LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

Suspension and Brake HW came in. A couple more boxes on the truck from USPS... One including some bits from our friend on Montreal. Can't wait to see this box.

The LGT brake package is huge! Can't wait for all of this to go on the car.

discovered i have a potential leaking stock rad.

Looks like i'll get the direct replacement koyo and some new caps. and coolant. etc. :(

I actually have my stock radiator from my 05 LGT in good condition. I'll sell it to you cheap and I think I'm local (Vancouver, WA). PM if you're interested.

well, i noticed the rad fans being on last night when i got home (20 minute highway commute) and then forgot about it till halfway through my drive to work this morning.

so head gasket might not be far behind...

filled it with DI at work and will take it back home. might try to patch but i'm hoping to not drive it again till it's replaced early next week.

Koyo is the current preferred replacement, yeah? not gonna get a full aluminum. but will get dealer upper and lower and new caps while i'm at it.

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Meh. If the needle has not bulged, then no reason IMHO.

When I did my mega road trip with the family last year, my needle did move a little a couple of times. I had btssm running and temps went as high as 219F on I70 in Colorado (looooong mountain pass). I was going 80mph though with a bunch of crap on the car :spin:. Had to slow down.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Looks like it's A13091 for the OEM koyo and VH091662 for the super koyo all Al.

looks like we're about to buy a Honda Pilot, so no need for a super radiator. $115 including S&H from THM motorsports. about $275 for the all Al koyo. honestly, if it was an OE core, i'd totally get an all Al koyo rad, but i don't live in a hot place and don't push my car...

OEM from Heuberger is $220 plus shipping. gonna see if the local dealer will match heuberger prices so i don't have to wait for shipping on hoses and caps and such.

i am thinking of getting a spec B shift trim panel though, for $135... (replace my cracked pleather that's all crinkly sounding on the first shift of a cold morning)

That is an odd failure. Same location seam split for me just before HG failure... Stock parts for the easy win.

Looking forward to some dry weather to get these new brakes on the car.

Edited by kzr750r1

Honda Pilot? Why not an Ascent?

meh, want the 5k towing capacity, reliability and 6 cylinder. don't want to get into another 4 cylinder turbo as the second and only other car. ;)

we're looking at a 2016 anyways, and the ascent is too new as well. let them work out the design flaws.

That is an odd failure. Same location seam split for me just before HG failure... Stock parts for the easy win.

it seems like the top hose helped it crack right there, as the crack started right under the hose connection. maybe from the radiator sitting still and the engine rocking and vibrating from use.

Replaced drivers side rear wheel bearing. Def took a little sledgehammer persuading

I just did the drivers side front on mine too. Was going perfectly until the last bolt, which someone previously had decided to replace with a completely different sized bolt. Had to take the knuckle off and cut the bearing off of it. Sucked.

BBOqPYKl.jpg

that sucks!

Such a huge pain in the ass. It took literally fifteen minutes from start up until the point when I went to take that last bolt out, then another day and a half to finish. Since the bolt they used didn't have that washer type of head on it the bolt was sitting down in the recessed part, leaving almost no surface for the socket to fit on.

Added a half quart of oil. Noticed some oil on the bottom of the filter, but none on the ground. Is it possible to have a leak that only happens when warm? Driveway is perfectly clean.

Also finally got around to changing the #1 and #3 plugs. Was getting lots of misfires from 1, and occasionally from 3. Runs much better. Will do other side tomorrow. Plugs look like they’ve never been changed.

I bet if you just tighten the oil filter slightly it goes away.

Went on a 900 mile road trip to Palm Springs and back. In the first 150 miles I threw a PO0244 code and pretty sure I was overboosting. High pitched whistling noise when the turbo spools passed 10 psi.

I out it in Intelligent mode and ignored it. My car feels really slow in Intelligent mode (I get like 11psi of boost instead of 18.5)

My hope is that something somewhere disconnected. It's also possible my EBCS is no longer working exactly as it should and needs to be pulled off and cleaned.

The whistling doesn't sound like metal on metal (or I am telling myself that) so pretty sure it's a hose / loose connection / pinprick.

At least I am telling myself that.

I bet if you just tighten the oil filter slightly it goes away.

I gave it good twist. Got about 1/10th of a turn, then wiped it clean. I have a good bit of driving to do today, so I’ll check again when I get home.