'm sure my alignment is totally borked (doesn't feel like it while driving, but there's no way I nailed it with my lazy eyeballing it :lol:). I strongly suspect I'll eventually need to chop off 1-2cm of my Whiteline outer tie rods to get a proper range of toe adjustment. I think I'm leaning towards just getting it over with and doing it before bringing the car for an alignment to ensure I don't end up unable to get it aligned.

On another note, noticing a good amount of feedback knock between 3.2-4k RPM. Haven't done a thorough analysis of my logs to try and determine root cause.

Edited by solidxsnake

I've got his 6 puck in and an ACT street lite flywheel. Still on break in, probably 300-400 miles right now. I do get a weird grinding noise at no throttle coasting in gear but he tells me it's because the lightweight flywheel and my rigid pitch stop mount making things much more audible. I still suspect maybe a pilot bearing though.

I get the same with my smfw, group n pitch stop, and excedy oe clutch and pressure plate. Sounds terrible imo but everyone tells me it's fine. Been 10k like that.

Threw in the additional mirror tweeter housings and the 3" mid component speaker mounts that madrig made out of carbon. While each door card was off I swapped in the OEM speakers from the Spec B just because they were in visibly better shape. No real difference in sound from the speakers but I also added sound deadening material to the inner & outer shells of every door and the cabin in noticeably quieter and music sounds more clean.

Now I just need to upgrade and add more speakers, get the rear re-upholstered to match the STI seats and try to source an EDM console. Going to be swapping in the updated dash panels and center console from the Spec B for the time though.

You got any pictures on the door card alcantara swap. I halfway attempted this but then stopped and just put the door cards in. I noticed all the melted on plastic rivets. Almost wanted to look into it, buying a new door card then transferring or just having someone make some alcantara there. I already have the spec b door cards but they are beat up or water damaged in some spots.

I would think that if the leak was at the pump you would have a few day's as long as you keep an eye on the PS fluid level to replace the pump with one from the auto parts store. My NAPA PS pump has been great for a few years now.

Make sure you get the U shaped crush gasket for the side of the pump.

Did you also get the STI solid steering U joint ? I just got one off ebay for $47.00. Fit on nicely but is a little short on the top end where it slides on the column. Others on here say that is normal and nothing to worry about.

There's a thread about currently in the Tech Forums.

I did get the u-joint but I bought new, via Flatirons Tuning. They had to add the item to the website for me and it was like one of 3 left in the US right now. Low production volume based on inventory I'm guessing.

I get the same with my smfw, group n pitch stop, and excedy oe clutch and pressure plate. Sounds terrible imo but everyone tells me it's fine. Been 10k like that.

Yeah I have the group n engine mounts, cast urethane to fill the voids in my old trans mount, along with the faction fab pitch stop mount. All this probably contributes to the noise. Probably not a bushing I haven't upgraded our replaced at this point now too.

Welcome to the famous subaru 1940's truck transmission. I have been putting up with this since about 2008, I've learned to coast down hills in neutral.

Welcome to the famous subaru 1940's truck transmission. I have been putting up with this since about 2008, I've learned to coast down hills in neutral.

I just decided it meant I could ignore nvh concerns cuz it was already loud lol.