LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alexmed2002 said:

I just turned on the dark theme and now I'm loving the new layout 😊

I will say it does look more modern!

Just so used to VBulletin forums, maybe when I poke around a bit more it will grow on me.

I do hope all the old threads survive the move here!

On 7/15/2022 at 10:55 PM, Scubaboo said:

I will say it does look more modern!

Just so used to VBulletin forums, maybe when I poke around a bit more it will grow on me.

I do hope all the old threads survive the move here!

I know exactly what you mean. It's taking me a bit to learn this whole new layout myself 😆

Not sure that I'm in love with this new format but at least I am getting e-mail notifications for my "Subscribed" threads again. I'll stick around a while longer and see if it grows on me.

I see that when I get an e-mail and click on the "go to this post" tab it takes me to the FORUMS page but not the exact thread or post....it also comes up in the dark theme until I sign in then it goes to the light coloured theme which I prefer....odd but amusing ☹️

Edited by Scooby Fan

On 7/19/2022 at 3:36 AM, creep_nu said:

im just glad the like/thanks button is back...and i'd assume all of the old posts too

I thanked your post because I didnt even notice the "thanks" feature was back lol

Edited by Scubaboo
Speling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just logged on after a while away, not like jail, more like work hell. And lo and behold, my beloved legacy GT dot com is BANANAS. What the hell.  I am getting pretty crusty when a format change freaks me out like this. Sigh. Rant concluded.  Hope everyone is well. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dudemonster said:

Just logged on after a while away, not like jail, more like work hell. And lo and behold, my beloved legacy GT dot com is BANANAS. What the hell.  I am getting pretty crusty when a format change freaks me out like this. Sigh. Rant concluded.  Hope everyone is well. 

I feel very similar. I find that if I zoom out to 80% on the page, the size of the text is much more similar to the old style, and my eyes find it easier to discern what I'm looking at. I will say, embedding images and video is significantly easier than the old forum, so once the growing pains wear off, it will actually work better. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I had a thought this morning about rwd conversions, I'll preface by saying I abhor LS swapped subarus I think they are stupid for lack of a more apt descriptor, but an ej powered rwd sedan I think I could appreciate. Something bmw-esque with power and suspension/wheel and tire combo to suit. All without the added 500 lbs on the nose of the car. It is an interesting proposition in my mind.

Edited by FLlegacy

A lot of what I like about Subarus is the AWD letting you lay down whatever power you have in any conditions, drama free.  But I admit, a rwd version with some power sounds like fun too!

Come to think of it, even maintaining the AWD but with more bias to the rear like older Subarus would work for me too.  My previous SG9 Forester with more rear bias was fun laying into the throttle in turns, better than the Legacy in that regard IMO.

I love the awd as well, the issue of course is the weak-links inherent to it and particularly our model years issues with swapping a stronger drivetrain in. I was just mulling the idea of a rwd conversion that I could appreciate. And there is a company making stand-alone control units for the ZF8hp transmission, lol. 350-400 hp EJ255 + ZF8 could be a fun car, or wagon for that matter...

7 hours ago, FLlegacy said:

I love the awd as well, the issue of course is the weak-links inherent to it and particularly our model years issues with swapping a stronger drivetrain in. I was just mulling the idea of a rwd conversion that I could appreciate. And there is a company making stand-alone control units for the ZF8hp transmission, lol. 350-400 hp EJ255 + ZF8 could be a fun car, or wagon for that matter...

I would never have thought to put a ZF tranny to do 2wd, I was thinking along the lines of removing the front axles and somehow making the 5EAT VTD system work in rwd only.  Are there ZF 8hp tranny swaps in Subarus nowadays?

The standalone for the tranny is one thing, I wonder if it can talk to the rest of the car.

7 hours ago, Scubaboo said:

I would never have thought to put a ZF tranny to do 2wd, I was thinking along the lines of removing the front axles and somehow making the 5EAT VTD system work in rwd only.  Are there ZF 8hp tranny swaps in Subarus nowadays?

The standalone for the tranny is one thing, I wonder if it can talk to the rest of the car.

AFAIK it doesn't need to talk to the car, I don't think the car needs much in the way of communication, shaft speeds and reverse and nuetral indications maybe. If you wanted to keep the 5eat, I would be willing to bet a nissan rwd 5eat would be a close match, either way a bellhousing adapter would be needed.

1 hour ago, FLlegacy said:

AFAIK it doesn't need to talk to the car, I don't think the car needs much in the way of communication, shaft speeds and reverse and nuetral indications maybe. If you wanted to keep the 5eat, I would be willing to bet a nissan rwd 5eat would be a close match, either way a bellhousing adapter would be needed.

I honestly dont know if it does or not.  I do remember romraider pulling up a lot of parameters off the 5EAT from the OBD port.  I dont know if the car will be looking for those or not.  

I didnt know there were Nissan 2wd 5EAT's, the only Nissan I recall reading that have these were the Armadas IIRC.  Putting in a 2WD 5EAT in makes it sound almost easy!  I'd love to see someone do it!

I dont know about EJ25 - FA20 compatibility, but a BRZ drivetrain may be another rwd conversion option.

39 minutes ago, Scubaboo said:

I honestly dont know if it does or not.  I do remember romraider pulling up a lot of parameters off the 5EAT from the OBD port.  I dont know if the car will be looking for those or not.  

I didnt know there were Nissan 2wd 5EAT's, the only Nissan I recall reading that have these were the Armadas IIRC.  Putting in a 2WD 5EAT in makes it sound almost easy!  I'd love to see someone do it!

I dont know about EJ25 - FA20 compatibility, but a BRZ drivetrain may be another rwd conversion option.

The BRZ trans is only good to about 260-280 hp. My though was to convert a GT not a 3.6 so the tcm wouldn't be an issue. The 5eat has a lot more requirements to run it than the 6mt for sure. I am sure it's not easy, I am also sure the Nissan 5eat would be another headache, but not nearly as bad as trying to convert an awd 5eat to RWD, that would also leave the issue of the added weight of the front diff and transfer gears along with the now unnecessarily large transmission.

Edited by FLlegacy

• 1 month later...

How bonkers would I need to be to undertake an EJ25 JDM + JDM 6MT trans swap into my 2.5i? I understand I'd need to replace a host of components around them, but if I've got the suspension and chassis ready to go it should theoretically be not too custom of a swap? Looking like my CVT might be toast... so if spending the money... 

I think due to the subframe layout you would need an EJ25 off a Legacy with the bottom mount turbo.  I see those and JDM front clips on ebay I think, so there are people bringing in.

No idea about the electronics and other stuff needed though

On 11/11/2022 at 3:11 PM, Loya1ty said:

How bonkers would I need to be to undertake an EJ25 JDM + JDM 6MT trans swap into my 2.5i? I understand I'd need to replace a host of components around them, but if I've got the suspension and chassis ready to go it should theoretically be not too custom of a swap? Looking like my CVT might be toast... so if spending the money... 

As long as it is a 5th gen gt powertrain it will bolt right in, then you need a 4.11 rear diff and the entire wiring harness and dash from a GT. From the whole car not just the engine, along with the body control unit, fuel control module...everything.

Honestly not worth it, unless it was an outback, then it would be IMO.

Would genuinely be easier and likely cheaper to just sell your 2.5i and buy a GT. There's no huge real difference between the JDM GT and USDM GT as far as engine and trans is concerned. They have a few tertiary difference like power steering type and a bit of different tuning, but other than that they're the same.

The JDM ej255 motors have different pistons with higher CR. Yes sell 2.5i and buy a GT. I don’t even think it would be worth the effort to buy a hit GT and transplant it into a 2.5i unless you don’t value your time (labor).