LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

That's true, I think it's because she's attracted to more comfort and tech that it offers. With the new legacy looking pretty mint, you'd have to assume most of that is going into this new outback. So I'm crossing my fingers the new look will win her back. She thinks the ride of my current outback it too rough. Then again she drives a Mazda 6 currently

The tech / comfort on the Toyota's are pretty great. I have never really been impressed with a Lexus (for the cost) as opposed to the comparable model Toyota with the same options.

Subaru is going the way of Toyota of 2000 and Honda of like 2006 (i.e. make boring all the things)

I am also leery of really anything Subaru lately, because I am not convinced they know how to make a working reliable engine (head gaskets that were never fixed + all the 05-09s eating themselves).

Toyota is really nice from a mentally you know it will work perspective (or maybe that's just a new car). Unsure how all the electronics will play out though.

Edited by Rhitter

I am also leery of really anything Subaru lately, because I am not convinced they know how to make a working reliable engine (head gaskets that were never fixed + all the 05-09s eating themselves).

Subaru fixed the head gaskets in the 2010+ 2.5i's

Just wanted to share that i was browsing some car magazine and there was an article about a swapped subaru wagon who had a version 8 sti motor. They stated that the jdm v8 sti motor was special because it had forged internals (from the factory). Lol.

Cept cast pistons, just like all ej20 and ej25's of the same generation. The only real difference is the displacement and turbo.

Anyways, back to the regular show...

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

I have a Version 8 ej207 in my bugeye - believe the hype. It's a way better engine. It revs to 8K stock, has better breathing heads, cams, forged crank and rods (I think)... the pistons are coated in nikasil or something, they're not fully forged. But the tolerances are very tight and they make a ton of power. I have had mine running a Dominator 3 xtr, on pump gas making 415whp on the stock longblock for right around 100K miles, and it's running exactly as it did when I first dropped it in. Never leaked a drop of oil nor has it started burning any.

That said, I wouldn't run it in an Outback. It's a horsepower motor, so you need to rev it out. The Outback seems to like the 'torque motor' characteristics of an ej255/257.

Edited by lil'redwagon

That's true, I think it's because she's attracted to more comfort and tech that it offers. With the new legacy looking pretty mint, you'd have to assume most of that is going into this new outback. So I'm crossing my fingers the new look will win her back. She thinks the ride of my current outback it too rough. Then again she drives a Mazda 6 currently

One of my very close friends has one of those. The interiors are pimp! I'm not a fan of the car, because I don't like Toyota hybrids - they all seem to drive like a Prius. Which is fine for my friend, all she cares about is the interior and if she can pair her phone with the infotainment. For those priorities, it's great!

Took a road trip yesterday to buy a new bass cab. Wagon ftw!

d34c725f310ff250d34134789dab634c.jpg

Did the entire trip with CEL since I unplugged the front O2 which is acting up and needs to be replace.

Noticed a clunking/rattle sound in the back... turns out to be a broken exhaust hanger.

Sadly rust will have the best of my OBXT [emoji30]

I have a Version 8 ej207 in my bugeye - believe the hype. It's a way better engine. It revs to 8K stock, has better breathing heads, cams, forged crank and rods (I think)... the pistons are coated in nikasil or something, they're not fully forged. But the tolerances are very tight and they make a ton of power. I have had mine running a Dominator 3 xtr, on pump gas making 415whp on the stock longblock for right around 100K miles, and it's running exactly as it did when I first dropped it in. Never leaked a drop of oil nor has it started burning any.

That said, I wouldn't run it in an Outback. It's a horsepower motor, so you need to rev it out. The Outback seems to like the 'torque motor' characteristics of an ej255/257.

Yeah that's the thing. It sounds like the ej207 can easily be horsepower monsters. But I like early torque monsters :spin:.

Most our miles lately seem to be the highway so the comfort and extras are becoming more of a need rather than a want like cars when we were younger and couldn't afford them.

As for us, I begin to realize that we need a bit more space. So that is one reason I've been eyeing at either the Tribeca or a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. Or maybe the Ascent.

Rhitter mentioned earlier lifted vans. I did look at those too but they look a bit funny.

Nice!

Did the entire trip with CEL since I unplugged the front O2 which is acting up and needs to be replace.

Noticed a clunking/rattle sound in the back... turns out to be a broken exhaust hanger.

Sadly rust will have the best of my OBXT [emoji30]

Nice find. What head are you running into this beast?

Agreed. Bass life = wagon life. Haven't played out in a couple years but still have a load of gear. My Bag End Q10BX-D usually is the go to cab, sold it years ago and bought it back about 4 years ago. Never went so far to have a 810. Edited by kzr750r1

As for us, I begin to realize that we need a bit more space. So that is one reason I've been eyeing at either the Tribeca or a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. Or maybe the Ascent.

Rhitter mentioned earlier lifted vans. I did look at those too but they look a bit funny.

Ford Transit with AWD will be released this year. Sadly the AWD isn't available with the diesel engine. But, you do get the turbo V6 that Ford has been shoving in everything.

I do not disagree. They look funny. But SUPER practical. I'll see if I still want one once they start popping up used.

I can't wait for a self driving van to come out. Best adventure mobile ever. Sleep overnight and end up in a fun place.

i used to want a little trailer that had a spot for a table, beds for 4+ and a cook spot (all indoors). tent trailer, small Scamp, Taxa cricket, etc.

then i wanted a tall sprinter, etc. that had that all inside (car + trailer in one!).

now i'm back to wanting a trailer, but maybe something smaller like a Taxa Tigermoth with a 4 person RTT above. interior eating and gathering place, awning for covered area (sun/rain), and a roll out cooking area. easy to store, easy to pull, and everything you need. and you don't try to cram a DD and camper into one vehicle (cause i can't imagine having a van that's JUST for camping...).

hmm.... cept the dog. hadn't thought about him this last go round.

back to the drawing board...

Also, the 2019 Sprinter 4x4 has just arrived in NA (EDIT: north america... not naturally aspirated. Actually, i have no idea what engine.). 2 delivered so far and one at the local van converter.

Edited by Flinkly

I have heard Sprinters have a huge backlog. I can't actually imagine the "everything in one vehicle." Every time you want to drive somewhere you have to break camp?

But it would be nice to have a vehicle you can easily sleep in one solo trips. Not that setting up a tent is hard or anything. I think I am just getting suckered int the freedom of the vanlife lifestyle. My mid-life crisis (at 33) is to dream of having 0 responsibilities and living in a van.

I like your plan of a small something. I just have no idea how to tow and no idea how to learn.

Edited by Rhitter

Jump in with both feet! Treading water while trying not to drown is a good first step with great motivation.

Thw obxt's are rated to tow 1500 without trailer brakes, and you can still load up the car with 800lbs of gear, depending on distribution.

Or just get a chow trailer with a RTT and an awning.

My wife got our 1500 lb trailer for 2.5k. not cheap, but cheap for a trailer that sleeps 6 and has a kitchen and table, all at the same time. 13' though, so it takes up some space, and we have an hoa, so not in the driveway...

OR BETTER YET!

rent something on outdoorsy. Sure it might cost $120 a day, but you don't have the up front investment, storage, and redic depreciation. Or the sadness if you look at it for years without using it.

I've definitely gotten to the place where i don't have time to have regrets. If i/we really want to do something, there's no time like now. Granted, we won't become vanlife gypsys or anything...

Sooo funny you guys are talking about trailers, vans, rtt, etc... As a matter of fact, I have created an account on the expeditionportal forum this week! :spin: They have some good stuff under their market place.

Also been trying to figure out what setup would be best for our family of 4 (+1 on the way). So many options. But not too many are inexpensive... I found a few interesting small popup trailers that are semi-off road rated and stuff like that. But still not that cheap. This week, we may go on another road trip of probably 600-1k miles one way. Will probably reuse the same setup I used last year BUT without a 20 lbs propane tank! :lol: I may purchase a 5lbs tank instead. That will be plenty and will save weight and space. May not take the awning either. That thing is not light.

And on topic, just changed all 4 rotors and pads. Pretty happy with the set up. Also the front rotors are 1kg lighter than the stock ones! So I shaved almost 5 lbs in the front. Not bad.

Will add LED lighting in the trunk area including footwells for our trip. Sick of not being able to see a thing in these cars (even after upgrading to leds everywhere).

Will add LED lighting in the trunk area including footwells for our trip. Sick of not being able to see a thing in these cars (even after upgrading to leds everywhere).

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that the lighting in these cars is just abysmal, even after changing to LEDs. Upgrading to LEDs was one of the first things I did to mine. It blows me away that they apparently never turned the lights off to look at this car in the dark and tried to find something inside as a test. I still have to do the "door open, map + dome light" mod.