LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

I know that's usually the consensus, but the 2 GTs I've seen are 15 and 18k. I might be able to get 5k for mine. I would hope I could get away with a project and some elbow grease for under 10k, and could do it in stages to budget/time. My car's body is pretty clean too. IDK lol I'm desperate to not let this thing die with all the cost I have into it to date for CVT death to end it. Wife will probably squash it anyway. I'm just sad.

Finally got through to someone at the dealer after 1.5 weeks of 2-3 calls per day (trying to be empathetic due to vacations and such). But story has changed again on the CVT failure, albeit in my favor this time. Apparently during the valve body replacement an o-ring went missing or was missing? So that was discovered due to secondary pressure not holding and further investigation. So they are taking responsibility on that issue and will be replacing the CVT with a used one with about 120k miles on it and I'll only be on the hook for the initial valve body repair cost. At least that is the story I'm being told now.. documenting here but I've asked for all of that to be sent over in a new work order for my authorization.

so are they installing the new valve body in the used transmission? and are they giving any sort of warranty?  good to find out it was their fault and are covering repair, but...i'd be very wary of them doing any work opening the transmission again if they're not giving a warranty.

2 hours ago, creep_nu said:

so are they installing the new valve body in the used transmission? and are they giving any sort of warranty?  good to find out it was their fault and are covering repair, but...i'd be very wary of them doing any work opening the transmission again if they're not giving a warranty.

They should be issuing a warranty at the bare minimum. I'm surprised they're also using a used transmission with higher mileage...

Edited by Alexmed2002

22 hours ago, creep_nu said:

Yeah I'm a little wary as well but I have little alternatives at this point. They are offering a 1 year warranty on the replacement tranny and will be using the new valve body on it. This tranny technically has 60k less miles, but i don't know anything about it. My car has been very well maintained so definitely a bummer to have to go this route. More motivation to sell tbh, but at least I'm not on the hook for another $1700 bucks.

oh, i should also mentioned I straight up asked them what they would give me for it if I just said they handle the repairs and costs... came back with $500 lmao. What a joke. BuT uSeD cAr PrIcEs ArE aT aN aLa TiMe HiGh.

Edited by Loya1ty

wow--crooks...what dealer so i know to *never* go there?  1 year on a very well used trans is about all you can expect unfortunately...just a crappy sich they put you in.  fingers crossed that's the end of it, and at least you shouldn't have to worry about getting dinged if you do sell it, which i wouldn't blame you if you did

2 hours ago, creep_nu said:

wow--crooks...what dealer so i know to *never* go there?  1 year on a very well used trans is about all you can expect unfortunately...just a crappy sich they put you in.  fingers crossed that's the end of it, and at least you shouldn't have to worry about getting dinged if you do sell it, which i wouldn't blame you if you did

It's Brown's Subaru of Manassas - which as of the last couple of weeks has been bought out to be Safford Brown Subaru Manassas. They'll regarded as more reputable than some of the other ones like Beyer and Stohlman, so I may be the outlier here... they are also finally making it right, albeit due to my knowledge and persistence. Most other folks probably would have just signed the line. I may be benefiting from the buy out, and new ownership wanting to keep things on the up. Who knows. Holding my breath until I get the work order and authorize it though.

oh manasshole...that's where i bought my impreza years ago, but didn't have any other dealings with them since i live in richmond.  but yeah fair, hope all goes well with what they've provided and the techs get everything right

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 4:04 PM, creep_nu said:

oh manasshole...that's where i bought my impreza years ago, but didn't have any other dealings with them since i live in richmond.  but yeah fair, hope all goes well with what they've provided and the techs get everything right

Finally have the Leggy back in my possession today. Seems to be driving fine and all good after the trans replacement. But would have been too easy if everything was in order as I expect them to be lol of course the final invoice had a few line items i needed to push on. a $670 'labor charge' on the valve body replacement - but its listed as 'check transmission'. The initial repair item didn't have it listed and it appeared the labor was already calculated previously.  They also did work they claimed I requested, but I didn't authorize. license plate bulb for safety inspection - I would have done myself and got it inspected later instead of paying $40 in labor for the $7 bulb. I also had those replaced only a couple of years ago with LEDs.. so idk about that in the first place. And they inexplicably tossed out my K&N engine and cabin air filters and replaced them.. charging me $70+ to do it. Must have ignored the large stop sign stickers and common sense. At this point my gut tells me the tech wasn't happy I didn't just roll over and pay for a transmission they bombed, and was knowledgeable enough to push back and get it sorted, so they did these ticky tacky things to F with me. Never going back there, that's for sure. I did get them to take %25 off the final bill, but I still feel like I paid out 100-200 more than I should have. Not to mention how inconvenient this BS has been.

On 12/14/2022 at 8:49 AM, Loya1ty said:

Must have ignored the large stop sign stickers and common sense. At this point my gut tells me the tech wasn't happy I didn't just roll over and pay for a transmission they bombed, and was knowledgeable enough to push back and get it sorted, so they did these ticky tacky things to F with me.

If the stickers, etc. were still there, I would not have rolled over on this one - pretty much out of spite I would have demanded they put the filters you had in there back, since you paid specifically to have those when you purchased them, and put the stickers there to warn folks.  Of course they would have tossed them, so given how long and frustrating it was, I would offer an "out" of having them waive the cost of crap you neither ordered nor wanted, and which you had warning signs on there specifically for them not to do.

I had issues after my short block was replaced where the car was stuck in limp mode for no apparent reason, and they were working on fixing it - they treated me well, giving me a loaner the entire time, but after weeks of them looking in to it, I find out that the tech who had replaced the short block was deployed with the reserves, so they were waiting for them to return - the discussion I had with them about that was that this was quite clearly not a "me" problem, and they made it right, but you have to push (just be nice about it) which is really frustrating sometimes.

Yeah, the filters def irked me. Which got me the 25% from initial offer of 20% discount. Still planning to talk to the Service Manager mostly for the warranty details, but I won't decline any additional opportunity for discounts for sure lol I've certainly handled myself well, i think. I find just continually asking clarifying questions to be an effective way to communicate that I'm not accepting what they're saying and it doesn't align with my or reasonable expectations lol

• Like 1

Well last month I flew to Sacramento to drive my new to me obxt 5spd. Has various suspension goodies and is the perfect wagon for me finally.

Couple things within the past week.

First oil change since getting the car home last month. Oil still looked good but did it anyways. Used a Valvoline subbrand I can't remember what it was, I'll post again once I find out. Car seems to like it and is running quieter.

Also installed a grimmspeed intake and flashed on the tune for it from Snail performance. Knowing the guys at my local place I had him do a few logs and said he felt good about it and we left everything as is. The intake sounds are awesome now that's for sure.

Also scored some 15wrx+ axle backs. My back bumper is already melted from the stromung that was on it before. I chose not to buy it with it since was pretty rough looking. So we'll see what modifications need down for these to tuck back there.

Last item I picked up this evening were a set of 225/55 Blizzaks on some OEM wheels for a really great. So I figured what the heck, let's get em.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Officially hit my 10yr anniversary with my GT!  It's the first car I really worked on (outside of regular maintenance items), and I've made alotta 5th gen friends along the way. Been way more smiles than frowns with this car and I hope to keep it going until my kids can drive so I can teach them how to drive stick. The GT has come a long way, and none of it would have been possible without the insight and support of the 5th Gen Forum fam!357138059_10161944276039523_2432808408325764056_n.thumb.jpg.d21f22c5ad21ad47cb7ef949bd43e224.jpg357724202_10161944277894523_1138010780267699184_n.thumb.jpg.407eb14d6474e82faab151e9574722be.jpg

• Like 6

In my opinion the Legacy platform is an easy one to love "Long term" I have been driving Legacy's since 2006 and have loved them all 🥰

2006 Legacy GT 5MT.......2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT Limited.......2013 Legacy 3.6R Limited .....and still going strong. I would probably buy another one but both 5th Gens have such low mileage I just can't see the point....total miles from both of then is about 85,000 KM....that is about  51,000 Miles  (Combined) Scooby Too drives the silver 2012 and my TBM 2013 is still pristine.

I should have added that there were 2 Imprezas, a WRX and an STi mixed in there too! But this is a Legacy forum 😉

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Scooby Fan
  • Like 3