LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

Added the LGT brake package to the OBXT. Not much difference in pedal feel. Nice to have a vented rear now, re man calipers and those massive rotors up front. No need to trim any of the backing plates was a nice win as well. My old setup had plenty of pad left and probably just needed a good cleaning.

Added the LGT brake package to the OBXT. Not much difference in pedal feel. Nice to have a vented rear now, re man calipers and those massive rotors up front. No need to trim any of the backing plates was a nice win as well. My old setup had plenty of pad left and probably just needed a good cleaning.

Huh. So you could not tell the bite was better or something? If that's the case, then that discourages me from doing the swap. I might as well keep the OBXT rotor size and put more agressive pads.

I bet if you just tighten the oil filter slightly it goes away.

Went on a 900 mile road trip to Palm Springs and back. In the first 150 miles I threw a PO0244 code and pretty sure I was overboosting. High pitched whistling noise when the turbo spools passed 10 psi.

I out it in Intelligent mode and ignored it. My car feels really slow in Intelligent mode (I get like 11psi of boost instead of 18.5)

My hope is that something somewhere disconnected. It's also possible my EBCS is no longer working exactly as it should and needs to be pulled off and cleaned.

The whistling doesn't sound like metal on metal (or I am telling myself that) so pretty sure it's a hose / loose connection / pinprick.

At least I am telling myself that.

Don't you have BtSsm running on your car?

Huh. So you could not tell the bite was better or something? If that's the case, then that discourages me from doing the swap. I might as well keep the OBXT rotor size and put more agressive pads.

That is why I didn't bother doing the swap. I just bled the system and threw some Stop Tech pads on there. The braking feels just as good as my bugeye with similar pads and SS brake lines. If I was tracking the XT then it would be a different story.

My windshield nozzles quit working completely. They sucked since I got the car, and the only one that kinda worked was the driver's side. I bought the hose assembly and was told it had the nozzles in it as well, it doesn't. Anyway, the main line coming off the tank was split so I replaced the line with the new one. Now I get some spray out of the driver's side, but it still sucks. I'm gonna get the nozzles from the dealership and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, then I'll replace the motor, and if it doesn't work after that then I'm out of ideas, lol.

Edited by monkeyposeur

Where we will feel it is less fade during spirited drives. Also could be the pads I used are fairly generic as Raybestos stated a semi metallic hybrid. I'm really stoked the old rotors were causing a bit of wheel shake at speed. Not any more.

That is why I didn't bother doing the swap. I just bled the system and threw some Stop Tech pads on there. The braking feels just as good as my bugeye with similar pads and SS brake lines. If I was tracking the XT then it would be a different story.

My windshield nozzles quit working completely. They sucked since I got the car, and the only one that kinda worked was the driver's side. I bought the hose assembly and was told it had the nozzles in it as well, it doesn't. Anyway, the main line coming off the tank was split so I replaced the line with the new one. Now I get some spray out of the driver's side, but it still sucks. I'm gonna get the nozzles from the dealership and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, then I'll replace the motor, and if it doesn't work after that then I'm out of ideas, lol.

I'm right behind you on the hose leaking. Last noticed a split at the first union on the drivers side. Hose feels like old gum. Need to replace all of it now I assume. as heat cycles have taken it's toll.

I'm right behind you on the hose leaking. Last noticed a split at the first union on the drivers side. Hose feels like old gum. Need to replace all of it now I assume. as heat cycles have taken it's toll.

It was a bit tricky to replace. What I did was duct tape the new line to the old one so I could pull it through the spot where it dips down into the fender near the windshield cowl. Then you just push the fender liner out of the way a little bit to access the union.

Don't you have BtSsm running on your car?

Yes, I used it to clear the code so I could use cruise control. My AFR looked normal. BtSsm was reporting 21 to 22 psi, so over boosting for sure. But I wasn't looking at WGDC, etc.

Mostly it was a it's 6am and I have been driving since 445am. I know it's caused by over boosting. I'll stop that from happening and deal with it all later.

Haven't dug through what else to look at yet.

For a DD the stock setup is great and lighter. Adding the weight to the front wheels was noticeable. More mass = more resistance to fade and better heat tolerance. Unneeded on most cars.

Better pads is all that's needed for a DD.

Edited by Rhitter

Did you check your long term fuel trims though? Have you been specifically tuned for colder weather?

Then, I need to sell this pair of brand new front LGT rotors I have in my garage. I have so many things to sell. But I am lazy :mad:.

Didn't look at fuel trims. I was tuned around this time and have boosted many times in colder weather.

Edit: yep, I blew one of the hoses that connects to the ebcs and the turbo off. It's the one that I didn't get a zip tie around.

Edited by Rhitter

Finally installed the Whiteline RSB. What a difference. I wish I had done this sooner. Took nearly four hours since I had to cut the old end links off the trailing arm. I can only imagine how easy this must be for you sunny SoCal guys who can unbolt their mufflers any old time. :spin:

Yeah I felt the same after putting my kit on. Already placed the support brackets on a couple years before the install. Rear was more difficult that the front. But after the install... Oh man. Should have done this years ago.

Finally installed the Whiteline RSB. What a difference. I wish I had done this sooner. Took nearly four hours since I had to cut the old end links off the trailing arm. I can only imagine how easy this must be for you sunny SoCal guys who can unbolt their mufflers any old time. :spin:

Yep, I waited a couple years before I put mine on and was kicking myself that I waited so long. Should have done it ASAP.

Since this is our "general" forum, I have this topic:

2017-2019 Golf Sportwagen and Golf Alltrack

Pros

- 1.8T with tuning potential to make 300+ (bolt on GTI or even a Golf R turbo)

- nearly identical interior/exterior specs to the 4th gen Legacy wagon & 3rd gen OB

- AWD (4motion, or whatever they call it)

- 6 speed MT or 6 speed DSG (either is a win)

- 6 year warranty (2018 or 2019. 2017 has shorter warranty)

- 8 years no smog in CA

- 30 mpg freeway

- Fancy lane departure, adaptive CC, plus more in higher trims

- Wagon body style is pretty rare (for a VW)

- Not a Subaru

- Base models have plenty of goodies and gizmos. Higher trims have near high end luxury stuff

- Sport it up with hand me down GTI parts on the cheap

Cons

- Cloth only in Sportwagen

- Pleather "vinyl" only in Alltrack

- AWD is FWD mostly, unless slippage

- You see 50 Golfs in their various formats on the way to work

- Not a Subaru

Edited by rebourne

I've driven my buddies new golf. Pretty fun little car to drive in town under 45mph. Hard thing for me is even going back 10years with vw/Audi the plastics in the interior and the red lighting to me comes off are super cheap on the base level vehicles.

I've seen one this week. They look pretty nice but also pretty small compared to our wagon.

More efficiently packaged? Nearly the same on the inside. A little give an take on the front and rear leg room.

Outback vs Sportswagen/Alltrack

Outback

length 188.7

height 63.2

wheel base 105.1

width 69.7

Front legroom 44.1

Rear legroom 33.9

cargo seats up 33.5

weight 3480

Sportswagen

length 179.6

height 58.2

wheel base 103.5

width 70.8

Front legroom 41.2

Rear legroom 35.6

cargo seats up 30.4

weight 3325 (DSG) 3280 6MT

9" shorter might mean I can open my garage side door with the car in the garage :lol:

I also drove a GTI amazing fun car. Annoying as **** FWD. Interior is such a nice place to be.

I had an 08 GTI, I know what you mean. Thus going with the 4Motion: "4Motion full-time all-wheel drive system using a fifth-generation Haldex controller." Hrmm, maybe it's not FWD until slippage. More research to do there.

Terrified of VWs reputation for reliability. Especially now that I have had a "reliable" Subaru

I hear ya on the VW reputation. There's now a 6 year warranty and that it's the final year of the MK7 so hopefully the bugs are worked out, is where I would put my confidence. I'm not terrified, but cautiously aware.

My car's been okay reliable... Just the usual: Blown engine, blown radiator, leaking power steering, hub bearings going out, and rotting front suspension bushings, but that's all par for the 10+ yo old Subaru course, right?

thanks for the specs. 6MT is 200 lbs lighter than our car!

Also looks like 3 cu ft less in trunk cargo volume. That's quite a lot actually imho. I built in the past a 3.5 cu ft sub box and it was taking a lot space. I have two kids now (one more on the way), and trunk space is very precious at the moment :lol:. Problem is I carry a bunch of tools at all time. Oh and a 'lil' custom made sub box; almost forgot to mention it :spin:

thanks for the specs. 6MT is 200 lbs lighter than our car!

Also looks like 3 cu ft less in trunk cargo volume. That's quite a lot actually imho. I built in the past a 3.5 cu ft sub box and it was taking a lot space. I have two kids now (one more on the way), and trunk space is very precious at the moment :lol:. Problem is I carry a bunch of tools at all time. Oh and a 'lil' custom made sub box; almost forgot to mention it :spin:

I've found that we adapt to trunk volume. When we only had the Evo X to travel in, we made it work. Back then that was a 7 cu ft (SEVEN!) trunk, two rear facing car seats and a double stroller.

Now when we pack, it's like: should we take this? Sure, why not, trunk isn't full yet.

Anyways. Two words: (Looks great with a) roof box.

Nope no Tribeca. I do have an AWD Sienna. It's great allows me to overpack and still have all seats free.

I can't believe Rebourne made it so long in an Evo X. I drove to Palm Springs and packed just for two people (plus all my biking gear and bike on the roof) and I was annoyed with how little room I had. My wife was sitting so close to me.

Have I mentioned how much I like sliding doors for carseats? They are the best. The minivan is also surprisingly sporty.

I know I am not going to sell anyone else on it. But, it's like a giant (poor fuel efficiency - just like my OBXT) wagon.

Last VW I had in the stable was an 84 GTi. Last of the Rabbit body. Fun car unless your trying to rip from LA to Pleasenton in under 5 hours... We made it but the car was at the limit the entire way as it was geared for 55mph at 3K. We were not going 55.

It would shear studs off the exhaust manifold and the transmission rebuild was costly. The case split.

About the only VW interest I have now is in older Type 1 and 2 vans. Because smog exempt.