LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Used my smoke machine for the first time and found a vacuum leak at my turbo inlet BPV hose. After reinstalling the intercooler, it looked like there was a smaller leak but it was coming out of the wiring harness? Didn't seem like it was coming from the throttle hose.

I left it for another day as a wave of sleepiness came over me. After helping a friend build a shed a few weeks back I've learned not to push myself when I'm tired. Many mistakes happen that way.

• Like 3

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

1 hour ago, Max Capacity said:

310Z, how come that car has no rust under it ?

It's not in your location. It was a garage queen all of its life. It spent most of it's life in the hills outside CAs Bay Area and then the last few in Medford OR.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 310Z said:

It's not in your location. It was a garage queen all of its life. It spent most of it's life in the hills outside CAs Bay Area and then the last few in Medford OR.

Hey, just because my oil pan rusted out and began leaking on my new garage floor... LOL.  Yeah, mine had lots of winter miles going skiing.  Take care of yours as it's in nice shape.

• Thanks 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

On 10/30/2023 at 10:02 PM, SubOperator said:

Btw, I have bought some "OEM" parts from Amazon that ended up being counterfeit. In particular, years back was prepping for an overhaul of front suspension on son's 05 OB and bought shocks and tops hats from Amazon. Parts waited for a few months until I had everything ready and when we opened the boxes the top hats were clearly remanufactured old top hats. Cracked rubber, just painted over with black spray paint. Boxes were brand new though. "Made in India".

Not sure if this was a return from some smart ars customer that got shipped to me, or real counterfeit stuff, but after that I stopped buying parts from Amazon. Support your local dealer if you can.

Had a similar experience with an O2 sensor that lasted a month and a half.  Amazon told me to contact the Manufacturer(Denso) and they said that Amazon was not authorized to sell Denso sensors and that the warranty is only valid for authorized distributers.

Be warry of auto parts bought from amazon.

• Like 5

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

10 hours ago, solidxsnake said:

Took it for its last event for the season yesterday, had fun. Put it away for the winter at the parents place.

Thinking the time has come to move on. Will likely be cleaning it up next spring and listing it for sale... you heard it here first!

Move on to what?

On 11/5/2023 at 4:55 PM, Enlight said:

I left it for another day as a wave of sleepiness came over me. After helping a friend build a shed a few weeks back I've learned not to push myself when I'm tired. Many mistakes happen that way.

Yeah gotta watch out for fatigue. Might I inquire more about this shed? I only ask because I just placed a lumber order to build my own 10x16 shed this coming weekend. We'll see how well it goes

11 hours ago, solidxsnake said:

Thinking the time has come to move on. Will likely be cleaning it up next spring and listing it for sale... you heard it here first!

Super bummer to hear this. Any reasonable excuse?

• Like 2

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Installed Madrig's CF wing a few weekends ago. Terrible pic but absolutely love it!wing.thumb.jpeg.1309c15da39d197716a46ddffee8d357.jpeg

CFwing.thumb.jpg.6515632349581ec5a8755d54c9efa9ab.jpg

Other than that haven't done much with it other than drive it around ton, to the shop, and schedule a bunch of work for it to get done this November. Wife and I are expecting our 2nd child in early May next year so I've been getting really motivated to complete some long outstanding projects before it gets tucked away for the winter that I also don't want to deal with in the spring.

Brake upgrade is starting next week and sooner than expected since parts are getting delivered early. While it's in for that I'm having them install GroupN tophats to ditch the Whiteline ComC's and add camber adj bolts in the front. Also installing STI Flexible lower arm bar (ST2051221010), STI Support kit (ST20106ZR000) and a Laile Beatrush rear frame end bar. I'm seriously giddy about getting the brake work done. This is going to look and presumably perform phenomenally.

brakes.thumb.jpg.14fb2ecf0e92832b900275138750f9fa.jpg

Once all that work is completed the car is going off to paint to have partial work done on the spoiler and to get the Emotion Fukuoka rear bumper matched and installed. Staying with the same theme for the bumper but on the spoiler only the outer weave section is getting painted so the side profile flows nicely but the center sections I'm keeping exposed to show off the weave. Should be a fun month of stuff, really wish I could be more hands on with the projects but free time just seems to disappear these days.

bumper.thumb.jpg.5a321c5c5f412ec9e563f0608e16b66a.jpg

• Like 13

6 hours ago, jaylew said:

Yeah gotta watch out for fatigue. Might I inquire more about this shed? I only ask because I just placed a lumber order to build my own 10x16 shed this coming weekend. We'll see how well it goes

We bought a pre-fab aluminum shed so it was easier going than what you'll be doing. Most of the work actually went into building the platform.

shed(1).png

• Like 4

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

8 hours ago, DoctorDaveLGT said:

Installed Madrig's CF wing a few weekends ago. Terrible pic but absolutely love it!wing.thumb.jpeg.1309c15da39d197716a46ddffee8d357.jpeg

CFwing.thumb.jpg.6515632349581ec5a8755d54c9efa9ab.jpg

Other than that haven't done much with it other than drive it around ton, to the shop, and schedule a bunch of work for it to get done this November. Wife and I are expecting our 2nd child in early May next year so I've been getting really motivated to complete some long outstanding projects before it gets tucked away for the winter that I also don't want to deal with in the spring.

Brake upgrade is starting next week and sooner than expected since parts are getting delivered early. While it's in for that I'm having them install GroupN tophats to ditch the Whiteline ComC's and add camber adj bolts in the front. Also installing STI Flexible lower arm bar (ST2051221010), STI Support kit (ST20106ZR000) and a Laile Beatrush rear frame end bar. I'm seriously giddy about getting the brake work done. This is going to look and presumably perform phenomenally.

brakes.thumb.jpg.14fb2ecf0e92832b900275138750f9fa.jpg

Once all that work is completed the car is going off to paint to have partial work done on the spoiler and to get the Emotion Fukuoka rear bumper matched and installed. Staying with the same theme for the bumper but on the spoiler only the outer weave section is getting painted so the side profile flows nicely but the center sections I'm keeping exposed to show off the weave. Should be a fun month of stuff, really wish I could be more hands on with the projects but free time just seems to disappear these days.

bumper.thumb.jpg.5a321c5c5f412ec9e563f0608e16b66a.jpg

There needs to be a green with envy button.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Enlight said:

We bought a pre-fab aluminum shed so it was easier going than what you'll be doing. Most of the work actually went into building the platform.

shed(1).png

Had shed exactly like this one in our previous house. Rebuilt the platform before selling the house.

@Enlight  Tell your friend to watch for beams when he is inside (ask me how I know).

@jaylew You are more brave than I am. Even though I like building things, I bought pre-fab with delivery and installation. Too many projects at the new house and there is only 24 hours in a day.

• Like 3

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

On 11/7/2023 at 9:50 AM, jaylew said:

Subarus are not great money-to-pace platforms for the amateur motorsport stuff I'm interested in (autocross, time trials). I've already sunk way too much money into this car, and I'm looking to mostly avoid continuing the sunk-cost fallacy road I've been walking 🤣

• Like 4

Did some tweaking to the stereo.  Still running the stock speakers off of the Sony head unit, and then the ski-pass infinite baffle sub.  Used a cheap (but still decent) calibration mic and my phone to set the EQ with pink noise.  Emphasized the bass, and trimmed down the treble.  Impressed with how good it sounds, but I do think new speakers are in my future.

Also cleaned the center console armrest that was getting kind of tacky?  I feel like an interior deep clean is happening soon.  It generally stays pretty clean, but I think summer time with the heat and short sleeves/shorts made some surfaces just attract a bit more dirt than I was previously aware of.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2023 at 8:57 AM, SubOperator said:

You are more brave than I am.

Brave or foolish? I have plans for it that I put together. Motivation has been a combination of "I can build one bigger for cheaper" and to keep the garage as empty of yard tools as possible...the garage is for car stuff

• Like 1

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Today I opened Subi up to clean the PCV valve, as I suspected it may never have been and found that whilst I could detach the upper part of the hose..the portion connected to the valve itself just wasn't having it. It's as hard as a rock so I'm ordering a new hose for pickup at the local dealer, just to be safe.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jaylew said:

Brave or foolish? I have plans for it that I put together. Motivation has been a combination of "I can build one bigger for cheaper" and to keep the garage as empty of yard tools as possible...the garage is for car stuff

I call brave, labor is always the most expensive part of any project. If you can save some dough by doing the work yourself that's great. I personally love doing this kind of work and I have done a lot. When my sons help me then we really can get major projects complete (and we have).

I have the shed full of stuff that wold be in the garage otherwise so yes, a big shed is a blessing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Flaris said:

Today I opened Subi up to clean the PCV valve, as I suspected it may never have been and found that whilst I could detach the upper part of the hose..the portion connected to the valve itself just wasn't having it. It's as hard as a rock so I'm ordering a new hose for pickup at the local dealer, just to be safe.

Putting the hose back on the block is fun-fun-fun. I used some clear wire lubricant to force slide it on that nipple on the block, with the clamp already on the lower portion of the hose.

Not looking to do it again tbh...

• Like 1

Over the past couple weeks I removed the chrome trim above the license plate along with all the wording on the tailgate. I got a new “2.5 GT” logo and painted it and the trim piece black. 
I never liked the JDM red & clear taillights, and I finally got a set of stock JDM lights that I think look a lot nicer.

…and I made a grille from a stock grille and some plastic mesh.IMG_7707.thumb.jpeg.6488e89b300b8d209781a21c72ff671a.jpegIMG_7725.thumb.jpeg.7e86e5f2d210edc3af7dade7944c5955.jpeg

IMG_7724.jpeg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ashtone said:

Over the past couple weeks I removed the chrome trim above the license plate along with all the wording on the tailgate. I got a new “2.5 GT” logo and painted it and the trim piece black. 
I never liked the JDM red & clear taillights, and I finally got a set of stock JDM lights that I think look a lot nicer.

…and I made a grille from a stock grille and some plastic mesh.IMG_7707.thumb.jpeg.6488e89b300b8d209781a21c72ff671a.jpegIMG_7725.thumb.jpeg.7e86e5f2d210edc3af7dade7944c5955.jpeg

IMG_7724.jpeg

This JDM rear garnish, looks really good with the red and white JDM tails: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h1101047124

IMG_6545.png

• Like 4

Been enjoying driving it lately in spite of driveshaft annoyances. Oem piece busted a u-joint and I replaced it with a dorman unit from advanced auto. Part number 936-955. A more quality piece from the driveshaft shop and parts thread above would have taken too long to arrive. 

Well the Dorman unit had an awful vibration above 32mph. 

I figured I'd order the driveshaft shop unit, and just return the Dorman to advanced auto. 

Well the driveshaft shop piece arrived today. Same box. Same Dorman part suffix. Same painted over scrapes. Same paint over unit labels. Same weights, everything. Pretty lol considering their website goes through great lengths to say beware of Chinese parts. 

At this point I've got nothing but two hours to lose to see if this driveshaft is correctly balanced. At least I enjoy wrenching and my brakes could use a bleeding... 

Upon closer inspection, both the Dorman unit and the driveshaft shop unit (brand "DuraShaft" ©) were shipped from the exact same warehouse in Reno.

Edited by seanyb505
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Your grille looks actually pretty nice. Are you planning to add the logo too?

Thanks! I’m making another one that will have the logo. The one in the photo was a first attempt. I want the mesh to be farther back from the grille surround. I have the Subie Sticker for it.

• Thanks 1