LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Now that I bought an XT.. I really wish the legacy was a GT and not a NA :( sad clown. MOAR PWR

EDIT: Also.. I wish Subaru would really bolster up their seats. I'm driving a 2018 bare bones Nissan Sentra rental car all this week and it hugs my ass and love handles nicer than these things.

I initially looked at the USDM intake cams and they have a different part number than the STI cams. The STI intake cam hasn't changed since 2010.

Assuming the site is correct for part interchange, every BM/BR 5th Gen Legacy GT is going to have an oil scavenge as they all have a low mount turbo.

So I actually stopped by the shop working on my car today and he was in the middle of putting STI exhaust cams in my car. He was able to show me that our intake cams are the same part# exactly, while our exhaust cams are not and have noticeably less lift.

I intend to get a couple of WOT pulls of my car when I get it back so that we can get an idea of what STI exhaust cams and TGV deletes will do on an otherwise stage 2 ish car.

I didn't think to take pictures, but maybe I should have.

Edited by Sarang

So I actually stopped by the shop working on my car today and he was in the middle of putting STI exhaust cams in my car. He was able to show me that our intake cams are the same part# exactly, while our exhaust cams are not and have noticeably less lift.

I intend to get a couple of WOT pulls of my car when I get it back so that we can get an idea of what STI exhaust cams and TGV deletes will do on an otherwise stage 2 ish car.

I didn't think to take pictures, but maybe I should have.

Did the shop need new shims for the buckets? Or was it a straight drop in?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You are correct, the springs are different and the valves themselves are the same... must have read it wrong late last night. It's been a lot of late night part numbers lately.

I wonder if I should go stock STi valve springs or go with the Brian Cower springs for my spring upgrade? Sticking with stock valves and hoping for between 320-400 HP.

I would think that the stock STI springs should be fine, unless you're planning on cranking the rev limiter way up. Our stock springs on stock cams are (presumably) good to 7k RPM, since the OTS Accessport tunes raise it that far, so I'd imagine a stock STI spring and cam combo would be roughly the same.

There are aftermarket sets that are cheaper than the STI oem ones. I plan on using the BC ones myself when I do the STI cams. I think amazon has the set for like $80.

Do you have a link to the springs you were looking at on amazon?

Edit:

I found theses... https://www.amazon.com/Brian-Crower-BC1600-EJ205-WRX-EJ257-STi/dp/B000HKX0S2/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=Brian+Crower+subaru&qid=1553089982&s=automotive&sr=1-17

Would I need to get new retainers with the springs? The STi and LGT have different part numbers for the retainers too. Not sure what the difference would be between them.

Edited by stewdogg

Do you have a link to the springs you were looking at on amazon?

Edit:

I found theses... https://www.amazon.com/Brian-Crower-BC1600-EJ205-WRX-EJ257-STi/dp/B000HKX0S2/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=Brian+Crower+subaru&qid=1553089982&s=automotive&sr=1-17

Would I need to get new retainers with the springs? The STi and LGT have different part numbers for the retainers too. Not sure what the difference would be between them.

Those are them. The retainers and locks should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

note to self don't chase islandborn's power figures

Lol. Nah, remember, this is a 180k miles trans. It was holding power from the first tune at 10k. My 2005 Altima SER's trans went about this time.

Now, I'm not saying power had nothing to do with it - just that if you have that power, be smart, the trans can decently hold it. Pay to play.

OEM Subaru order Should be arriving to the shop today. Time to to take it easy on my back (getting old). Till I get to work on the Legacy this Friday on the 2 post lift.

Doing the following for the 100k mile mark

CVT trans fluid and replace the o-ring for the fill/check plugs

Front/rear diff gear oil (was replaced at 70,921 miles and it was pitch black). I'm debating to have it done.

Motor oil/filter with additives

Brake Flush

Power Steering flush

Coolant flush

Air/Cabin filter (replaced at 56,145 miles)

Replace (1) TPMS due to low battery (I had one TPMS replace at 80k mile)

Then I can call up my body/painter and schedule the Legacy in.

Edited by amusa

OEM Subaru order Should be arriving to the shop today. Time to to take it easy on my back (getting old). Till I get to work on the Legacy this Friday on the 2 post lift.

Doing the following for the 100k mile mark

CVT trans fluid and replace the o-ring for the fill/check plugs

Front/rear diff gear oil (was replaced at 70,921 miles and it was pitch black). I'm debating to have it done.

Motor oil/filter with additives

Brake Flush

Power Steering flush

Coolant flush

Air/Cabin filter (replaced at 56,145 miles)

Replace (1) TPMS due to low battery (I had one TPMS replace at 80k mile)

Then I can call up my body/painter and schedule the Legacy in.

If you are looking to save money, my differential fluid looked clean after the 2nd 30k mile oil change. The 1st change oil change has all the break in wear. If your doing itself it only cost oil and I think the CVT front diff has a front gasket.

I'm not taking the cover off for the Diff. I'm aware of the front plug gasket. I'm more concern doing the fluid for the CVT. I never done one on a CVT this will be my first. I'm already aware about the CVT trans has to be at a certain temperature to have the correct amount of CVT fluid in.

Saw Anzo headlights for the first time this morning. A white Outback with a mesh grill and Anzos appeared out of the KC rain on the highway and followed me for a couple miles. They look better in real life.

Apparently the turn signal LED's burnt out though, because he changed lanes an no signal.... ;)

yyJ5Liv.jpg

Cmod grill is on. I need to screw it down better on the bottom. I'm gonna pull the bumper off and paint the lower air dam or whatever it's called black and do the same kind of mesh in the lower portion. Should have the mufflers on sometime in the next week or two.

Crazy how different the car looked stock.

Edited by Timothy.B

Cmod grill is on. I need to screw it down better on the bottom. I'm gonna pull the bumper off and paint the lower air dam or whatever it's called black and do the same kind of mesh in the lower portion. Should have the mufflers on sometime in the next week or two.

Very clean. Love this look.

wow that car looks leagues better crazy what some wheels a grill and a lower lip do to the look.