LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

Took a little bit of time to set out all of the project parts I've accumulated in the six months my car was down. Pretty solid spread, got some really neat stuff, going to be a pretty significant transformation for the car. Here is what I have gathered:

-Inferno Fab EZ36 full catted headers

-Kakimoto BIC336 Intake Chamber

-Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers with Swift Springs, 10k/9k, 2k overvalved “Dewey valved”

-Carbon Ganador LED Super Mirrors with Prova Convex Blue Glass

-LED Processed Tail Lights Custom from Yahoo Japan auctions

-Pleasure Racing Service EZ36 LWCP

aJw5hDs.jpg

gn6CWrD.jpg

2d4eNMO.jpg

snisOMM.jpg

tpWzG4s.jpg

TVhxEtD.jpg

i4WjOSt.jpg

b40ldlq.jpg

LAJiJk1.jpg

iXriKpL.jpg

giQBbAO.jpg

Coilovers will most likely wait till the spring, because there’s no point in getting those salty and shitty straight out of the box. PRS lightweight crank pulley may also just become a shelf trophy, as there’s apparently a fluidampr solution in the works for EZ36, so we'll see how the develops. The tails will be the first thing one, followed by the Intake and Headers, but I'm planning to several dyno sessions to test various combinations. What I want to test is:

-Current form for a baseline

-Kakimoto Intake, stock headers

-Inferno fab headers, stock intake

-Inferno fab headers + Kakimoto intake

The dyno days will also give me a chance to have XRT fully refine my tune on a dyno rather than just road tuning, so hoping to schedule that soon after my Xmas bonus arrives.

I also recently retrieved what will be this year's winter setup for my 3.6R: Tribeca wheels, 18x8 +55. Going to be picking up a another set of General Altimax Arctic 12s in 225/45/18. They are 5x114.3, so I will have to run adatpers, and the extra 25mm will give me virtually exactly the same fitment as the setup I ran last year, which was 215/55/17 on my stock 17x7.5 +48 with 25mm spacers. That old setup is on my 3rd gen now, sans spacers. Should look pretty good.

660YpCt.jpg

ZLSMk8V.jpg

VbQY1my.jpg

O79ScA0.jpg

Even though I dont post as much since we are super busy these days at the shop and etuning we still love the LGT.com community and have such pride in what this community was able to do for us. You guys are awesome and always happy when an etune customer mentions a post from here or says they heard about us from one of our writeups on this site..

Thanks you guys!

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Put her on a flatbed to be towed to the dealer at 9 last night. Shifting from 5th to 6th accelerating away from a stop and heard the death wail of gears grinding. Coasted to the shoulder to see what’s what. Wouldn’t shift anywhere other than neutral right above 6th and into reverse. Not even any lateral travel in neutral so couldn’t get it to the 1-2 or 3-4 gates. Funny thing is, it would also shift straight down into 6th but the car read it as R. Dealer looked at it today and said they could tear it down to find the problem or just install a new trans; apparently there is one spare new 6mt in the US right now. Would be prohibitively pricey. So they’re tearing it down. We’ll see if the gamble pays off. Otherwise I’ll have a low-miles parts car (54k mi) to dispose of and will be looking for a new ride. Bummed. Will update once there’s a diagnosis.

Didn’t someone have a problem with their shifter mechanism that prevented proper gear engagement? Hopefully it’s something simple like that. Otherwise don’t forget about Andrewtech in Gaithersburg for trans help. https://andrewtechautomotive.com/

Edit here is one of the linkage failure examples:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5968159

Edited by NVAKeith

If it was my car, I would pull the shifter assembly to see if something failed with in that and is binding everything up. You description doesn't sound good.

I had an issue where the delivery driver didn't lift up on the reverse lock out and force that over.

Thanks everyone. Got the call this evening. Bent the input shaft, wrecked a bearing and a few washers/rings, and trashed the reverse synchro. Techs haven’t seen anything like it on this 6mt trans, but the good news is that it wasn’t as bad as they or I feared and it can be rebuilt. Parts availability is spotty but should have everything in by mid-Jan. Still going to be a pretty penny, but I can rationalize it give a few weeks and some bourbon.

I am going to guess this was the delayed boom from a fuse that was lit several years ago when I was 2-wheel towed. Had to replace a diff then, but I am guessing the trans had damage that just decided to make an appearance.

• 2 weeks later...
Possibly, what are the details?

2010, Grey, 6MT, 181k miles, VIN 4S3BMFK66A1214746, No mods, Timing belt done at Dealer at 110k, clutch at dealer around 140k, tires have ~30k on them. All of the paperwork is in the glovebox so I can't give you much more right now. It used to burn oil, now it limps :D

Just replaced the TPMS sensors and rotated/balanced the tires on Monday, so there's $340 I would be getting back...

mr goodhue, calling mr goodhue....

LOL, I still haven't finished my other 2010GT. It has been taking forever for rebuild parts. I just received the engine bearing this week that I ordered months ago. I am still waiting on the OEM past order I made with the rings, the 5th Gen oil cooler seemed to be delayed. It has ben 2.5 months. I am a little worried that they are going to cancel the order for that part.

michigan car gotta keep an eye on rusty parts, but if all it needs is head gaskets/rebuilt head prolly couple grand, and valves should be pretty easy to source...rusty parts/body work is where it starts to get expensive. if i had a garage or driveway i could work on/house a car for a few weeks/months while stuff gets rebuilt i'd be in consideration, but...city streets are not hospitable to major engine work.

LOL, I still haven't finished my other 2010GT. It has been taking forever for rebuild parts. I just received the engine bearing this week that I ordered months ago. I am still waiting on the OEM past order I made with the rings, the 5th Gen oil cooler seemed to be delayed. It has ben 2.5 months. I am a little worried that they are going to cancel the order for that part.

this is the thing that keeps me worried about keeping my car super long term...would like to get another 10 years out of it but when parts start becoming difficult/impossible to come by, man that's tough to hold on to. you talking about part number 21311AA160 for the oil cooler? looks like there's one on ebay shipped from china, which is a risk there...wonder if you'd have more luck trying to order one in from japan directly rather than waiting for subaru to try and source one.

you talking about part number 21311AA160 for the oil cooler?

Yes that is the part number I ordered. Until a few days ago I was waiting on multiple parts, so I didn't know what was going to come in 1st. I might call them up and see if I can get the rest of the parts shipped so I can start rebuilding the motor. It would have been helpful to have the part o rebuild the engine over thanksgiving (my original plan) or Christmas break. I have a family vacation planned for later this month, so I am not really sure how much I am going to get done until February anyways.

this is the thing that keeps me worried about keeping my car super long term...would like to get another 10 years out of it but when parts start becoming difficult/impossible to come by, man that's tough to hold on to.

Generally, I think we should be able to find the 5th Gen parts which are common across all models. If Subaru discontinues it, the aftermarket will likely come up with a solution for the critical parts. For the 5th Gen GT specific parts, I think we will mostly be able to come up with solutions or buy used parts these car age and more GT's end up getting parted out.

With the price increases of used cars, I have thought about selling my 2012 GT. I could drive the 2010 GT when I finish it and sell it in a couple years when the car prices stabilize. Ultimately, I still really enjoy driving my '12 GT and it is in exceptional shape for age/mileage. I am just going to continue to drive it.

Generally, I think we should be able to find the 5th Gen parts which are common across all models. If Subaru discontinues it, the aftermarket will likely come up with a solution for the critical parts. For the 5th Gen GT specific parts, I think we will mostly be able to come up with solutions or buy used parts these car age and more GT's end up getting parted out.

yeah, i think for a while at least we should be fine since subarus share so much between platforms, but it's the little stuff like the oil cooler that have me worried. all goes as planned i fully expect to hang on to this car for at least 10 more years, but i'm figuring at 20 years old the parts are going to be the issue considering how little aftermarket love this platform gets. who knows? maybe there'll be a 5th gen GT renaissance