LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

The 1st replacement engine was 45k, but yeah it sat for about 2.5 months waiting for my shop to have time to do the swap.

Maybe try renting a cherry picker, verifying the proper tools, and do it yourself. It’s not as hard as people would have you think if it is a complete replacement. Just don’t disconnect any a/c lines [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Inferno Fab Full Catted Headers

Just curious, I know you had been eyeing the Raptor headers for along time. Why the change? Availability?

Also, sorry to hear it’s not going smoothly on the engine swap.

Just curious, I know you had been eyeing the Raptor headers for along time. Why the change? Availability?

Also, sorry to hear it’s not going smoothly on the engine swap.

The main driving factor was having a significantly larger portion of the full exhaust system be direct bolt up. The Raptor headers are just the headers themselves, the Inferno headers are the headers, the catted pipe section with hi-flow cats already included, and the middle Y to go to the mid-pipe. It eliminated the need for my to find/decide on/buy/fab-in hi-flow cats on my own. The only part of the system that will need to be fabricated now is the mid-pipe, which I can also run as is for the time being and just bolt-up and go.

Plus, while Raptors are good quality, Inferno's quality is another step above. Gorgeous welds, all V-band connectors. They are quite a lot more expensive than the Raptors but you get a lot more for it, and I bought them during their Black Friday sale, so I saved a fair amount. My only complaint about Inferno was the amount of time it took to get them but that's because it's the guy's side business and hobby passion, so you can only expect so much. Still, you get what you pay for in quality.

That said, they arrived about a week before my engine went down, and has been down since, so with my luck, it's going to be a full year from the time that I ordered them to the time I can install them.

q0gNOf8.png

UjqZ3Ez.png

lifJfFa.png

XjxJgqV.png

1HKFNIk.png

6GNoErL.png

• 3 weeks later...
finally had a nice day where i had no plans, so i installed new pads and rotors front and rear and a fresh oil change. brake fluid was in good shape so i just left it. went with OE rotors and powerstop z23 pads. used those pads last time and i like em, good bite, quiet, and relatively low dust, can't ask for much more. not a bad couple hours work this morning...makes so much difference not having the shimmies under even light braking like i had before.

Understood, sometimes you have to decide enough is enough…

I don't mean to shit on the car, I actually plan on buying another Subaru...it's more a factor of where I live. 10 years is about the limit here in the northeast.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a DIY job this time around, but took it to the trusted shop to do a 60k major interval, exhaust install, and some other tidbits. About 1600 all said and done.

- oil, rear diff, brake, and coolant fluids

- eBay midpipe with tube resonator and nameless 4in w/muffler delete. Sounds good. A little droany with the NA 2.5i, just means I gotta get the rpms a littler higher [emoji3]

- spark plugs

- finally got new tire sensors installed (no more dash lights!)

- water pump was leaking so had that replaced. Only lasted 60k miles [emoji20]

- cleaned my k&n cabin and engine filters when I got home

- had the little one 'help' me wash it up. Everything short of clay bar and wax coating. Ain't got time for that lol

I've got enough money in this thing now there is probably no way I'm getting rid of it lol commuter till it's demise.

6e907599f29bce5d185723f2cd372698.jpg13120b8086c26d61872c8b82137f0cd2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Edited by Zee199969

Attempted to change the right rear wheel bearing and couldn't even get the axle nut off because it is so badly rusted...decided it is time to get a new car. This thing has me busy every weekend and I'm sick of it.

I totally understand. My prior car that I have before I bought a 5th Gen Legacy in 2012, I was constantly working on. It had a problem every 2 months, it seem like once I fix one thing another part started to fail. I sold to a coworkers brother for $1500 and warned him. I know the problems continued...

As for the axle nut did you use a chisel on nut to remove the crimp Subaru put in? The bearings would have probably been a pain to get out anyways.

eBay midpipe with tube resonator and nameless 4in w/muffler delete.

I have a factory style midpipe and muffler I'm putting on tomorrow, unfortunately. Had been trying to buy a Q300 cat-back for the last 6 months or so and they've been out of stock. Wouldn't you know that a week after I buy crappy stock parts I get an email from a company saying they have two Q300 kits in stock. FML :(

I have a factory style midpipe and muffler I'm putting on tomorrow, unfortunately. Had been trying to buy a Q300 cat-back for the last 6 months or so and they've been out of stock. Wouldn't you know that a week after I buy crappy stock parts I get an email from a company saying they have two Q300 kits in stock. FML :(

lol well depending on how loud you like it, that might be a good thing. I'm already considering getting the muffled version of the nameless tailpipe. It's like $50 more than the deleted one I bought, but this is a bit louder than I was expecting. Youtube vids don't do it justice. I don't want my neighbor to hate me.. yet :redface:

lol well depending on how loud you like it, that might be a good thing. I'm already considering getting the muffled version of the nameless tailpipe. It's like $50 more than the deleted one I bought, but this is a bit louder than I was expecting. Youtube vids don't do it justice. I don't want my neighbor to hate me.. yet :redface:

Not a fan of loud exhausts, but the Q300 supposedly isn't too bad. I mainly just wanted it for the stainless and dual exhaust. It had already been replaced once by the previous owner. The car only has 80k and it's on its third exhaust.

Not a fan of loud exhausts, but the Q300 supposedly isn't too bad. I mainly just wanted it for the stainless and dual exhaust. It had already been replaced once by the previous owner. The car only has 80k and it's on its third exhaust.

Someone must has used a cheap quality aftermarket exhaust. From my experience with 5th Gen (I have owned 2010, 2011, and 2x 2012) in Northeast, I can see the factory exhaust lasting 8 years in salt belt environment (the rear muffler flanges seem to be the parts corrodes the quickest). No way would it rust through two factory quality exhaust in 10 years.

Someone must has used a cheap quality aftermarket exhaust. From my experience with 5th Gen (I have owned 2010, 2011, and 2x 2012) in Northeast, I can see the factory exhaust lasting 8 years in salt belt environment (the rear muffler flanges seem to be the parts corrodes the quickest). No way would it rust through two factory quality exhaust in 10 years.

The rusted out muffler and mid-pipe I took out were Walker parts. I'm sure the PO had a leak from rusted flanges on the factory exhaust and got talked into replacing both with aftermarket junk. I personally would have opted to have someone just fix the flanges.

Yesterday, I got my 2nd air bag and the parking brake recalls done at the dealership. I went to the showroom and they had just tables where the new cars usually were. I walked around parking which was really bare. I thought they had OBXT, but was someone car. They had an LXT but it was used. In walking around, I realized that they only had 1 new car on the lot. In the back of lot was 4th Gen Spec.b which was sitting really high in the front. Likely the engine was out and it was a YNASB candidate.

Yesterday, I got my 2nd air bag and the parking brake recalls done at the dealership. I went to the showroom and they had just tables where the new cars usually were. I walked around parking which was really bare. I thought they had OBXT, but was someone car. They had an LXT but it was used. In walking around, I realized that they only had 1 new car on the lot. In the back of lot was 4th Gen Spec.b which was sitting really high in the front. Likely the engine was out and it was a YNASB candidate.

There are two Subaru dealers in my area, one of which is pretty massive. The larger one only has 6 new vehicles on their lot for sale and the other dealer has 3. Pretty crazy.

So with only 72k miles on the clock and commuting only two days per week, I decided to try to keep my car at least a couple more years before going full EV. So in that case I decided to install a thermal-coated Grimmspeed TMIC and the 2013 appearance package headlights. :)

picture.php?albumid=2865&pictureid=13039

Ugh, they scratched or cracked my dash in my Legacy when they did the air bag recall. I just noticed it today (i only drive my car once a week) and I picked it up in the dark.

Ugh, they scratched or cracked my dash in my Legacy when they did the air bag recall. I just noticed it today (i only drive my car once a week) and I picked it up in the dark.

That sucks. Hopefully the dealer will address the issue for you.

Drained the Motul/Red Line cocktail out of the trans and replaced it with Amalie Elixir synthetic 75w-90. What a waste of $80 that cocktail was. The trans had become increasigly notchy ever since I put it in and got to the point where first gear was being a real *****. It's way better now with the Amalie, but I think the synchros might be worn.

Drained the Motul/Red Line cocktail out of the trans and replaced it with Amalie Elixir synthetic 75w-90. What a waste of $80 that cocktail was. The trans had become increasigly notchy ever since I put it in and got to the point where first gear was being a real *****. It's way better now with the Amalie, but I think the synchros might be worn.

What were you running? I've seen a couple of different redline/motul combinations suggested - one being the redline shockproof with gear 300, and one with redline mtl and motul gear 300. The redline shockproof has always been something I've thought isn't a great idea for a daily driver... I've been running just plain old motul gear 300 for years (been using that since getting my WRX back in 02 until I got the GT and have had it in this car for about 8 years (when I first changed the gear oil) - it's worked just fine for me - I like it as since it's an ester based synthetic, it's very shear stable and in line with that, I notice no changes in performance from when it's new to when I changed it out last time after 45k miles or so. Can't say I noticed a change when I swapped from the factory fill to gear 300, either... I think gear oil selection can make a bigger difference when the synchros are worn, but if they aren't, good oil is good oil. If they are, then I bet oils designed to improve synchro function are a good thing (penzoil synchromesh, redline mtl or mt90, etc.) though they aren't usually gl5 rated...