LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

as much as i love my 5th gen, those 4th gens will forever and always be the most handsome leggys ever made, just absolute classic...that and the volvo s60 from that time frame just knocked it out of the park.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scooby Fan said:

In my opinion the Legacy platform is an easy one to love "Long term" I have been driving Legacy's since 2006 and have loved them all 🥰

2006 Legacy GT 5MT.......2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT Limited.......2013 Legacy 3.6R Limited .....and still going strong. I would probably buy another one but both 5th Gens have such low mileage I just can't see the point....total miles from both of then is about 85,000 KM....that is about  51,000 Miles  (Combined) Scooby Too drives the silver 2012 and my TBM 2013 is still pristine.

I should have added that there were 2 Imprezas, a WRX and an STi mixed in there too! But this is a Legacy forum 😉

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Nice collection!

Was thinking of getting a newer Forester but with the Legacy going strong and being so fun to drive, I am not seeing the point right now either.

spacer.png

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Scubaboo said:

Nice collection!

Was thinking of getting a newer Forester but with the Legacy going strong and being so fun to drive, I am not seeing the point right now either.

I may be biased, but I like both in their own way. The Forester is very comfy and has all the tech, but the GT is way more fun.

On 7/5/2023 at 10:50 AM, creep_nu said:

as much as i love my 5th gen, those 4th gens will forever and always be the most handsome leggys ever made, just absolute classic...that and the volvo s60 from that time frame just knocked it out of the park.

I agree.  The front end of a 4th looks really good compared to my 6th gen.  Only gripe about my 4th gen is the color.  Harvest Wheat is not my first or fifth choice. But got the 3.0R dirt cheat with 60k on it so cannot complain that much. 

As far as the S60. I had a S60 R. Great car and did turn a few heads.  Traded that in on an S4 and actually made money.

Only 4th gen on my list now is an unmolested Spec B and that is a unicorn in itself these days.  However we have a little old lady that drives a VW R32 in my town.  Tempting....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Falcor said:

I may be biased, but I like both in their own way. The Forester is very comfy and has all the tech, but the GT is way more fun.

I felt the same after a few test drives.  

One thing I am having some trouble with now is going places with the family.  Some parking spots and driveways are scrape city lol.  Playing with the coilovers to see how much clearance I can get back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Been throwing around the idea of trimming up my old 2010 Outback Rally Armor mudflaps and make them fit on the GT. I emailed Rally Armor and found out the Legacy mud flaps are 2" shorter. The rears will need a bit of modifying though. 

1 hour ago, Falcor said:

Been throwing around the idea of trimming up my old 2010 Outback Rally Armor mudflaps and make them fit on the GT. I emailed Rally Armor and found out the Legacy mud flaps are 2" shorter. The rears will need a bit of modifying though. 

I don't see why not. Post pics if you do!

• Like 1

The GT got to go for a ride this afternoon. 😑

I think it may be the fuel pump, it started dropping power on the highway when I pressed the gas, and died when I stopped on the off ramp. The down side is we were 2hrs from home. Had it towed to the closest Subaru dealer. Will update when it gets diagnosed.

IMG_1626.jpeg

• Sad 4

Service Advisor called this morning and I ok'd the diagnostic fee ($159.00). My wife and I have a competition, I thought it would be a $500 fix, she says $1k. After looking up the price of OEM fuel pumps, I think we will land somewhere in between.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:29 AM, creep_nu said:

ruh roh...didn't you just have your tbelt and stuff done recently?

Yup. All new OEM parts. I bought the parts and a local mechanic installed.

From what the dealership told me, nothing failed, but they did mention the guides were loose. They went through everything and put it back in time. Currently they are getting ready to start it up and confirm no damage was done internally. 

Waiting to hear their diagnosis. I have a feeling install was the issue.

3 hours ago, Falcor said:

Yup. All new OEM parts. I bought the parts and a local mechanic installed.

From what the dealership told me, nothing failed, but they did mention the guides were loose. They went through everything and put it back in time. Currently they are getting ready to start it up and confirm no damage was done internally. 

Waiting to hear their diagnosis. I have a feeling install was the issue.

I hope the local mechanic will honor the mistake if they didn't do the work correctly.

I’m hoping he helps out some. Not getting my hopes up though. The dealership ended up giving me a loaner. The timing belt was damaged and had to be replaced. So, two timing belts in 2k miles. 😑 The belt guides were loose and a few other parts were loose. I’m having them make sure to spell this out so I can take it to the local shop.

Grand total will be right about $1500 for diagnostics and install of the new belt.

IMG_2214.jpeg

14 hours ago, Falcor said:

I’m hoping he helps out some. Not getting my hopes up though. The dealership ended up giving me a loaner. The timing belt was damaged and had to be replaced. So, two timing belts in 2k miles. 😑 The belt guides were loose and a few other parts were loose. I’m having them make sure to spell this out so I can take it to the local shop.

Grand total will be right about $1500 for diagnostics and install of the new belt.

sheesh, lucky that nothing happened to the valves...are they replacing the tensioner, idlers and everything as well as a precaution?  good luck with the shop, they don't like to pay anything back out

Got the GT back on Saturday. It was all good, but I got a P0420 code on the way back home yesterday. Stopped and Googled the code. It could be a few things, and the only one I could do on the side of the road was reinstall the gas cap. Cleared it on the AP and it has not came back.

It was weird though, the cruise shutoff and started flashing, brake light flashing, check engine and traction control lights came on. After I cleared the code everything was back to normal.

• Like 1

Got with the local shop. They ended up covering the entire cost of the repair from Subaru. Everyone I talk to here has nothing but good things to say about them and they honored their warranty.  That's great customer service. 

• Like 6